• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shoot you could even skip the rodent and I would eat that!

I still remember when my Daughter was visiting from Vet School and was looking through a Game cookbook we had and was throwing a fit---she had just finished a parasitology class that had dealt a lot with game animals and she though all game should be cooked to between cherry red and forge welding temps.

Last week I welded up some channel and bar stock as a forge door frame. Got a deal on some kiln shelving to replace the disintegrating firebricks. The lever action handle concept closes well, and opens well enough to get tongs in there. Next gasser I’ll weld channel directly to the forge shell. This forge is 8 years old and cleaning off the rust might not leave enough metal to weld to!

forged out some blanks for flower hooks, and made a new hanger for one of the hummingbird feeders.

BA795B59-538A-459B-8665-A7782F17B568.jpeg

9E1051A5-EEBD-4F68-A807-32B11AFF49C1.jpeg

44DE66C6-C3F8-42CD-83AE-842C46BC8163.jpeg

Jasent, thank you very much for sharing your video on how to properly make a basket twist. Got started trying it the right way today after work. Not only was the way I had initially done it totally wrong, but the way you demonstrated was much more efficient and made the forge welds way easier. So again, I really appreciate your help. Both ends are welded, but the top still needs some cleanup tomorrow, I ran out of time tonight. Ended up using 8 lengths of 3/16 round stock for the basket.

76655450_IMG_2020-02-11_21-32-471.thumb.jpeg.4deced27f5175a3661f11442117f65fb.jpeg

I also made a bottle opener while waiting for things to cool.

719271212_IMG_2020-02-11_22-04-421.thumb.jpeg.1f8fffcb703123b37edc724aaf4ff86d.jpeg

These were made yesterday, but a couple of keychains.

1449120795_IMG_2020-02-11_22-07-281.thumb.jpeg.e7f51d4fc9a1cd5815b1a4e7ce0aebef.jpeg 

9 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Slapped together a cigar ashtray. Two different size holders for different size cigars

Very good use of your resources. I've been looking at things with more of an eye as to what they want to be not what they are. The ashtray is a good example of this.  Always great to see your work. 

Pnut

CtG, maybe? I honestly can't recall what the piece was out of. I Think it was a clutch hub or transmission part.  I rescued a bunch of older spark plugs from a gentleman with a barn full of old car and tractor parts. He was cleaning up and they were mixed in buckets of other bits that were destined for the scrap yard. 

Thanks Rojo.

Pnut, it can happen :) you start seeing potential in scrap. Sometimes you see it right away, and others you see it when it happens to be the right piece for the idea at hand. 

On 2/10/2020 at 4:57 PM, Randy Griffin said:

You ever tried them?

I haven't. I know that I found a recipe for groundhog in my grandmothers old *grange? cook book. I thought it was kind of funny when I saw it, but ya never know. Maybe I'll give it a try one day. 

Rojo, bottle opener is a piece of coil spring, most of the things I make I'll use that. With some exceptions. There is a car dealership near me that lets me go through their scrap bin and I've accumulated a lot of springs over time. 

Jasent, well thank you for sharing, and thank you jlp for making the video. It was very helpful.

As work closed early yesterday, I snuck out to the shop and watched the snow fall through the north open gable; only made it about 6' in and everything near the gables is pretty weatherproof. After all the 2 powerhammers had been laying on a pallet outside for 25 years...Almost had worn the grease down to actual metal!  Definitely no rusting.

Hung up the tongs I'd tagged with my tool colour, (tool racks are in the center of the building and so never have gotten precipitated on.)

Took some wood in the house and fed the woodstove and sat on the couch with a cup of hot tea and a book.  I sure hope I make it to retirement! I could get used to this!  (Of course they sent out the 2 hour delay in starting this morning 6 minutes before regular start time so most everyone was already here...)

Nice work Michael and Frazer! 

Das, I love that ashtray. You have such a creative mind. 

Mark, the table is beautiful. I like black walnut. The shell of my anvil stand is made from it. 

Thomas, your snow translated to rain here. It hasn't stopped since yesterday evening. We may have to build an ark. I wonder if Noah was a blacksmith also? 

We started out with a day of heavy rain that gradually switched to snow the next morning, snowed all day and into the night and finally stopped.  Today it's supposed to hit 49 degF and then into the 50's for the rest of the week.  Mud is an unusual state out here!

I'm headed down to Las Cruces to see my Mother this weekend, Valentine's Day is her Wedding Anniversary and with Dad Gone I thought I'd visit.

5 hours ago, CtG said:

Michael, wouldn't want them big birds to break the hanger! Beefy, looks nice too!

thank you! the lovely wife made a similar comment, which I take as a hint to remake the thing in 1/4 stock like the other feeders have.. Honestly, I started with the first ungalvanized lag bolt in the pile and was striving for a particular length specified by said lovely wife and didn't pay much attention to the starting stock.

Daswulf;

You seemed a bit confused by your grandmothers "grange" cookbook.  The Grangers were a series of rural/agricultural clubs starting in the later part of the 19th century.  There are still Grange Halls around in the rural parts of the country.  In the late 19th century the Grangers were political opponents of the railroads and bankers and advocates of farmers' rights.  If your grandmother was a rural resident it is not surprising that the local Grange Hall would have put out a cookbook just the same way churches, PTAs, the Ladies of the Moose, and other organizations put our cookbooks today.  There are companies that, for a fee, compile these cookbooks for various organizations.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."