I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

IIRC there was a class action lawsuit about the exchange places shorting their "full" bottles for "safety reasons"; but charging for a full tank. 

What I mainly notice is that; during the summer you can drain a bottle down to the very last whiffs of propane out here but when it's winter it won't turn loose of a sizable portion of gas at forge draw rates.  (I've been known to use a "low" bottle to heat up the forge and then switch to a full one when I go to use the forge.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most propane bottles are only filled to about 80% capacity, allowing for headspace for liquid to gas expansion, this from several propane suppliers in our area.  Even my 320 gal. home tank is filled to 80%-85% (I watch the fillups and read the gauge after they are finished).  The metered propane fill is printed on the ticket from the driver and agrees with the percentage of the 320 gal. shown on the tank gauge.  They put the smaller, i.e. 20# bottles on scales to watch the fillup.  The "20 lb." size designation is the maximum fillable capacity.  I only have my bottles filled at the propane supplier, not the exchange kiosks, which do "underfill" the containers.

16 hours ago, JHCC said:

Chasing and repoussé

I did know you were doing that, just couldnt quite figure out what the bowling ball was for. My only experience with it was in grade school and i think we used wet newspaper under the metal. My mom has a portrait of her and my aunt done in copper that was made when they were young in the Philippines. I did not however know what the difference was between chasing and repousse. 

16 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

BillyBones, I really like your shop!

Thank you, and to believe it only took 2 years to get into the jumbled disarray it is in. If i were to replace some of those broken window panes it might cut down on the wind and snow coming in. It is one of those old 1950's garages that are barely big enough for a car much less my truck. So i use the garage for the shop and my barn to park in. 

When I lived in a 100 year old house in an old section of Columbus Ohio I used the 1920's detached garage as a smithy; but kept all my "removable" tools in the basement.   Boy those old garages were small---and we knew the date on it as it used to have a wood/coal stove in it and they branded  dates on the interior walls with a hot poker!   No electricity when I was the owner as I refused to use the old knob and tube wiring with the insulation hanging off it.  We cut the wires and did a safe termination on them at the house.

Funny thing; I used it for smithing for 15 years, wood frame, leaves blew into the corners, old oil caked on the floor, never a problem, A couple of months after we sold the house the garage mysteriously burned down and the new owner had to build a new replacement.

When I was young, I rode bulls. We used rosin to make the rope and our glove tacky. We would grab up a few bits in our hand and then rub it up and down the rope. 

I hardened a couple of blades yesterday. One warped, but I was able to get it back to reasonably straight. Not nearly as cool as that cable Damascus, but if I can get the bevels ground and scales on, they may be serviceable. 

The only thing I finished was this WI and copper gnome. It turned out OK except for the lines of the cap. The next will be better I am sure. It is either a Christmas ornament or for my daughter’s keychain, assuming she can find her keys. She’s lost both sets. 

7967365F-5816-4FFF-8A84-049BE87B9857.jpeg

19 hours ago, George N. M. said:

SHC, it is almost always a LOT cheaper to have your own propane tanks refilled than exchanging them.

However, I just discovered that you have to have your own propane tanks recertified for pressure every 12 years.  I just took one of my 30# tanks to be refilled and was refused because it was out of certification.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I have a 20, 30, and 100# I am looking to get another 100 here they need recertification every 10 years the 20s are cheaper new than recertifying the local co-op charges by the lb filled while Costco charges by liter and has a cheaper price i usually take the small ones to Costco but the 100# doesn't fit on the carrier so it has to go to the co-op as my father can take it in his service truck

A 20# usually costs me 12 CAD 

M.J.Lampert

I've been working in the basement due to cold. I guess I'll call it my finishing station.  Saturday it was skinning deer shins, harvested the skin and sinew along with the bones and a catching up on housework after the holidays.   Spent a good chunk of Sunday working on the fuller on the oakeshott 12 project and sanding on a couple knife handles.  I set up a 3 x 18 belt sander in a vice and it actually worked extremely well for the sanding I did on the sword blade.  Slower removal and less heat.  Between that and the hand filing I managed to straighten a warp I had ground in.  I'll have to make a better handle clamp for it so it doesn't keep falling out though.   I'd hate to get road rash if it falls into my lap while running. 

