• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did the basic welding on a combination RR track anvil base/portable hole. Much still to be done, but alas, I’ve run out of welding wire. 

E643B3AB-19AB-499E-8B62-E33C286B2ACF.jpeg

815D578F-BAA9-44E2-A5E2-6BC10B5CAF4C.jpeg

1CECC0C5-6473-49C2-8973-90E222817195.jpeg

There will  be an adapter to reduce the size of the hole to match the hardy hole in my anvil. 

320FA2A6-6659-4466-A90F-3EDA4862F02D.jpeg

Here is the underside of the top, before welding. As you can see, it’s made up from very heavy angle iron. 

9E358E3A-474A-4043-9B1B-14F7F0F3416E.jpeg

Nothing better than a busy day, and today was a very busy day for me.  Managed to get a whole bunch of metal shaped and carved for folks.  And I got to try out my new square punch made from sucker rod -- it's made in the Aspery style and did a good job, though the poor thing isn't nearly as stout as I was hoping it was going to be.  She punched a good clean slug for the bottle opener's tooth to pass through, and that's the important part.

IMG_6159.jpg

Very nice, TC2. I have only one small critique (and it's not about the knife): The background of the photo is rather busy, and the knife would stand out much better if it were posed against a more simple background. Just the leaves or (preferably) the gravel would probably be fine, but both plus the dulcimer makes for a lot of visual distraction. 

The knife itself is great, though. Really well done.

4 hours ago, JustAnotherBiker said:

How many spools of wire have you gone through so far?

Well, I finished off one spool while using it in the scene shop, and I just used up the spool that was in it when I got it last week. The good news is that while my smithing budget doesn't currently have enough room for purchase of a 10 lb. spool, the 2 lb. spool is on sale at TSC.

15 minutes ago, Tubalcain2 said:

Thanks Guys! C-1Toolsteel was good enough to put an edge on it for me. Sharpening is not my forte'.

The first thing I learned in my apprenticeship in the violin repair shop was how to sharpen. I can't say it's quite my forte, but at least it's not my mezzopiano.