I Forge Iron

Asking for prayers and good wishes at the beginning of a new venture

JHCC

After many, many months of planning, soul-searching, and dreaming big, my lovely wife Lisa has today made a handshake deal on a small suite that will be the first physical home of her new yarn store. This has been a long time coming, and any prayers, best wishes, good vibes, or whatever you care to contribute would be most welcome!!

Good luck to you and Lisa on this.  I have a good friend who ran a yarn, fiber, and more store here in Laramie for many years.  If you want her contact info so that she and Lisa could compare notes please PM me.  Also, she always did well with a booth at the various regional fiber events such as the Estes Park Wool Market.  I assume you have similar things in Ohio.

GNM

Wish I could contribute my wife's yarn collection and free up a couple of closets and a guest room...  Probably wouldn't make it through the night afterwards though ^_^.

Seriously, best of luck, it is kind of a tough time to open something up.  I'm a big fan of craft stores though, always room for more.

From one steel wool couple to another, Deb and I send our best wishes for the new start. For this one rare time I'll speak for Deb, it's a shoo in she does. ;)

Does Lisa spin? Spinners like to get together over coffee, Tea, etc. spin and talk. A Friend of Deb's opened a fiber shop next door to the UPS store where we get out mail. It's called "Fiber and Ice" and it's almost never empty when she's open. There always seem to be a couple few ladies and a guy or two now and then spinning, knitting, weaving, or sewing. There is a quilt in a frame if anybody is inclined. 

All my best, Frosty The Lucky. 

All the best!  They say there’s a great woman behind every good man, or something like that.  Seeing the work that you churn out I reckon she’ll get get on great.:D give me a shout in June when we’re shearing, if stock is low :ph34r:

Of all the things I've ever been involved in . . . my little leather goods shop has been one of the most fun things.  It's a belt here . . . holster there . . . knife sheath . . . made my first fireman's suspenders a month or so ago . . .  

I pray that your venture will give you the emotional rewards mine has given me.

May God bless,

Dwight

We were discussing whether or not I should continue supplying bowls to another yarn shop a few towns over, or if she should be the sole distributor. I'm inclined to the latter, especially since she plans to do online selling (which the other store does not).

• 2 weeks later...

frosty there's lots of sheep here I know of 4 maybe 5 farms that have large flocks and many others that run just a few sheep for themselves the largest one i know runs somewhere around 300 head I want to say not sure I think that's average with lambs but most don't save wool the one raises hair sheep for meat the large one raises for meat and doesn't save wool and the one who has the wool shop I think she does mainly meat and outsources for wool at her shop the problem is lots of them are pastured and the wool gets dirty to the point its not worth trying to clean

M.J.Lampert

You have to clean raw wool regardless and pastures are typically much cleaner than barn yards. Deb washes wool 2-3 times depending on how dirty it is. Picking sticks, leaves and pasture raisins out isn't so onerous. 

Raw wool is also really good for finishing iron work, lanolin is attractive, durable and softens hands. I finished tools for the ladies with lanolin by rubbing it with raw wool. The spinners loved the idea, nothing to discolor their wool and no, it doesn't stink.

Frosty The Lucky.

There are only a few places left that can clean wool on a scale larger than a kitchen sink.  In our area there is only one in Scottsbluff, NE.  So, a lot of fiber, sheep wool and llama and alpaca is never processed.  I can't recall the number of times that Martha ran into someone who raised llamas or alpacas and was told they had a stall full of their wool and she was welcome to as much as she could haul away.  Often, alpaca, being of a higher quality, is worth shipping off uncleaned.

As Frosty says, cleaning wool on the scale of a few skeins of yarn is not too bad a chore but doing it on a larger scale is at least an order of magnitude more difficult.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."