Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

The axe & hammer look good. How did you get the pictures to upload?

Thank you. In order for me to upload pictures I figured out to send them to a landline or someone you want to share them with then download them back to my phone and it resized them automatically. Then the upload goes way faster. 

Nice work, alexandr!

I started work on a project that will get its own post when it's finished. More on that later.

I also finished up a lidded quench tank, detailed here:

It's quite a day in the forge when you run out of both propane AND welding wire!

Got my new set of Bolt Jaw tongs in the mail today, so I fired up the forge and finished my Fullering Jig.  Also heated up my cross and hammer textured it.  Nice to be able to hold what you are pounding on!  :D

Realized my KOL30 ceiling was deteriorating and the ribbon burner was blowing UNDER the surface.  Ripped out the loose ceiling and will re-do it when the forge completely cools down.  Pretty bummed about it, but it was my fault and I had my doubts it would work right when I initially installed the burner.  Think I'll close off the top two rows of holes to combat the problem.  What is it they say, "If it's not one thing, it's another." <_<

9 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

JHCC that is a really cool design on the forge..   I really like it..  How far will the arm slide out? 

Thank you! The sliding part is about 26” long, so it can be extended about 14”-16”. That means it can handle a workpiece up to about four feet long including the part in the forge; longer, if you’re heating it in the middle. 

Nothing outstanding, but here’s what I’ve been up to. Finally got my buffalo forge repaired and clayed, so I tried it out. At home, I’ve been having trouble forge welding, so first up was faggot weld on the bowl end of the flux spoon. That went well, so moved on to working on a wrought iron billet and spring steel faces for a hammer. Right now, it at about 2.75lbs. Started running low on coal and didn’t want to get into trying to weld the faces on with limited fuel, so decided to try a diamond on the end of the spoon. The collar welded up very nice, but the diamond was pretty small (1/4” square wrapped onto 1/4” square) and went a bit wonky (over worked it...). Not happy with it, but it was just and exercise in learning.
Also took the time to handle the top fuller posted previously and rehandled a flatter made from a lump hammer just after I started smithing.

David

A9E63727-283C-44F9-87F6-C0C2EAA50235.jpeg

Got all afternoon in the forge and had a really good day.

Made a trivet, bottle opener and my “hook of the week” plus straightened some coil spring and rr clip for future tools and some other stuff

CF55C3DA-701F-40AF-95C4-4DD951E12491.jpeg.e4bbf1c18184899d1767a8852cd6ff5c.jpeg

The trivet isn't perfect but I am super happy that I was able to do all this in one session. I feel like I have advanced from beginner to a more intermediate smith. 

made a slitter and tested it on a nice size chunk, i reckon my hammer drift could work to open her up a lil but i think im gonna make one specifically for this slitter.

leaf spring slitter tested on medium carbon steal

the side view doesnt do the taper justice, although i wish it was a bit more abrupt

11.jpg

22.jpg

33.jpg

44.jpg

Saturday, took the trash to the transfer station hoping to find the scrapyard open.  It was closed; so I called and asked after talking a bit he said---"Oh you are the 'Look around guy!  Come in the back gate; we have to go pick up a construction dumpster but we will be back in time for you to weigh out'"  Then as I wasn't quite done. "We will be working a while longer here, you can stay longer too!"    Only 53 pounds and a 3/4" dayton motor--looks brand new. (I remembered to bring the allen keys this time so I could pull the motor out of the HVAC scrap.)   The 53 pounds included some HEAVY wire mesh with 2" sq openings----looks like a hammer rack in posse. Some stainless steel cover plates---if I get power to the shop they will come in handy.  Top piece to a pipe clamp---thinking of making one that fits in the hardy hole on the anvil. and a bunch of small stuff.

I know a guy that is *always* trying to cheat at the scrapyard.  Argues about the prices, puts stuff in his pockets, etc.  He must gain a dollar or two and the crew watch him like a hawk and make no allowances for him.  I think being let in when the scrapyard is closed on the only day I can get to it is worth a heck of a lot more than he has ever gotten.

