I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Busy day by my standards, half made a small folding knife but the spring broke. Also learned to tig weld, seriously fun once I got the hang of it. And fired up my forge after a few patch ups in the castable refractory layer. O think it needs some tuning so would appreciate it if one of the t burner expert could shed some light. If you need better photos lmk. Oh, and tpaat really does work, a few weeks after I got my anvil, a guy rang up and said that he had an anvil, went around there today and the anvil Is in good shape, it  Says: late(something else) best scrap warranted. Guy said he'd sell it for 250, so definitely gonna grab it. Screenshot_20221006-200737_Gallery.thumb.jpg.51e62023da01330983d73d54ecb066e5.jpg

Screenshot_20221006-200722_Gallery.thumb.jpg.51f2123a964e1cc56f315b878c948fa0.jpg

Screenshot_20221006-200707_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ab0a9d9a62f99e711d668a5bd692d751.jpg

Screenshot_20221006-200847_Gallery.thumb.jpg.99be848ba66a0c492bfd340395582cb5.jpgScreenshot_20221006-200836_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6f2611498652a261a18ba00d4f4a9f5e.jpgScreenshot_20221006-200826_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5bd29267ecaca92f87c5baf93a64628e.jpg

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That reminds me of a Mother memory. She used to say, "You put the emphAsis on the wrong ,"sylAble."

Spell check and audible pronunciations on the internet are a true blessing for me. Unfortunately that doesn't help with Alaskan words, a large part of our vocabulary are phonetic spellings of Native Alaskan words and there are some significant regional differences in Native pronunciations.  I've ben listening to an audio book series about a detective in Alaska written by an Anchorage resident, Dana Stabenow but the narrator gets a lot wrong in a typical lower 48 dictionary English way. For instance Valdez in Alaska isn't pronounced like the Spanish name it actually is for the explorer Captain Valdez. Here it's pronounced, "ValdEEz." Go ahead try pronouncing "Kenai."

Happy scrounging at Billy's

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I am going to assume that it is not "ken-eye" as a lower 48 might think.  Just about every region has its peculiarities in pronunciation.  Her in WY the town of Dubois is pronounced "du boyz", not "du buwa." and the Popoaggie river is the "po po sha."  Buena Vista, CO is "bue  na vista," not "bwena vista," and aglization similar to Valdez.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Charlotte is SHAR-lot in North Carolina, but shar-LOT in Vermont.

2 minutes ago, George N. M. said:

in WY the town of Dubois is pronounced "du boyz", not "du buwa."

The great educator W.E.B. Du Bois was particular about both the spelling of his last name (*with* a space, thank you very much) and its pronunciation, of which he said, “My name is pronounced in the clear English fashion: Du, with u as in Sue; Bois, as in oi in voice."

Mi amigos from South of the border invariably call my home town Tuck-son when it is clearly Tuse-on. (Not clear at all) Makes my laugh

Belived to be derived from the Tohono word “at the foot of black mountain”. Black mountain is a sacred spot to our indigenous brethren. 

Glad you are getting rain Thomas. Late june we drove from Durango to Albuquerque and the trees looked very stressed. Lots dead oaks. Really sad looking 

Thanks for spurring me to look it up! First hit. The name Tucson comes from the O'odham name for the city, Chuk Shon, meaning "Spring at the base of the black mountain". The "black mountain" refers to the summit now known as Sentinel Peak, or "A Mountain", just to the west of Tucson's downtown area.

Another source says it's from, [Tohono O'odham] Indian's, Ts-iuk-shan, referring to the fact that the base of the mountain is darker than its summit." (Sentinel Mountain, AKA Black Mountain)

And #3 for tonight. The meaning of the name is 'spring at the foot of a black mountain'. Again from the "Tohono O'odham" language.

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

She used to say, "You put the emphAsis on the wrong ,"sylAble."

Yup, hear that from my wife on a fairly regular basis. I also pronounce "color" and "collar" wrong, though not as often anymore. And apparently "wool". I pronounce the double o rather than making the u sound (like in pull). 

Tonight I wire wheeled, heated, and applied Johnsons paste to a few of the items I made in class that I'm giving away. 

Then I heated up some square stock and started on more peening practice. I think tomorrow I'll try the leaves again. 

IMG_20221006_193044.thumb.jpg.73b2ec4b7a90f54449a6fe2815a70f25.jpg

received_646570890142963.thumb.jpeg.c709223e7d9c73683170007e1b675a08.jpeg

That's English for you. I enjoy making up pronunciations and combining words for example a Half Dachshund half Chihuahua Is not the abhorrently incorrect Chiweanie. Horse whipping is too good! They are Dahuahua. 

Next time she gives you trouble try pronouncing collar in Spanish, that'll get you the LOOK. ;) Maybe pronounce Woo Hoo wuh huh. Having fun yet?:)

Hot or cold peenishment? 

If someone tells you, "you just made that up," point out all words are made up. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Ran into a seriously strange steel today, when making the new spring for the folding knife I used an old saw blade so I tried to anneal it wit the oxygen acet torch got it a fairly bright orange and I thought that would be plenty hot enough to get it soft enough for drilling, but when I went to center puch the holes, I blunted the punch. Some sort of air hardening steel maybe? 

Natkova, if i am reading correctly, no it does not have to be a knife. I use my box jaws on what ever flat bar fits in them. 

Region depends on pronunciations as well. take for instance the town of Lancaster. To me it is Lanc-aster with a long "A" sound like as in "lanky", where as in other parts of the state it is Lan-caster, short "A" as in "land". 

I find it quite funny that i have watched shows about people from the Appalachians and they have subtitles but i can understand every word they say. Like i have always said, i speak 2 languages, English and Hillspeak.

Bayard, at those thicknesses steel can get hard without quenching as it's still cooling fast, you need to let it cool slowly to anneal it. Jigsaw blades have holes in them already, maybe that's an option for the spring? 

Sometimes when forging spring steel it contact quenches on the anvil and shatters while working. same problem really.

~Jobtiel

Aleandr, as always great work.

So today i put a breaker box in my shop. Pretty simple it seems. 1 line coming in then split to 3 circuits in the box. 1 for my out door light. 1 for one half my shop. 1 for the other half. I do not need it jst to make it easier to shut down instead of shutting off individual switches. 2 beakers instead of 10 switches. Out door light stays on with a twilight sensor for night. So everything went good except for 1 circuit. 1 light stays on. There are 3 other lights and my exhaust fan on that circuit none of them work and my circuit tester show a dead circuit but yet 1 light stays on. They are also just plug in shp lights into a standard outlet. Got me scratchin me head on this one. Anyway my friend is an electrician and coming over tomorrow... This is why i am not an electrician. Electricity I do not like dealing with. I am one of those people who kills ever breaker to change an outlet. I have however installed breaker boxes before though.

Got some tubing necked down to make pumpkins for Halloween done. I will cut them so that the necked down section becomes the stem and then a bit off the bottoms to make them flat. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e19d40ba0a0b9674fa5bce384ef972d9.jpeg

Edited by BillyBones
Deleted part of my post when i posted