I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

JHCC,. Wrought iron nails and nail making was really cool.. Because of how soft it was 4 hammer strikes and the nail is done. (yes it takes more than that) It's pretty cool that they are making shoeing nails to go with the shoes.. 

I had pulled a bunch of old nails out of a house that was supposed to have been built about 1780.. it was abandoned and then kids partying in it set fire to it.. Only have the house burnt.. 

it was fantastic because all the nails were still left intact on the charred wood..   Carpet tacks,  shingle nails, framing nails, etc, etc. etc,  I had a huge collection all  gone now.. 

The thing that I noticed the most was that the wrought iron was actually pretty bad.. many of the nails were split in the center from where the welds had popped while forging and the nail was still passed along as good.. I pulled out about 50 nails that I could find from all the items.. 

Sadly I had planned on getting back there to finish up the job, but  someone bought the property and had bulldozed the house and all the stuff that was still in the house was buried..  it had antiques in it,  velvet couches and such..  it was built at a cross roads so was supposed to have been a tavern..  

Remington Model 8

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
Remington Model 8
RemingtonModel8.jpg
Remington Model 8 semi-automatic rifle.
Type Rifle
Place of origin United States
Service history
Used by Federal Bureau of Investigation
Production history
Designer John Browning
C.C. Loomis [1]
Manufacturer Remington Arms
Produced 1905–1911 (Remington Autoloading Rifle)

1910–1929 (FN Model 1900)
1911–1936 (Model 8) [1]

1936–1950 (Model 81) [2]
No. built 26,000 (Remington Autoloading Rifle)
4,913 (FN Model 1900)
80,600 (Model 8) [1]
55,581 (Model 81) [2]
Specifications
Mass 8 lb (3.6 kg) [3]
Length 41.1 in (104 cm)
Barrel length 22 in (56 cm)

Cartridge .25 Remington
.30 Remington
.32 Remington
.35 Remington
.300 Savage[1]
Action recoil-operated
Feed system Fixed 5 round box magazine,(5-,10-,15-round box magazine)

The Remington Model 8 is a semi-automatic rifle designed by John Browning and produced by Remington Arms,[4] introduced as the Remington Autoloading Rifle in 1905, though the name was changed to the Remington Model 8 in 1911.[5]

History[edit]

On October 16, 1900, John Browning was granted U.S. Patent 659,786 for the rifle, which he then sold to Remington.[6] Outside the U.S., this rifle was made by Fabrique Nationale of Liege, Belgium, and marketed as the FN Browning 1900.[6]

Under an agreement between Remington and FN, the Model 8 would be sold in the US while the FN 1900 would be sold elsewhere. Despite having a larger market, the FN 1900 was sold predominantly to hunters in Western Europe and Canada.[6] Because of the new and yet unproven nature of the autoloading rifle, the FN model never experienced the same level of sales as the Model 8. Cameron Woodall of The Great Model 8, a website dedicated to the rifle, postulates that this was likely due to the difficulty convincing European hunters to spend money on an expensive rifle that few people had ever seen before.[6] Due to lackluster sales, only 4,913 Model 1900s were ever produced compared to the over 80,000 Model 8s produced.[6]

So the reason why I posted the wiki stuff is look at the finish on this rifle..  

we have a tendency to look at older skills and trades as being some what archaic and shoddy, wonky, old.. 

there have been some amazing pieces done by hand both for regular use as everyday items and then for work or show..  

The level or quality of a forged product by hand can be quite extensive and amazing good. 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the finish on old firearms. Rust bluing is my favorite. My BYF41 Luger has a beautiful rust bluing finish on it. A gunsmith told me that if you rust blue parts and then soak then in used motor oil for a few days, it will give the finish a darker appearance. 

Dear Jennifer,

In colonial times it was often the case that the most valuable things in the house were the nail holding it together.  Sometimes when someone was planning to immigrate westwards they would burn the house down and salvage the nails to take along to build a new house.  Virginia passed a law prohibiting the practice.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

6 hours ago, Savage11 said:

Nails must have been worth their weight in gold back in the 17 and 18 century

There were shops dedicated to nothing but forging out nails. I think there's still a nail smithy at Monticello. 

