I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Today I installed a couple of sockets and light in my new workshop/shed.

It means I can finally move everything out of the garage and return it to a cleaner state for the bikes and general use.

V2RUFVg.jpg

I also made a handle for the wire brush (and decided to hang it on a previously made hook... because why not)

8x5X6OV.jpg

Other than that, just a bit of lifting and shifting. Need to get a small bench of some description added, and make a few more hooks and hangers for things like the grinder, hammer/tongs rack, and other bits and pieces now that I have a more permanent place to work.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Cool, nice handle! Do you by any chance follow Matt Marti on Facebook?

Littleblacksmith 

Thanks Mark, there were a couple rejects before I got this one right. I need to make a handle template.  

I still can bring myself to join Facebook but I do follow him on Instagram. Why do you ask?

Had a bit of a rough one today. Hadn't been in the forge for a few weeks.

Made a hook that i was happy with just to check my rhythm, then had a go at a few more leaf key fobs but just kept losing them to cracks which was irritating but can only get better tomorrow. Also made a start on a bottle opener.

On December 17, 2017 at 12:27 AM, Ranchmanben said:

Thanks Mark, there were a couple rejects before I got this one right. I need to make a handle template.  

I still can bring myself to join Facebook but I do follow him on Instagram. Why do you ask?

I was making a handle last night, and when I charged it it split, I didn't even over char it. So, then the next one while I was cutting the slot for the wedge part of the handle split of haha. Oh well, it takes probably like 30 minutes from start to finish to make a handle, it just stinks that I have wasted 2 handle blanks. 

I was just asking because you did a half charred handle, something he does on almost every handle of his, almost now his signature thing . I do it a lot on mine, after I took a class a couple years ago with him I really liked the look of it and the contrast between the charred and un charred. 

Speaking of Matt, on Saturday, spent part of a day with him on Saturday and forged a couple hammers, pictures will come later! His power hammer is a beast! Speeds things up a lot.

Littleblacksmith 

13 hours ago, JustAnotherViking said:

Nicely done. Any tips for doing feathers? My attempts always end up looking like leaves.

I use a piece of 1" flat stock, Shape the feather then draw out the quill. Run a line with a mason chisel and use it as a guide for widening and leave the cut a little proud. Then work up one side and down the other with a cross peen. I also use a hot cut on the edges to give it a little separation look.

Built a new welding cart for my little welder and plasma cutter out of a cheap old cart I had laying around. The carts wheels were inset and made it easy to tip so I unbolted them and welded them outer most and added some bracing. The last actual welding cart was cheap and bent over where the gas bottle sits. It's a good stable cart now. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

13 hours ago, WranglerSS said:

I started my scrolling jig. I got all I the 1/2" holes drilled and will do the 1/4" today.

Wow, that's nice drilling exercise!

Lately I've been playing around with picture frame ideas. This came out of it (the frame, not the baby!) Angle iron starting stock for the two parts of the frame, and 10x5mm MS for the small parts. The leg is fixed, works in both vertical and horizontal positions.

5a3acc4414176_201712fenykepkeret1b1.thumb.jpg.91a333bcc7adb4597efc0bd21d92af1b.jpg5a3acc463c982_201712fenykepkeret1b2.thumb.jpg.4c0eaa16695bea653b4491a577e1cc10.jpg5a3acc4851e26_201712fenykepkeret1b3.thumb.jpg.3cdd380fc7ceb221be449ec0ce11d309.jpg

Bests:

Gergely