I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

The smell of rain on the hot desert, that really brings back memories Thomas. 

50 m. of trellis is a LOT of trellis Alexandr. Do you ever take a day off?

You know John you could've picked a better way to build an Iforge legend.  "The Ballad / Saga(?) Of The Pressciousness"? I suppose its one way to save money on propane. 

Ian: I think the dog is about to christen it doggy style or maybe thinks it's a fancy chew toy. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The midwest has been uh... hotter than usual, and my weekend really let's just say wasn't enjoyable. But, I got some hours in after dark tonight and roughed in some handle scales for my blade.

Also got a delivery today- some gun blueing arrived. Black will be the final color if things work well after scales are attached.

20200707_004121.jpg

20200707_004105.jpg

20200707_004049.jpg

Hot down here too; supposed to be 100 degF and up for the next 9 days with this Saturday and Sunday being 106 degF!  I went to the Scrap Yard July 3rd and even with my disreputable red hat got too much sun.  I also worked at the forge over the holiday weekend and then last night I noticed that my insulin in my insulin pump wasn't working right.  I figured that the heat had caused problems with it and did a switch out at 2 am: new set, new reservoir, new insulin and was back in range at breakfast.  Wife tells me I will be wearing a cold pack with my pump when I go to the shop for the rest of the summer. (As the pump is generally in my shirt pocket I will doubtless gain a reputation for cold heartedness...)

Folks watch out for the heat!

Same here, Thomas.  Today's high is only 89...........but it starts going up each day until we are supposed to be at 104 by Sunday or Monday.  Figure on going on right now and working at the forge for a little while before it really gets hot.  Stay safe and drink lots of water.

Went out today to finish working on my first "good" set of tongs.  Looking pretty good until I burnt the flat blade off one of the halves   while trying to lengthen the reins............so it's off to the wall of shame, once again.  I've spent more money on fuel than any three pair of tongs would cost me.  Don't want to toss in the towel until I complete at least one usuable pair that look decent enough to post a picture of.  Have a 2:00 dental appointment in Oklahoma City, so going to toss in the towel for today.  This is getting pretty frustrating.

I have a gracious plenty of cold packs as my insulin is shipped with them.  It's a known problem and they do make holders to keep them cool; but most of the holders are not "shop rated" in my opinion...

Chris I, hopefully, get 3 teeth pulled tomorrow; hope your visit is less traumatic! (OTOH a great excuse to take it easy this hot weekend.  My wife says she has lots of Oatmeal for me.)

Chris Williams u are accualy totally right on what the pommel is accept it is from a washer shaft. And u said u would have thought that I forged the shaft out into the blade, would that be good steel for a knife? 

Also frosty, I understand u don't like it I do but I'm going to ask the commissioner if he likes it when I give if to him and if he says no I can replace it without an issue. Thank u so much for your feedback though, I appreciate it.

Virusds; motor shafts tend to be medium carbon at best as for power transmission you want tough over brittle---car axles are medium carbon for instance.  For knives you generally want high carbon so they will take and hold an edge in use.  So I would not use the shaft from a washer for a blade.

As my Grand Mother used to say, "To each his own the old lady said as she kissed the cow." 

It's a matter of personal taste, I hope he likes it. As for taste I think it'd be an attractive enough pommel if it were shortened to about the same length as width. The remaining spline and round end would have nice detail, improve grip and be in proportion.

Again, that's just what some guy on the internet who doesn't make knives thinks. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

As my brother says, "To each his own, and with it my heartfelt sympathy!"

I agree about shortening the pommel as Frosty describes, both for appearance and for balance. You might also think about different ways to shape the butt end, to accentuate the spline grooving.

38 minutes ago, Virusds said:

Chris Williams u are accualy totally right on what the pommel is accept it is from a washer shaft. 

Thanks for clarifying. I was confused by your reply at first, and then I realized that I typed "washing machine" instead of "washer." The first spline picture that I posted is from a washer. Washing machines don't have anything anywhere close to the same size.

I restored my post vise today (bought for 25 dollars :D)! It was rusted in place. It has no markings but I think it looks like a PW vise to me. if you have any ideas lmk! I also tested a wheel rim and it's wrought iron!