6 hours ago, alexandr said:

The kitchen is now also a workshop

I like the "safety wine" B)

Pnut

Tremont Nail Company History

Established 1819. Nail makers for over 200 years.

The Nail Mill

The main mill building was constructed in the early 1800's and was named after the fulling mill (Parker Mills) whose foundation it now shares. The mill was rebuilt in 1848 after a fire destroyed part of the structure. Until the 1920's the main source of power was a centrifugal water wheel which powered the massive overhead shafting. The beams and trusses mostly wooden pegged are a study in strength and rigidity for which the ship-carpenters who designed and built them would have been justly proud today.

The bell in the cupola bears a date of 1851 and has called to work and to rest over six generations of loyal workers. Since 1819 Tremont Nail Company has survived the tests of time. Loyalty, determination, fortitude and ingenuity have once again succeeded in preserving this early American industry. It is truly a living museum.

Tremont Nail CompanyTremont Nail Company History

Nails in their crudest form date back to 3000 B.C. The Romans hand-forged them and they have been found in excavations and sunken ships from the period 500 A.D.

When our ancestors first stepped from the Mayflower onto that soil that was to become Plymouth County, they discovered a soil which was essentially sandy and difficult to cultivate. As they plowed for their fist crops, they noticed that the earth yielded small deposits of crude iron ore mixed with the ooze of the swampy regions. From this ore and with crude smelters, they separated the metal from the ore and began the fashioning of nails and metal tools they had left behind then when they sailed into the unknown.

Cooking utensils, shipfitters hardware, nails and wagon treads grew from this ore dug in the swamps where the cranberries grow today. As the Massachusetts Bay Colony grew, the residents of Wareham were able to supply newcomers with nails for their homes. The nail industry had been born.

The Company Store

The original factory was established by Issac and Jared Pratt in 1819 on the site of an old cotton mill which had been shelled and burned by the British in the War of 1812. Known originally as Parker Mills Nail Company, it later became known as the Tremont Nail Company. The first cut nail machines appeared during the late 1700's and the first machine to cut and head a nail in one operation was invented by Ezekiel Reed of Bridgewater, Mass.

The present nail factory has about 60 nail machines and was completed in 1848. Among those who managed the business in the early days are men whose names are famous throughout New England: John Avery Parker, William Rodman, Charles W. Morgan, Bartlett Murdock, Benjamin Fearing, William Caswell, Horace Pratt Tobey and William A. Leonard.

For almost 200 years, the company has achieved a reputation for skilled nail cutting that has made its product readily saleable throughout the markets of the world. Through all the changes and the hurried pace of modern industry the same product is still being produced for customers who prefer the superior holding power and durability of this time-tested nail.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Innovation to minimize labor and increase output has always been the main driving goal in business..  (profits).

We take for granted today the thought of someone just sitting there making nails..   did they yes, but labor then just as today is and was expensive..  Everyone was always looking for a way to save a dollar..     More production for a given labor force..    Or  IE,   Less labor force and same production.    Machinery steps in and there you have it.. 

I had read an article about machine made nails vs hand made nails and the forged hand made nails being exuded as the best one could buy and were clinchable  vs factory nails.. Tremont was the company they were speaking against..    Kind of neat..   

Clinching a nail was one of the best methods of attaching something pretty much forever..        There are 3 main ways to clinch a nail..    As the nail is driven in a metal block is heald behind the nail and as the point hits the nail it is rounded back into the material..  You literally have to destroy the wood or pull the head of the nail off to get the object retained by the nail. 

2,  you would pound the nail all the way in, bend the very tip of the nail nearly to 90D and then bend this shank close to the wood and hind the point of the nail in the wood..  From what I have seen this was not used in the USA much but seems to be European more so..  

3.   On blind areas where the nail can not be gotten to on the back side.  the forged nails tip is actually bent slightly before being driven in and while not a true clinch it does change the trajectory of the nail as it's put in and can lock the nail in better..  

