I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Today I made a set of bolts for the shed doors so I can pin them open when the forge is lit (in windy conditions, to stop them blowing closed) 

idGntyY.jpg

Naturally I measured wrong and had to make a second set of bolts. Fortunately they were a bit better matched than the first try. 

zIJ5Xl6l.jpg

Got all the parts installed. 

DqEyxshl.jpg

Tomorrow I'll drill holes in the concrete slabs outside the shed and see if they work. 

May have to add another piece or two for stability or make a third set of bolts but using bigger stock, possibly round instead of square so it's  tighter in the brackets... Or shrink my brackets... We shall see. 

Might also have to replace the other factory made bolts and brackets that came installed to something of a similar aesthetic 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not so much what I did today, but, what I did recently for Christmas presents. A branding iron, split cross, and a fire poker (the scroll at the handle works as a bottle opener). They went over very well, especially since most didn’t know I’d even started this amazing hobby. I get a lot of inspiration from this site so feel free to critique, I’m thick skinned and always looking for advice

213464AE-E601-43B9-B5DA-51F4EAFB6BB9.jpeg

7450C938-EE9D-4CBF-92B5-0C4C98B5A96E.jpeg

83AE7927-2BA9-4BFE-90CB-2A21B35F3ED7.jpeg

7EDB38DF-6432-476D-B339-512D895B4DFA.jpeg

D6C14671-94EE-4D32-BA3D-582332A23BFE.jpeg

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:49 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Sneaky Snake Cobra

I have a farrier buddy that stopped by last week and drop off 5 used rasp, with a challenge that we would each make a snake to compare. The cobra seems a perfect fit. I started it last night, but am trying to figure out how long to draw it out to. Irondragon, do you think you could give me a help with that? I need to make the eye punch as well.           Thanks                      Dave

She started with a 17 1/4 inch rasp. The only thing drawn out was the tang for the tail. The one posted, she welded mild steel to the tang to make a longer tail.

Formed the head by flattening it and then rolled the body on the anvil step between face & cutting table and then final shaped it.

Long tail

100_1921.thumb.JPG.32c67a865d1854968053484306769efb.JPG

Standard tail

20171111_110947.thumb.jpg.cc7198442db9461df58ae6df69ff1699.jpg

On 12/26/2017 at 1:25 PM, JustAnotherViking said:

Today I made a set of bolts for the shed doors so I can pin them open when the forge is lit (in windy conditions, to stop them blowing closed) 

Nice looking door bolts. If I may make a suggestion...if you drill holes in the concrete, consider using some steel pipe inserts. Have pipe with an inside diameter sufficient to accommodate the bolt and drill the holes to accept the pipe outside diameter. Tap into the holes. With the inserts, you will be less likely to wallow out the bare concrete holes.

The first thing I finished off today was a towel ring

DQft1IHl.jpg

Next up was a simple bracket to hold the grinder when not in use. It ain't pretty, but it is functional. 

fvBRxH1l.jpg

Next up... You guessed it... Another bottle opener! 

2tL1wdcl.jpg

Time now for a quick lunch then back to it. 

Frost everywhere and I have the only roof in sight with no ice on it... Perfect hobby for this weather :D

21 hours ago, JustAnotherViking said:

Frost everywhere and I have the only roof in sight with no ice on it... Perfect hobby for this weather :D

I would have liked some frost on the roof for today's demo. Knocked off early - just too hot to continue.

After adding the new bolts to the doors, I decided today that I'm going to have to change the rest of the door hardware to match. 

This was the first piece to go:

TTlhAyr.jpg

So far I've just changed the bolt. I shall have to aquire some suitably sized stock and make matching replacements for the other bracket parts 

CZ5RfPdl.jpg

05EFPlw.jpg

To be continued... 

6 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

-4F  here this morning..  what I would give to be complaining about the temps being to hot.

If I stoke the shop woodstove to capacity in the evening I can keep the shop 35-40deg.F. above ambient the following morning.  Of course it was -15 this morning...BEFORE wind chill.