I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

12 hours ago, BOUNTY FORGE said:

Sounds like I should forge stainless in a meat packing plant...everything should be stainless there lol.

When you heat SS above 900 C grade it losts its stainless-ness. So you can hot forge it on your anvil with your regular hammer. After the forging you need to reestablish the stainless surface by passivation. (Or surface grinding, or electro polishing.) After you've made the new stainless surface you must be handle it like in a meat packing plant :) 

When you hammer your SS cold that's when the stainless hammer and "anvil" may come into the picture.

Bests:

Gergely

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, Daswulf said:

In other words, getting the iron to attack the chrome?  

I havnt messed with it in a few days since I have been finding the heavy work of making the stake anvil good therapy for a very frustrating work week. :rolleyes:

No, let electrolysis move chrome molecules to the electrode. Chrome plate something that's not a hazmat so you can throw it away and not feel guilty.

It might take a more aggressive electrolyte though, a little HCL or H2SO4? Maybe someone who knows something about chemistry will speak up. 

Remember, electrons are your friends, learn how to ask they'll do your bidding.

Frosty The Lucky.

I should have time to get back at that this weekend. I have some other things to try first. I really don't want to crawl too deep into the rabbit hole. If it can't be done simply, safe and inexpensive, it just isn't worth it for some extra bits to weld up. 

I don't put anything with chrome on it near my forge and certainly don't weld it. I do use some chrome coated stuff (mainly spanners) occasionally in the recycled art and I just build a big fire and burn the chrome off. It seems that the chrome on most things has an underlayer of copper or nickel or something. If I understand it right, chrome melts at a higher temp than steel and it's the layer of copper that melts and takes the chrome into the ash with it.

Edit: I guess that method may be problematic for those in an urban environment.

Just now, ausfire said:

I just build a big fire and burn the chrome off.

This is a HORRIBLE idea, as has been discussed here numerous times. Hexavalent chromium is highly toxic, and even if you're not making yourself sick, you're risking the lives and health of everyone downwind. Would you want someone upwind of you putting something in the air that could give your kids lung cancer?

It's had a hard life, I'm just letting it have a nap. :D

Actually, it was leaning against the bench, I knocked it over and the u bolt snapped (that holds the spring and mounting bracket together) ... So add a new u bolt to my to do list.

Luckily I have some round bar the right size... Hopefully I can dig out a die that'll cut the right size threads. 

The bench is too high for it, but I've got a source for a load of 6" box section, so I'll be sorting out a movable post for it once that arrives. Bit of concrete poured into the bottom and some plate welded on 

1 hour ago, Ranchmanben said:

Corkscrew I whipped out for a birthday party this evening. This would have been a good time for smaller maker stamp.

Lovely lines.. Well done.. 

1 hour ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

JLP, thanks for doing your part to offset the bad information out there

My Pleasure my Friend..  It's one of the main reasons I got back involved.. Lots of mighty fine smiths coming up now.. It's great to see.. 

4 hours ago, JustAnotherBiker said:

The bench is too high for it

I have that problem with mine. There are many fixes. I'm kinda holding off on building a new stronger work bench. 

Ben, Nice work, what steel did you use? I keep thinking they need to be made of higher carbon steel but that might just be a misconception I have. 

I agree with Charles. It's a great service to Show people good forging info JLP. 

Can you mount it on the bottom of the top instead of the top?  That should get you an inch or two.  Also one of my large vises I bought mounted to a bench where they had put a drop down steel strap to mount the vise to    ----______----     About 3/8" thick and 4-6" wide. Drop is at least 4".  Been in use since about 1918 and still works fine...

53 minutes ago, Lou L said:

Nice Das!  Did you temper it in the oven?  Did you draw more temper in the shaft?  This is something I must do one day for sure.  It deserves a thread of its own because I’m selfish and want to know everything ;) 

Lol. I just heated the top portion and risked quenching in water. It is skating a file and I sanded it out a bit. I'm happy so far. Before a ball pien left a divot and now it dosnt. I'll do some further tests ( as in mounting it and forging on it) then I might make its own post. I did do a Lot of grinding tho... So if you are good doing that?... Lol. 

I must be strange tho. I like grinding and know a lot of people that despise it. 

@JHCC Thanks.