• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, update on the air curtain: it worked quite well, but the motor started making a nasty whining noise after about half an hour. I think that the motor was straining back pressure. I plugged it into the variac and dialed the speed down to about 1/2, and that took care of it.

Also fixed the treadle hammer spring, so that’s back on line.   

What I did in the shop last weekend: Nothing!

I did drive down to LC and helped my Mother both days; including sawing up the old 2"x12"s from an old shade construction and loading 18 2"x12"x8' in my pickup for reuse  up here.  Fixed her hose so she can water again. Helped clean out storage areas. Did a bunch of minor repairs any of the three adults living in her house should have been able to do but it takes me driving a 150 miles each way to do.

Probably the biggest impact to my shop this last weekend  was that my Mother wanted me to get power to my shop before I get too old to use it and kicked in a chunk of the cost!  !  !  !  !  !

I didn't do much in the shop today, I worked on another corkscrew and edited my first youtube video. 

The teak handle works quite well. It is only on a small texturing hammer so I'm not putting substantial force on it, but it's holding up great, not to mention the colour has really been coming out in the wood. I like it, but it was fairly splintery to shape and i had to go very slowly in one direction so I wouldn't get any splits in the grain. 

Thomas, reusing things is how i was raised also. I chuckled to myself this weekend at the grocery when i saw a jar of bacon grease for sale. A few years ago, before i was cultured, i would have wondered why, dont everybody keep a tub of bacon grease on the stove? 

I heard today that millennials throw away over 600 meals a year becuase they do not know how to re-heat left overs. Speaking of which, that brisket i made last week is calling to me... 

Nice looking cleaver Welshj. Any reason for that particular blade design? 

I finished up a farriers' rasp tomahawk that I've been working on for a few days. Not hardened yet because I don't have oil, but it has a decent edge and feels balanced. The handle is made of an ash sapling I cut a few months ago, which seems to have dried out nicely. Even without being hardened, I've done some chopping and it edge hasn't rolled or chipped (yet). For my first real blade, I think it turned out pretty well.

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 01.13.43.png

Owen- that was my coworker's choice. I had him draw out what he wanted exactly, and built it to his hand.

He wanted one that he could handle more for slicing/chopping things like onions and veggies a bit more so than actually cleaving meat or butchering... but could do it if necessary.

Gave it to him today, supposed to let me know how he likes the cut.

I like the tomahawk! I want to make one for throwing eventually.

1 hour ago, Welshj said:

Now you've got me wondering what the flanged die in the bottom pic is used for! Pretty cool to me.

Flanges are usually used to spread the load when the top tools are in use instead of relying on the pin diameter to take full thrust, as this could allow mushrooming on the end and causing it to jam in the socket.

A point to remember is that the original use for fly presses was not for blacksmithing, but for punching, blanking and forming metal items.

Blacksmiths tend to use them because they are so handy, and lend themselves to adaptation to what we want to use them for.

When setting up my new gasser, I used up one partial and one full bottle of propane from my camping trailer .  Filled those back up and put'em back on my trailer and filled my new 100# tank.   Trying to learn how to make tongs today and hit the bottom of my first 100# tank.  I'm sure that's nothing for most of you, but it was a "milestone" for me. :lol:  All I can say is I sure hope I soon become skilled enough to accomplish a heck of a lot more while using my second tank! <_<  So it's off to the propane filling station.

5 hours ago, Chris C said:

hit the bottom of my first 100# tank

Congrats. I'm still in the refilling bbq bottles stage. I did see a hundo #r a few weeks ago for free on the local online. Unfortunately it wasn't very local.

Had to postpone the shop build last year due to unforseen circumstances. It is now head of the to do list. Space has been measured and cleared for a simple dirt or brick floor lean-to design with double doors for equipment and a man door. 16'x8'

IMG-7603.jpg