IMG_20220103_211014_134.jpg

Das- that looks great! I’m trying my first cable Damascus and have had, shall we say, limited success. I’ve got a piece of 1/2-5” cable that is somewhat welded in some areas and a slag heap in others. Not having a welder is a bit of a pain since the ends exploded on me. I think I’ll pop it back in next time I fire up the forge and try to get it straightened out and welded better, then I’ll grind off the outside to see how it’s welded. I really hope I can get at least something out of it. My next attempt I’ll probably try a piece of 1”. 

8F79EE49-6381-4E0D-8269-C53C957C65C6.jpeg

B35E7E01-864A-457C-9E31-15D261E35D5C.jpeg

John, I remember talking about using a bowling ball for a pitch bowl but we didn't talk about how to cut them. Everybody I know who cut one used a carpenter's cross cut saw. Might not work so well on the new plastic balls but yours looks like old school rubber.

Sorry about that, I should've followed the thread more closely, might have saved you some time and work. 

I love the gnome D. I'm betting drawing the cap to a sharp point and scrolling it would make a cool fob/ornament hanging thingy.

Frosty The Lucky.

19 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Everybody I know who cut one used a carpenter's cross cut saw.

I started the cut with just such a saw, but it turned out to be rather dull. Using the power saw worked just fine, so don’t reproach yourself. Lashing the ball down on the doughnut made all the difference. 

The core is a piece of inner tube rolled up to about 1” thick and joined with duct tape into a ring about 9” across. This ring was then lashed about with strips of rubber to give it the thickness and shape you see. 

Can confirm the 80% rule for filling propane. All my generators at work run on propane, supplied by Ferrel. I’m required to be there when they fill them and have discussed it with the delivery drivers. I’ve seen the gauge spike to 95% in the summer.

George, I been to Laramie. In June of 2013 I believe. Went out and climbed that there sugar loaf mountain. Got sunburned later while building a snow man in my shorts and tank top. It was 70 something during the day I reckon. Then went up in Medicine Bow park and camped on Rob Roy Reservoir. Beautiful country you got up there. Wouldn’t be caught dead there in the winter though. Actually, if I were caught there in the winter, it’d probably be because I died. 
Funny thing though, I’m losing my hearing and it was already starting back then, but I REALLY couldn’t hear anything there. My first night there I stayed at the Rodeway right off the interstate. I remember standing outside and seeing the tractor trailers running up and down the interstate, but I couldn’t hear ‘em. That was more than a little eerie to me. I reckoned the air was thin enough, coupled with my bad hearing that it just had an added effect. Folks around town kept asking me why I was shouting. They didn’t like me much. Didn’t matter, I couldn’t hear em cussing me behind my back!

I was also really impressed with the roads. They know how to build ‘em there. Bear in mind I’m in Louisiana, so that probably colors my opinion a bit. On my way home from work I can choose between a dirt road and a paved road for the last two miles of the ride. I take the dirt road, it’s smoother, makes a pleasant little end to my day. 

Made a fire poker to go with my wife’s chimenea thingy. I like how it turned out. It started as some unknown thickness square stock about 18” long. Just plain mild steel from the hardware store. 2541CFEE-4AAA-467C-8F0E-A5F6CB996DF3.thumb.jpeg.70dcd920d253f343d6c6dab95425d7b3.jpeg

We're on the east side of Laramie and can see Medicine Bow Peak and Sugarloaf from the house and my shop (or at least in the winter when the neighbor's trees don't have leaves).  Rob Roy Reservoir is a very nice place.  A lot of the area burned in the Mullen Fire in 2020 but not the area right around the lake.

It takes something to get through Wyoming winters just as it takes something to get through Louisiana summers.

GNM