• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/2/2020 at 10:15 AM, HojPoj said:

::snip:: 

Worked on this hammer eye punch, first go at slit/drifting a tool.  Unfortunately the eye's a little crooked and the punch is off the axis of the body and struck end.  Need to fix it without boogering up the eye.

Slide5.thumb.JPG.d55a7394d1d6451d6efaaf51132167b8.JPG

It isn’t off much. Is fixing it really necessary since it is a struck tool?  You could probably fix it when putting a handle in it anyway. I tried to fix a crooked hole in a much smaller punch once. Eventually I gave up before the tool became totally unusable. 

Almost no shop time today, but I did wire the repaired motor back into The Pressciousss and turn it on. Nothing caught fire, so I'll call that a success.

Also, the rearranged east wall of the shop allows much easier access to the 240v outlet I installed, so plugging and unplugging were a lot easier than before.

3 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

That is my thought as well. Dressing it will correct the offset relative to the body.

The photos didn't properly capture the magnitude of the misalignment as it's in two axes.  If I took care of it by grinding I'd be left with a center punch!

What’s wrong with a center punch? If you don’t want to go the heat-and-twist route, make it into a center punch and start over on the eye punch. Trust me: you will find that a handled center punch is very useful. 

Happy fourth of July to all u fello amaricans! Yesterday I finished this knife. It is a weird shape that's for sure but I like it. The guy who ordered it told me he just wanted a presentable, useful knife. So I hope he is pleased with this one. It is made from a lawnmower blade, quenched in oil, tempered in the oven for 2 hours at 400° farenheit. The handle is black locust, stacked leather in the middle, and Russian olive for the other half. It keeps an edge well and I polished this blade better that any of my previous ones. The pommel is kinda long but I like how long and thin the blade looks overall.  

20200704_150251.jpg

20200704_150303.jpg

20200704_150317.jpg

20200704_150338.jpg

What is the pommel? It is reminiscent of the splined part on the end of the output shaft of a washing machine gear box. If you hadn't said it was a lawnmower blade, I would have thought that you forged one of those shafts into the blade with the spline left as a design element. 

Didnt get a picture... been sick since saturday morning with some kind of food poisoning. Ugh.

But, I got out in the shop and made the mold, and laid my first cloth micarta scales for my buddy's military knife. I used an old pair of ACU camo, army issued mechanic's overalls for the cloth. Its clamped and curing now... when it cures, and my stomach settles some- I'll post a picture of the results. Hopefully, they're good!

I don't usually comment on knives, I'm not a bladesmith but I must say I do NOT like the pommel it's really over long and isn't in line with the blade. Being so long it makes the misalignment stand out obscuring positive features. 

I hope the commissioner likes it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just got back in from the shed... came out ok. A little thinner than I planned, but something learned for next time.

Knife scales made from army issue mechanic's coveralls- for a knife for an army mechanic.

Trimmed down, they're a little over a 1/4" thick. Should work well.

20200705_195605.jpg

20200705_195626.jpg

20200705_195546.jpg

20200705_200015.jpg

20200705_200026.jpg

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

I do NOT like the pommel it's really over long and isn't in line with the blade. 

I wasn't trying to complement the pommel if I came across that way. As far as I am concerned, though, design details are up to the maker and/or commissioner.  

I did find it a curious feature and still do wonder what it used to be.  

IMG_20200705_203726073.thumb.jpg.f204d852cd1af31030da0ec122d5bf35.jpgIMG_20200705_203644078.thumb.jpg.87ae11836f2404bad4860c12bd991b52.jpg

Edited by Chris Williams
Clarification.

Lets see now: Friday; I went to the scrapyard and picked up a piece of real WI 3/4" sq by about 2'. (Had striations in the rust and I did the saw and break test on it when I got homed---removed a bit of mushrooming from it being driven in as a stake many times.) Also another motor stand, perhaps for a tumbler.  Picked up a nice plant stand for my wife.  And you know how we are always telling folks to NOT use broken leafsprings as material for blades?  Well I picked up 2 3" wide 5/16" thick, 46.5" long leaf spring leaves totally unused---still have the paper stickers on them and no signs of bolting or contact wear!   

leafspring.jpg.1f6377f6f65870d586904870e4ae6a37.jpg   chiselhandle.jpg.bd4869520f7390894cded86bc3e45ef7.jpg

Got quite a bit of sun and was going to take a break during the hot hours when an old student and friend showed up to pick up the hawkeye Helve powerhammer I got in the "hoard" and he's going to try restoring---in particular as it would be a good type for armour making with a deep throat and stand alone anvil.  Easy to make dies for working sheet metal!   Anyway: 2x12''s, pipe rollers and a come-a-long and it made the climb into his pickup bed.  That was it for Friday.

Saturday I got up early, opened the shop doors at 6 am and fired up the gasser at 7 for a couple of hours.  Had another friend/student show up and help me with a few 3+ handed tasks working on finishing up the set of tongs I forged from lug wrenches.  Not happy with them but it's been decades since I did any tongs:  made to fit 3/4" sucker rod a student wanted to make tongs from.  Built in ring to hold them shut. (Ring was from some long link chain I had in the possibles pile. Rivet was from some 7/16 rivets I picked up at Quad-State one year.  Trued up the punched hole with my cole drill.)

tongs1.jpg.f0397a25f5a8bdf0aa2b02c97c188490.jpg

Now my friend hadn't brought a project to work on---he really should know better!---so I told him to start forging a stake anvil to be made from a RR spike driving sledge head, cylindrical style.  So we popped the 2" round stock in the gasser---those T burners are HOT! and I rigged up a chain with a loop so the holder would't have to support the weight.  He chose a 16# sledge and we worked on the 469# Fisher anvil.  He was having some trouble and I had him move a 6" platform over to stand on and had a lot fewer issues. (Me, I used an 8# sledge and the platform when it was my turn.)   Didn't take long for the hot and heavy to tire us out.  It will definitely be a multi stage project.

Sunday morning I did the monthly swamp cooler maintenance and then fired up the gasser to use a rivet set I dug up on the tong rivet and put the link on the tongs to hold them closed.  Tong rings/loops/etc seem to really help students who have issues with both holding tongs closed and manipulating them at the same time in their off hand.  I like the springiness of the lug wrench tongs and I will probably do enough of them to get one I am happy with. (Pretty as well as usable!) The "secondary" project was forging a tool rack from a small (8 tine) garden rake. It had a tang that was forged and used a larger center punch to put in two screw holes for mounting.

Later when I was hiding from the heat a small thunderstorm blew by and I snuck out to the smithy to hear the rain on the tin roof and smell the wet desert smell.

Pretty good weekend

7 hours ago, Ianincornwall said:

span widget

Welcome aboard... have you read the Read This First thread up in the blue banner? It's full of tips on how to get the best out of the forum and some may help in flying under the moderators radar.:) Your shop companion looks like he is thinking oh boy better than a fire plug or tree because it's portable.:lol:

Here is my second knife for the request i had. 11" blade, 2" wide. Handle is blood wood with a poplar filler at the but swell. 1 copper pin, 4 brass pins, 1 mosaic, and a stainless tube pin for a lanyard. Also made from the leaf spring off a '68 Camaro, 5160 (i think). Brass with aluminum sandwiched between for the guard. Would have had 1 more brass pin but my drill went off to the side when i was drilling my pin hole. 

20200706_135756.thumb.jpg.83468811684fa8b620de175fe8339c72.jpg