I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

16 hours ago, ausfire said:

BF, those are beautiful hammers. I can see why those small ball peens would be labour intensive.

Thanks man! I didn't know what I got myself into with that ball peen. I only have small sanders so it takes a long time, but it was definitely worth it.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have a problem roasting them; but keep them above the fire, I like toasted and not flaming marshmallows. There were simple: take a length of heavy steel wire . Double it and leave a bit to expand into a handle and twist till about 8" from the open ends. Bend the open ends out into a T then in to make the "fork"  (I use a piece of sq tubing to "size" them.) then I taper and point the tines using the heel of my anvil.  I leave the tines square as that helps keep hot dogs from rotating on them and to a degree marshmallows.

Sorry, No pictures till my phone gets back to me.  Anyway the bottle opener hasn't been prettied up yet still "rough from the forge".

Today I made a small bending jig. Simply slide the halves closer or further to adjust

itrU3ks.jpg

Did a small test to bend a hook, worked fine. Might make another couple with different sized bars to bend around. 

How useful it will be remains to be seen. 

The next project today was another bottle opener

0E5w35v.jpg

Finally tody I started on my first knife using a bit of coil spring. 

Other than using it for making a few punches (taper, grind, heat treat), this is my first real time working a higher carbon steel. That stuff certainly fights back compared to mild steel!!!

No pictures yet... It's currently in the oven to temper, so hopefully I'll have something to show at a later stage if I don't make a complete mess of grinding and profiling the edge.

All being well it should loosely resemble a viking style seax. 

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherViking said:

Did a small test to bend a hook, worked fine. Might make another couple with different sized bars to bend around. 

If you make another with a 1/2" square post, you can use different size sockets from a socket wrench. See this post:

Or get a couple of extensions and cut off the ends and weld them on to have the right size and the little retention gizmos.  (PLEASE BEWARE OF WELDING PLATED MATERIALS!)  I've run into so many 50 cent extensions over the years at fleamarkets and yard sales and some of them were not plated!

Done alot since the last time I posted, but here is a couple things. 

forged a hatchet with my cousin along with a 3-D horse head. Also a small quick knife, and then I forged a larger chopper. Has a horse head forged on the back of the handle that I like because it acts as a bit of a counterweight. handle wood is black walnut, blade forged from 5160, blued finish. Oh, and also a horse head belt buckle.

Littleblacksmith 

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

littleblacksmith -

That hatchet is awesome, Mark! Clean lines, well proportioned, classic shape yet very modern look. I like it so much I don't even want to copy it ;):) 

If I may say one thing about the little "viking style" knife: try to draw the handle part a bit thinner. Like a long but gentle taper.  You don't need much meat in that part and it looks way more elegant.

Bests to you and thanks for sharing!

Gergely

Had a go at making a couple of treble clef wall hooks the other day. (Musical people like them.) Found it difficult and time consuming to get an even bend, although the resulting hooks were acceptable. Light-bulb moment .... make life easier by making a jig.  Knocked off early from today's demo (too hot anyway) and made a jig from some 1/4 tank bolts and a piece of 1/4 plate. Tried it out and found it much easier to make the treble clefs. I will practise a bit more and become better at making them match, because this sort of thing often sells well in pairs.

Stock used was 720mm of 8mm mild round bar. Got some 3/8 wrought that might make things interesting (or perhaps frustrating).

They are far from perfect, but I'm getting better:

clef1.JPG

clef2.JPG

12 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Shouldn't the belt buckle open bottles too?

My dad said the same thing haha.

Thank you Chris! I liked the hatchet alot too. I wanted the handle to be a D guard, but the customer insisted for it to be like this, was his choice not mine unfortunately.

Wow, Thank you Gergely! I see what you are saying on the knife, will be sure to thin it down a little more next time.

SFC Snuffy- Thank you! The customer had seen the one on forged in fire and said they wanted something similar. The balance is quite good, I think that if the horse head wasn't there that the blade would be way too front heavy.

Thank you Elijah!

Littleblacksmith