Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Ranchmanben said:

Thank you sir! It amazing how many people I run into that went to Clarendon College. 

I've often been surprised how many people know of it when I say I went there. There was a saying at the college that there's a pretty girl behind behind every tree...I got the punchline when I got there lol.

8 hours ago, JHCC said:

Well, I went to high school in North Clarendon, Vermont. Does that count?

Depends, how was the rodeo team?

4 hours ago, Stitch said:

Finished, happy wife!

Nice work! I’m going to borrow your design, been look for a Christmas gift idea for the boss’s wife. 

I actually think the idea came from the compleat modern blacksmith, stitch.

Bicks forged strait and the eye drifted in the JABOD forge (modified to have a 6x8 fire bowl) over my 70# traveling anvil with a 2# hammer. Pin driven home with heavy bars I’m oak blocks as anvils with my 14# cross pein 

18 hours ago, Stitch said:

Thanks Marc! I used a small scroll jig to make them.

That's good. I have used scroll jigs more times I care to remember, and it is probably the only way to keep uniformity when you have a series of them and they need to be spot on like in this case.

One thing that is the tell tale of a machine made scroll or a cold bent scroll is the start of it, that is the center of your scroll. I must say that most people wouldn't even notice or think of looking at that, but if you make one where the start of the scroll has been forged either flat or in a fish tail or round end,  and bent by hand in a very small radius to hook onto your jig, and then bent hot against the jig, you will notice from now on the difference between the two. 

First time my wife used our propane forge, worked really for her she started a bottle opener. I finally got around to making an eye punch, round nose punch and a crescent punch. Also ground, finished & handled a straight pien hammer that she forged from an old Plumb tire hammer.

100_1919.thumb.JPG.346354e9a81d820dcc4846b5d8342d05.JPG

100_1920.thumb.JPG.053a31992c1478dd5991aaf75ded5cd8.JPG

23 hours ago, Ranchmanben said:

I guess we can count that. 

Got hammer #3 heat treated and handled with hickory salvaged from a broken axe handle  

Cool, nice handle! Do you by any chance follow Matt Marti on Facebook?

Littleblacksmith