• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome Frame Gergely! Really well executed. 

Finished some Christmas presents. Salad tong from 5”x5/8” stainless bolts and nuts. This might make them bolt tongs. I attempted to pasivate them using citrus acid, we’ll see how stainless they stay. I suppose a light coat of mineral oil wouldn’t hurt, just in case .

1D5D82A7-2DF4-427B-8A13-B93F06ED546E.thumb.jpeg.7c2803130f96f1d2b886ab968c6ca127.jpeg

Worked on some non metal projects for Christmas presents. A couple of glass items - bowl and vase. And some wooden spoons from maple.

Next a glass tray and some brass Christmas ornaments.

IMG_3022.JPG

IMG_3023.JPG

IMG_3024.JPG

Nice picture frame Gergely. Cute baby too!

The salad bolt tongs are very stylish Ranchman. Are you forming a salad bowl to match?

Be fun to see the pets' reaction to the sneaky snake cobra.

53 minutes ago, John in Oly, WA said:

Worked on some non metal projects for Christmas presents.

Your slumped glass is really, really nice, along with the wooden spoons that should make someone happy to get them. I'll see if I can get a picture of our dog Daisy because she hates Big snakes, little snakes and sticks that look like snakes.:)

On 12/20/2017 at 3:53 PM, Gergely said:

Lately I've been playing around with picture frame ideas.

A beautiful frame (and baby) there, Gergely. Nice texturing, but I am struggling to see how the angle iron works. What is the finished size of the frame and where has the ángle' of the iron gone. I know I'm missing something here, but would you please enlighten me?

1 hour ago, ausfire said:

I know I'm missing something here, but would you please enlighten me?

I didn’t see it at first either but, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, it looks like it’s large angle iron cross sections. Looking at the picture you included in your quote you can see the buldge (web?) in the corner of the angle in the top right and bottom left corners of the frame. 

I definitly might have to give a couple of those frames a try myself as I have some larger angle sitting idle asking to be used. 

Thank you @ausfire!  

As @Michael Cochran said. 2 slices of 100x100x12mm angle iron cut 12mm thick. Drawn out into 190x135x17mm dimensions, and around 4mm thick. (Not exact science but the measurements are towards these figures.)

The final size is H: 185, W: 130. This frame goes with the 150x100mm photo size which is very usual around here.

My first try was with 10mm square. But I switched to angle iron stock then because it already has the right angle :) I really want to speed up the process of manufacturing of this. 

For the leg and back holder I use 100 mm long 5x10mm stock (because it's the lucky horseshoe material, so I always have plenty of it.) Both are forged in "half close die" :) to have a circle upset at the end. In the middle of the circle comes the drilled hole for the rivet. The legs then taper from the circle part towards the other end.

Hope I cleared things up, let me know if I can do more.

@John in Oly, WA Will do but I'm afraid not too soon. There are two bowl ideas circulating in my head, one is like yours and the other I've seen made by Claudio Bottero, somehow braided stock, like this: 

16790255_1239086989491622_7782303422627184640_n.jpg

But different style of course. (And I don't intend to step on it ;) ) 

We'll see, sometimes...

Bests:

Gergely

I was trying out a new bottle opener idea, but it didn't quite go to plan. Started with some square bar, turned it into a hexagon, cut it into segments, and was planning to try and twist them at offset angles... going for a stack of hex nuts look. Didn't get the twisting done due to some technical difficulties (and i'm not even convinced it's going to look the way it did in my head)

9EODkHd.jpg

This issue led to the second venture... bolting the leg vice to the new bench in the shed.... I plan to have it on a movable stand, but I need to get hold of some thick plate for the foot of the stand first... so it can be bolted to the bench for now as a temporary measure, as the lack of a vice is proving difficult.

R71iJ28.jpg

On 12/21/2017 at 1:11 PM, John in Oly, WA said:

Worked on some non metal projects for Christmas presents. A couple of glass items - bowl and vase. And some wooden spoons from maple.

Really impressive work John,

My wife and I have done a bit of slumping and fusing over the years and found it very rewarding.

Still have all our equipment but haven't done any in a few years now.

Dick

JAV, the 'stack of hex nuts' looks to me like it would have worked fine. What stopped you from going ahead with the twist?

Gergely: 100 x100 x12mm is a serious piece of angle! Cutting a slice of that would take some work. And I hadn't factored in the power hammer for the forging! Gotta get me one of those!

Hi all,

I've been hesitant to post in here because I don't have a way to take/post pics.

But, I did have a nice day in the shop...

I made one door knocker out of a horseshoe and some other bits (it is for a friend's wife, it came off of one of her horses)

I made another door knocker in a colonial american style (for another friend)

And, I made a bouquet of flowers in a steel vase (for a friend's wife)

I know, I know... without pics it didn't happen.

Happy hammering,

Dave

6 hours ago, Dick L. said:

Really impressive work John,

Thanks Dick! I digitized/computerized my pottery kiln a few months ago and realized I then had the capacity to do glass work. It's fun for me because I never quite know what the piece will look like when it comes out of the kiln. Of course, with that are the not so happy accidents too. But it all leads to increased knowledge.