IMG_4356.JPG

IMG_4378.JPG

This knife is the last thing I will forge for a long while. My forge is outside under a tree and my heart condition has worsened to the point that I'm not allowed to be out in the Carolina heat anymore. I really like smithing. It's been fun. My last try at tongs did what the last three tries did. They broke. Right on the hole for the bolt. Drilled it once and punched it out once and used a combination of the two. All broke after about ten minutes of use. 

The knife is made from a piece of steel that had been living in my dad's tool box for 40 years. It was a small flat piece about 2 x 3 inches and about 1/8 inch thick. I wanted to see if I could forge that thin of a piece into a working knife. I think I did that. The handle is elm and the hilt is nickel silver.  I put my mark on it upside down. Didn't mean to. Hopefully they will get my heart fixed and this fall I can go back at it. 

WIN_20200707_19_20_23_Pro.jpg

I'll put you on my prayer list if I haven't already. When you get back to the anvil your tongs are almost certainly breaking because you're forging the bolster too thin. Another trick is to punch the rivet hole with a pointed punch so it displaces steel without removing the slug. It'll leave more meat after you drift the holes and flatten the bolsters. 

Not a bad looking knife, though I'm sure you know I'm not a bladesmith guy I still use the things. Of course you got your touchmark upside down, that's traditional isn't it? :rolleyes:

I figure if I ever have one made I'm going to come up with an almost impossible to get wrong way of marking up. 

Frosty The Lucky.

HondoWalker, best of luck to you, get yourself well and you'll be back at it. 

Been working on a few things, first adding some more tongs to my arsenal. The ones I was able to finish are for 5/8th sq. The other ones I roughed out will be for 1" sq for holding the shank of my hardie tools. I don't like using vice grips for holding things. I got a nasty burn on my arm when I was first starting when a piece of steel popped out of them and landed on my forearm, now I don't trust them.

A little uneven, but they work well.

IMG_2020-07-07_20-43-50.thumb.jpeg.214a77da537cac54db61fc3f8f0426d5.jpeg IMG_2020-07-07_20-44-09.thumb.jpeg.db733512aeffbfb975e04efd205fd4d9.jpeg 

The last thing I did was cut the stock in half and I was going by eye on the lengths. Gotta get those things recalibrated.. Easy fix though.

IMG_2020-07-07_20-49-38.thumb.jpeg.650f258153053a280b24ded263b886af.jpeg

I have also been working on a stand for my dad's bonsai tree. It's... Unique? I don't know, still kind of interesting. Going to straighten everything out today after work.

IMG_2020-07-01_21-14-26.thumb.jpeg.4c351e75619a70eb6b976be9a71ec946.jpeg IMG_2020-07-06_22-07-54.thumb.jpeg.587cc266b9240cea04074b597e314e23.jpeg IMG_2020-07-06_22-07-40.thumb.jpeg.c0758b395605ca2716b0ce08659c143c.jpeg

You can see one leaf was burned off the stem while forge welding. Oops!

IMG_2020-07-07_18-18-05.thumb.jpeg.865343256be0fa2d0cdaf67eb764a5bb.jpeg IMG_2020-07-07_21-04-35.thumb.jpeg.88f3e4155007b1092e2167f2f25045a9.jpeg

And here's a preview of the knife I've been working on for a little while. Low layer damascus, I actually like the pattern a lot. Still a lot of work to do on the handle. Pins will be copper as well to match the insert.

IMG_2020-07-08_06-30-01.thumb.jpeg.ba909b04719e5b32530976f972de5490.jpeg IMG_2020-07-08_06-30-12.thumb.jpeg.fe7649b0c819eae6752beb8e5b9b9623.jpeg

6 hours ago, DHarris said:

Chris C, are you sure you have your forge set correctly?  I thought one of the benefits of a NARB is hey are not fuel hogs. 

No "fuel hog" here.  Just trying to make a point I'm a real slow worker. I watch videos where guys can forge the bit of the tongs in one heat.  I have to go back so many times I'm just wasting fuel and burning up my steel.  Can't seem to get metal to move like some of these guys can.  I watch guys like Brian Brazeal (I know, I know..........he's a pro) who mash steel as if it were clay.  I pound until I'm blue in the face and seem to only be able to mark it.   Just getting a little frustrating.  Sure wish Korney would fire up his Thursday night group once again.  There was always someone there who I could ask "What am I doing wrong?"