Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did someone say cookies?

Ran out of bench space so the logical thing to do rather than pick up my tools and put them away is obviously build a new bench. ~3' x 6'. Still need to fit the bottom shelf, ran out of time before i have to go to work. Would have done it after work but the neighbors frown on me running a circular saw at 3 AM.

Entirely built from scrap lumber. Got my eye on a 3' x 6' piece of heavy sheet metal at work to make a top for it. Not sure what the cut off is between plate and sheet but it is 1/8" maybe 3/16" thick.

image.thumb.jpeg.7172d82a4f10899195baece529a8bbdf.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Frazer said:

This is how we get bears.

Ahh I see! I always wondered why them things were hanging around all the time, lol

That’s a very nice bench BillyBones!
 I just got one question though,

what happens when you run out of places to put new benches?!?:o

Nice Snoopy find.   Today I went by the scrapyard picked up some more tools there for the grandkids, (ratchet wrench, small carpenter's sq, multi tool in great shape), some rebar for a friend who wanted some to make tent stakes, and a 4 outlet box top with outlets!---now that I'm DONE with wiring.  Oh well I might run a set over to the Wood corner... I also found the "improvised hardy holes" posted under the Improvised anvil thread and  picked up a half dozen RR spikes to make the coat hooks that were ordered through a friend---what people will do for money!

After I got home I levered up the 600 gallon water tank and rearranged the 4"x6"'s under it and made them into a sled and put rollers under them and pushed the tank out of in front of my shop and down the side to close to where it will go.  Now to get the RR ties to build the cribbing to get the tank up a couple of feet so the hose will work to get water caught from the shop roof to the raised beds in front of the house.  Nice to have 10' walls on the shop!

Mesquite grilled hamburgers for a late lunch and loose leaf brewed ice tea. (Luckily our mesquite tree has dead branches faster than we can use them in the grill...)

"Only YOU can prevent forest fires," No Smokey the bear in Oklahoma, Billy?

You make it sound like your mesquite tree grows dead braches quickly Thomas. I know what you mean though, a few green Alder branches in the BBQ makes for nice smoke flavor and no matter how fast you cut and burn Alder there's more next time you cook.

Frosty The Lucky.

In this area Mesquite tends to be "bushy trees" and the lower branches die off over time.  Takes a lot of pruning to convince them to be treelike.  I have one on the West side of the shop that I'm trying to convince to shade the sheet metal shop in return for the extra rain water from the roof run off.  It may not be too happy when we start collecting it for my wife's water tank.

If you install a second sheet metal roof on standoffs on the current shop roof it'll reduce direct re radiation and the air flow between will reduce conduction. 

You can make up for it's rain loss if you use it for a urinal. IF its on the far side of the shop from the house that is. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Whats the dumbest animal in the jungle? the polar bear. :lol:

When you run out of space for benches you obviously have to make the shop bigger. 

I was thinking to start making the tops of my benches round, like in an arc. That way stuff just rolls off and they will not get cluttered. 

Still in COVID recovery, but I did sneak out to the shop to cut some lengths of conduit and put them to soak in vinegar to degalvanize them. These will be the connectors for the segments of the archway project currently under construction; I also cut the remaining pieces of 1" square tube for the frame itself, ready for welding.