Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ouch > . <

I put coats 3-5 on the sledge handles, bought a paint tin to pre-mix the PT, BLO, and MS in, and got a deal on a plastic shelf on clearance so I can try to do some better organizing. 

Now to hang out with my sick kids with soup, blankets, and ice cream

Ever been forging and something flips out of your grip, you try to avoid it, but it hits you anyway? I have a scar on my left hand from that. I grabbed a hot horseshoe once. Burned three fingers and part of my palm. Or scale landing on the back of your neck while your hammering and it takes a second to realize something is stinging the tar out of you?

IBA chapter hammer-in today. I sharpened the handled tool I posted earlier in the week into a slitter, reshaped my long hammer eye drift/mandrel into a more rectangular cross section, and welded up a wrought iron billet. Good day and good company. Next week, IBA state hammer-in at the same location.

Sorry, no pics...

David

Not in my shop, but I went to a CBA class for bending forks. Made a double ended one with a jaw opening of 3/4 inch on one 3nd and 1 inch on the other. Pics to come after I get home. Also signed up for a forge welding workshop with Mark Aspery and Victoria Ritter teaching in 2 weeks. Really excited as it's only 1.5 hours away from home.

Worked on the components for the candelabra commission, including making a scrolling jig for the legs.

65223599-9747-44D9-831C-D8A2167724BA.jpeg

19DAC53D-5408-4E9A-99AE-61F2318DA862.jpeg

1 hour ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

Or scale landing on the back of your neck while your hammering and it takes a second to realize something is stinging the tar out of you?

I was once forging shirtless on a hot summer day, and while I was turned from the forge towards the anvil, a piece of coal popped and send a red-hot shard down the cleft where my back changes name.

This is why I now always wear a shirt while forging.

That looks good HammerHeart. Did you make the handle yourself as well? 

Oh that makes me hurt, JHCC!  I had seen a mosquito sitting on my anvil earlier and I thought it was biting me. I was busy so I didn't think anything about it until it got really intense. First time on my neck. I have little white scars on my arms from scale. It seems to love me

Two six-branched candelabra for a Russian Orthodox church in Alaska. One of the services for the week before Easter has twelve readings from the Gospels, and the priest wants twelve candles burning by the lectern in the middle of the church. 

Goods that is great..  At the hammer in is it setup so who ever shows can use a forge? Or do you have to sign up for it. 

Conrads, nIce shape..  1040 or 4140? 

Hammerheart that there is a nice start..  I prefer my handles at the crook or flare section..  I made one with the handle hole up high and it bounced a little more than I liked. (IE was a little harder to control). 

JHCC, looking good..  You still have the MIG at your place. LOL.. 

JLP, during the winter months we go to members forges. The hosts have been pretty open to members working on there projects. Last month I was actually asked to do the demo by the host. The rest of the year we meet at a forge the group setup at the historical society. There it’s an open forge with a large coal forge two anvils and two power hammers (25#LG and 50#LG). It’s basically first come first serve, unless there is a demo planned. We all tend to be very respectful and try to help out newcomers. It’s one of the reasons I got hooked so quickly. Of course, sometimes I feel a bit guilty about the amount of time I spend at the anvil, but when I’ve brought it up as a concern I’ve been told not to worry about it. Of course today there was a large forge and two anvils, the fire was going and no one was forging. So, I setup and got to work. No one else ever swung a hammer. (There was maybe 20 smiths there today.)

David

Thats great. Sounds like a really good group..  Nice having the power hammers.. LOL..  It inspires others to buy one too.. :)  Once you have used one it's hard to get crazy with a hand hammer the same ever again. 

the NEB has 2 meets a year and the Green coal Tent is the forging area for Newer folks or for people who want to get some forge time in. It is amazing how sometimes there are 12 forges an not one forging.  I usually fix that.. :)  They also have a place that is open 2X a month for people to go and forge at.. Usually  a number of experienced smiths show up to assist and teach. 

Well, that is wonderful..  Sorry if I missed what you made.. I didn't see any photo's..  :)