• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the finest rifle i have ever fired was the 1903 Springfield. In many ways it out preformed the M24 that was my primary weapon at the time. Accurate and deadly.  The Barret is one heck of a rifle to. I only got to fire 3 rounds from one though. 

Savage, spend the money get the rounds and rock that Ma Deuce, fun to fire. I have fired them mounted on both a tank and  tripod. In my opinion the best weapon to ever grace the US armed forces. In service since WW2 and still used today. Tried and true. 

Okay, I've stayed out of this so far, but I just couldn't contain myself.  This is my favorite target rifle.  C. Sharps 1885 Highwall.  20X Lyman STS Scope. This pic is the first day I got to shoot it and was zero-iong the scope in the lead-sled.

DSC_6232-half.thumb.jpg.454be710c305f786e7e57515970d229b.jpg

This is what it does off sand bags at 100 yds.  This is a 10-shot group.  The red "sighting square" is 1"x1".    After I started breech seating bullets, it dropped to sub MOA at 100yds for 10 shots.  (nope, by that time I wasn't taking pics.) Love this rifle.

508046671_Besttarget8-19-17-half-2.thumb.jpg.786e0e0aae052a3f59414549af2bdc74.jpg

I made some tongs out of RR spikes, I needed a good project that takes some hammering and thought. Iv been laying around getting out of shape lately : ) they could definitely be better but not too shabby for some spike tongs. Took me about 2 hours. But it was really fun and felt good to just make something new (to me) 

IMG_20200216_202927.jpg

IMG_20200216_203230.jpg

Very nice tongs HH, and you father should love the cross "ink well" Kycats, I like the contrast the copper bowl gives with the silvery-ness of the cross.

Still haven't been able to get enough time to light the forge, but in the 15-20 minutes free time I've had these last few days I managed to get the pipes for my chimes cut, cleaned, tuned and have the hang point center punched. I also cold worked a random piece of 1/2 in x 1/8 in bar into a circle a little under 8 inch diameter for the top support, still need to rivet it closed though.

A quick "dumb" question about drilling. I want to put 1/8inch posts inside the chimes to hang the chime from. It needs to be tight and I don't want to have to redo the whole pipe by drilling to large, so would a 1/8 inch drill bit be what I want to use or should I start smaller?

IMG_20200216_181659154.jpg

Your tongs look good from here, well done.

Your Dad's going to have something to brag about on his desk KYcats. Bet you get orders.  Don't worry, it's okay to brag about your kids, it's in the book. ;)

Shabumi: Do a test hole and check against the pins and see if they'll be tight enough. Don't spend much time drilling the hole, the less time the bit spends in the hole the less it'll wallow. If the hole turns out to be small, try drilling a test piece you've warmed up in a 300 f. oven, it will shrink as it cools. If it's too tight, GOOD warm it back up to insert the pin and it'll be interference fit tight. 

Old school tricks from the file marked: "Yes it's possible to drill a hole smaller than the bit." Easy trick 1.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nice work on the spike tongs HammerHeart.

Like the pen holder KY! 

Shabumi, we use double end 1/8" bits at work. They have a short drilling end so when they get through they don't continue to wallow the hole and are pretty acurate with final size and good cutters. 

I was invited to make a chair for a Chair-ity event. The recycled, repurposed, remade or made chairs are judged then auctioned off. I didn't have the time I would have liked to make something better but this is what I flailed around with and made. It's absolutely not where I wanted to end up but it's comfortable.having the springs for back legs makes it a nice light rocker. Well, it's certainly not light lol. 

20200216_222713.thumb.jpg.74ef17438689c75df509dd0e4afc6ee2.jpg

20200216_222633.thumb.jpg.dc7140f0c16f9b42c05e51e7d75ddd58.jpg

Looks like a chair to me. I like the chain seat, looks like it would be comfy to sit and rock in. I can't see from the pictures, do the front feet pivot to accommodate the rocking?

Frosty, I'll try out a few test holes like you suggested. I'll bet you have enough in that file to write a book "Easy, old school tricks to do the impossible". It would be a perfect book to read on the porcelaine throne

12 hours ago, BillyBones said:

Savage, spend the money get the rounds and rock that Ma Deuce, fun to fire. I have fired them mounted on both a tank and  tripod. In my opinion the best weapon to ever grace the US armed forces. In service since WW2 and still used today. Tried and true. 

My brother in law who deals in firearms and military surplus and memorabilia had one for a short time. It cost us about five dollars a round for ball and tracer ammo. I also got to fire one of the coolest things I've ever seen. It was a .22mag version of an M2 that his friend built. Only real differences was it used a belt instead of links and that little devil had a crazy rate of fire too considering it was recoil operated. 

Pnut. 

Shabumi, there are nuts welded on the front feet with bolts in them. It needed slight adjustment due to the springs. I slightly rounded the heads of those bolts. I'll be getting some stick on felt to add to the 4 contact points to protect any flooring it sets on. 

Nails: if anyone is really interested in them in 1700's America; I would commend to their attention Thomas Jefferson's Business Case he wrote up for building a Naillery at Monticello.  Cost of imputs, price for the outputs, which slaves would make how many and which type of nail, etc.

As for business always for innovating; well not always.  In "History of Western Technology", MIT Press, they cover the troubles a "red metal turner" in Nuremberg had with the guild as he kept inventing improvements to his metal lathes.  They were squashed rather soundly, finally getting to him not being allowed to leave the city to pursue his innovations elsewhere. 

I decided to try a heart from a horseshoe too; my wife said that perhaps I should not have used the anatomy book as a design source...

1607223906_heart1(2).thumb.jpg.74aacbbd0d80c3f5f8007e0fa5d758ee.jpg

I also did another bottle opener; but as it was based on a Minoan statue I can't post it here.  Then my sinuses blew up and I spent all day Sunday blowing my brains out my nose/down my throat. Didn't get to Las Cruces.