Went home and fired up the forge and made more stakes for the bottom of the fence and started work on another flower---MOTHERS' DAY is coming up!

Sunday, I was expecting a visitor---masked and gloved---to come look over some of the hoard so I spent some time dragging it out and setting it up on display to make it easier for him to peruse it.  Turns out he was doing some remote buying too.  New to the craft so I showed him the pluses and minuses of the stuff I sold them and told them I would buy it back at the same price if they decided later they didn't want it: A hand crank blower on a stand, working, good gears.  an indian cheif 5" postvise, robustus, but with a worn screw and a 4.5" postvise, good screw but with a blacksmith repaired leg---forge welded a green stick fracture on it and then wrapped a strip of wrought iron around the place and forge welded that up---like doing a gun barrel! (except you want it welded to the center shaft...)   So less stuff to put back. Shut down and locked up and went in the house and changed out the heat lamp bulbs in the other bathroom for regular one for the summer.

I've managed to do nothing for the past two weeks. Cut some brush, fixed the HVAC in the house, and hooked th' Ol' Lady up with a jigsaw table in her craft room.

Got no coal, supplier is closed for now. 

Looks like ya'll have been busy, and making neat stuff.

Coal forges are pretty easy to convert to charcoal, especially if you have any clay around the yard.  You can even make your own charcoal from wood scraps as you go along!   I like to have a separate fire and transfer the hot coals over as needed with a shovel. I actually made a special shovel out of gravel shaker screen so I can shake out the ashes and small bits and just dump the good stuff in the forge.  Having a separate fire means you can stay out of the smoke and have less heat on you too.

1 hour ago, bluerooster said:

I've managed to do nothing for the past two weeks

Same here, just find it hard to get motivated with all the craziness that is going around. I did manage to put about six scoops full of fill dirt outside the new shop addition before it started to rain a couple of weeks ago. Now with rain about every other day the dirt is too wet to spread around.

I welded a "hammering pad" on the top blade of my fullering jig, so now it's finished and ready to put to work.  Off and on today I kept applying moisture to the KOL30 repair job on the ceiling of my forge.  Then made a wall rack to hang my 2x72 belts.  I received an order of 8 different belts today and used them to decide how far apart to make the hanging pegs and what size PVC pipe to put on the stubs to keep from damaging the belts.   I'm going to put the rack high up on my 12' wall because floor and wall space is so precious in my shop.  (I plan on doing that tomorrow.)  I'll get the belts down with a shepherd's crook.  Finished up profiling 7 blades for my little wood carving knives.  Also took the connector box apart on my 2hp, 3-PH motor to wire it up like Jose recommends.  Turns out it was already wired the way he instructed.    ef51fd136b9e359549ceef3673b0dc31.jpg   Now all I'll have to do is to connect it to the VR and the VR to the 220V outlet.

We always store our 2X72 belts in a large zip lock bag, one bag for each type & grit. The reason for that is humidity will affect the belts over time according to a certified bladesmith we know. You could still keep them high on the hanging pegs by running a wire loop through the top of the bag above the zip lock. Just a thought.

oh man that axe drift out of leaf spring was intense, used a 5 pounder till i couldnt swing anymore then i switched to a 3. but i got a tear shaoe and a taper roughed in enough that proudly say its hand forged. even its bout to get to know the grinder here pretty soon

Cheechwizard.   That is some tough go..  Ideally mild steel works just fine..    Because many of these types of things will get really hot and then cooled off.. Mild steel really is the best material..  A drift or mandrel is used to forge around or to shape or finalize a shape or size so the abuse factor can be pretty high.   

Ax and tomahawk mandrels and drifts can be some of the most challenging things to make not only because of size but because of the shape itself. 

I use a bottom mandrel with one shape and a top mandrel with another shape. 

JHCC nice tongs.  the spring fuller looks like ti was some (I"m so angry I need something to beat on)..  Argh..   Well done. 

I finally got the swage video done.