FYI.. A square nail has nearly 150 percent more holding power than a round wire nail..   Also a square nail when hammered into the wood will have less of a chance of splitting the wood because the square rough shape will cut the fibers of the wood when pounded in verses the  moving the fibers out of the way with modern nails. So technically will have more square inches of contact surface vs a round wire nail. 

Tremont tried to duplicate this clinching aspect with many nails and even head styles to mimic hand forged nails..   I can tell them from a mile away when used in flooring or other items.. 

They don't work for hardware installations if one is trying to match traditional looks. 

I bought a throatless beverly shear from a chain tools store. The name of the store has the word Freight in it. It cost $159.00 plus you can use the 20% coupon. I wish I would have bought this tool sooner. It cuts circles, radius, and odd shapes with ease. I use a brand name beverly shear at work and this one is on par with it.

20200216_105728.jpg

Hopefully it lasts like the real deal- some of the tools from down by the Harbor have held up real well from my experience, some.... well... 

Glad you're happy with it! As long as it does what you need it to, who cares where it came from? I have Pittsburgh sockets on the same racks as my Snap-On and Matco. Different uses, still get the job done!

When it comes to tools, or really anything, i always go with the old adage "you get what you pay for." If i pay $1 for a wrench i do not expect much out it, and expect to buy another within short order. If it does last then i am pleasantly surprised. However if i spend $35 on a wrench i expect it to last a while, to be warranted, and the dealer to come to me. I also go with tried and true. Why all my air tools are IR. I know what the quality is. Sometimes a name is just a name also. Example, one of my co-workers just bought the new top of the line Snap-on multimeter. It is junk. 2 weeks after purchase it is already going back to be fixed. My old Fluke out preforms it any day of the week. 

One thing about buying cheap tools is i also do not mind modifying if necessary.

20-30 sec. per nail !?! took me an hour to make 5. Lot more math than i like to do there JHCC,  but i was just going on something i read. Still 1 month of making nothing but nails... 

Jennifer, interesting read on the nail monger. 

Savage, what is that rifle in the background on the wall? I was thinking a Russian 12.7 but the mag is in the wrong place. Or is it one of those oversized training replicas the military uses? 

JHCC:  I will admit that I have not done research in period materials regarding house burning for nail salvage but it seems to me that it would have had to be an actual significant problem for the Virginia Colonial General Assembly to have to pass a law against the practice.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I've spent $200 on a ratchet, and had to have it warranted multiple times, versus $120 or so for the equivalent, and 2 years in I'm still original.

The thing that sucks about the tool trucks once you are in a field truck is that meeting up with a dealer can be difficult. Dispatch doesn't enjoy diversions. 

Today got a bit of practice in, mostly upsetting, tapering, drawing out, and one bottle opener. Just charcoal today. 

Good day I'd say.

19 hours ago, Savage11 said:

I love the finish on old firearms. Rust bluing is my favorite. My BYF41 Luger has a beautiful rust bluing finish on it. A gunsmith told me that if you rust blue parts and then soak then in used motor oil for a few days, it will give the finish a darker appearance. 

The reason I posted this particular rifle is it was a dual blow back action..   Most people have a tendency to think things were really archaic even at the turn of the 1900's when in reality there were processes and industries that were indeed in the boom days of industry..  (of course you still had blackpowder arms still used in the back woods) but.. 

The horse and buggy, all of a sudden cars, pedal bicycles,  steam power, machine shops. rifles advanced extremely fast with methods of modern machining.. 

If 500 people look at a particular problem it only takes 1 to change everything..  There were so many MFG's of goods done to a high level its amazing to think that by 1925 Hay Budden was all ready closing it's doors..  Yet they produced so many anvils.. 

Anyway..  just saying..  ah. 

JLPSERVICEINC, very true and informative. It blows my mind that we went from horse and buggy to putting a man on the moon in less than a hundred years.  Industry and technology move at break neck speed. Technology is a double edged sword, without it people are helpless.