I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Never know Thomas, you might be smithing in 39-3/4 years from now! 

you would be kicking yourself for passing up that free truck load of heavy walled Ibeam! 

Also you'd only be a little over a hundred by then!

If I’m around in forty years I promise I’ll come visit!….. just to bug you how to do something! :lol: 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to lowes today to get a new storm door closer shock. Thought while I was there I would look for a switch plate for a light switch as they were out of the matching one last time I looked. Low and behold they moved the duct pipe into that isle. And they had 10"x5' sections of round. So I went and grabbed a shopping cart and got the 3 sections that I thought I needed. I looked and they had a joining section, but I fugured mine was ok on the barrel so I passed on that. 

At home I clipped the two together and went up on the roof, pulled the old floppy one out not even paying attention and installed the two sections in. Turns out my joining piece on top of the barrel hood is a bit rotted. Good enough to function for a bit tho. Then i clipped together the third piece of 10" and took it up on the roof. I was trying to install it when it hit me that the stack was way taller than it needed to be. 

Guess at $19. each, I'll be returning one since I only had 10' of pipe before and that is sufficient.

They were still out of the matching light switch plate. 

And new forge chimney stack is done.  

20220104_215337.thumb.jpg.3cad80f93ab75702f29ca5c926364fc4.jpg

20220104_215508.thumb.jpg.70c0015d198ebf6b4dfd3c06c3f424b3.jpg

You know that you can forge a switch plate.  Just a piece of flat stock (think car body panel steel) with a rectangular hole in the center, two screw holes, and slightly curved edges.  Borrow a switch plate from another switch as a pattern.  Just be sure to put it back when your finished.

Glenn, you know when the lady of the house wants a certain thing, nothing else will do. I don't Need a switch plate, she Wants a matching Allen Roth satin nickel switch plate. Lol. 

I Could make something similar. We even Have other switch plates and are using an existing switch plate on that switch. It is just about them matching. And being the last one she wants and that we need in the whole house, Ill just find it for $6.98 or close to whatever it costs. ;)

On a side note I fired up the forge and the new stack draws great. 

Lol. Yup. Pretty much. No beating that. 

She likes all kinds of the things I make. They can all be different and not perfect. But that is one thing she wants to all match and be the same. Already had to change out the perfectly fine two prong outlets to three prong. I was only worried about the main floor but she wanted the upstairs done too. I mean really, who needs a ground? 

They have the style in antique bronze. Lol. 

My last stack lasted 7 years. This one may last a little longer. Hey, couldn't hurt really with inflation and all. But I Am going to be more on the lookout for something in stainless steel for when the next time comes. 7 years ain't half bad for some cheap box store tin. 

Hey guys, I haven’t posted in a looong time. Figured I’d share some projects I’m pretty proud of. The first one is made from an old lawnmower blade with a walnut handle. The second one is made from some 1095 steel from Amazon, I finished these a while ago but never posted them. Yes I made the sheaths as well. 

65DEEACB-453D-4183-82B1-7A356B82FAC0.jpeg

41EC06F1-D230-43BB-830A-61C5CBA5DDEC.jpeg

09ECAA97-7996-452E-8D88-705A55AC9BF6.jpeg

I finished the forging and hardening and tempering of my first hammer today! A 1kg straight peen. Mystery steel from a hammer blank from a thrift shop, it even had the eye punched and drifted already! ;)

Now to wire brush it and grind the face and peen a bit more. Then stick a handle on it!

IMG_20220107_133953.thumb.jpg.e27b5f588083dde5d5ddbee5ec434b2f.jpg

IMG_20220107_134004.thumb.jpg.4820139f2835f1b7e5b183674e576ca3.jpg

I've been busy with a whole lot of other things, including finishing the inside smithy, only the chimney hood left now! I also got a wood lathe and I've been practicing with that a bit. The chisels the guy gave with them are made of poor steel, so soon I'm going to have to forge my own ones.

~Jobtiel

After i finally got a drop tong weld and some belly fillin made me a rivet bottom tool. made from the piece of sway bar next to it. Was going good and then i noticed the crack... probably still work but after working down that much material kind of a bummer.

IMG_20220107_174957.thumb.jpg.c70b736f7afc42c3259d3874a4e5309e.jpg