I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

• 2 weeks later...

There are over 200 *known* anvil manufacturers in England over the last couple of hundred years. Even finding another identical anvil wouldn't mean they were made by the same manufacturer. Probably the best you can do is to research "styles" to get an idea of when and perhaps where it was made.

I would contact Richard Postman directly by mail with good pictures of all sides and ask for his opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I picked up my first London pattern anvil. Not a big one by any means, but usable enough to hold me over until I can justify spending the bucks on a big boy. This little devil ia a Trenton 100lbs with a maker's mark of "T" before the weight. Im told that the serial number corresponds with the manufacture date of 1908. I can't confirm this yet, but I will drop a photo in the Trenton ID thread to get some knowing eyes on it.  I may have paid a little too much for it but its got great rebound and rings like a bell, even with a couple minor cracks and repairs.  There is maybe a 1/16" or less saddle on the face. But I figure its still got a lifetime or so of being on the receiving end of a 2lb hammer. 20201010_102324.thumb.jpg.7974e4a8b1ccdc7a044572c989bae81e.jpg

20201010_102350.thumb.jpg.4f8a9772701ad7b869cd611a930b2442.jpg

20201010_103432.thumb.jpg.6a7e7c14420145b9b35ec1cd079573d0.jpg

I believe Glenn is saying to break the sharp transition from the face to the chamfer and dome the face SLIGHTLY. The sharp corner between face and chamfer WILL cut marks in your work where you don't want them. 

Ditto Jenifer, the handle should go into your hammer, handle stock pile, it's just something to trip over where it is now.

Frosty The Lucky.