I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Progress on the candelabra. Pans dished: 

B9F67748-7D4B-4C83-9205-731A370B64D9.jpeg

Leg stock cut to length, tapered, and bent in the scroll form:

7EEABD7D-8D4F-4F0D-8D06-3FE3D7E69022.jpeg

Center stem test piece a success:

9C6C8DD4-D0B8-4598-AF24-DBE6B9AB585F.jpeg

I had made a V-swage with a 72 degree internal angle to shape the central stem into a regular pentagon. It’s working well, so long as you go slow and hammer equally on every side:

8A6EC654-B8ED-4E86-B91A-79F66E6895D4.jpeg

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not going from the house to the welder, Jennifer.  I've got 220v in my wood working shop.  Up the wall from the closest 220v outlet, over a room and down the wall in the forge room is only 40 feet .  I'm going to call my electrician and get him to come and quote installing the run.  I'll pick his brain and install it myself.  Not real honorable,  but I'm out of money and need the welder so this weldor can start making some things for the forge.  Got to get Whispering Pines Forge up, running and operational.  Need to be making blades and selling them............and anything else I can make.  Been dumping money into this enterprise for over a year now and it's time to earn a little return on investment.

1 minute ago, Chris C said:

Whispering Pines Forge

Bit of a tangent, but your forge name reminds me of a "Doonesbury" parody of a certain song from the "Sound of Music":

"Whispering pine trees and hot maple syrup,
Red-coated Mounties perched high in their stirrups,
Hard rubber hockey pucks shot from the wings:
These are a few of our favorite things!"

I know people will come on and give me crap if I offer assistance on finding information about doing it..  so will just say.  Be careful and do it right..  LOL.. 

220V how many amps is the breaker?? 

Use a cord (I use SO cord) the correct rating for the max amperage draw, which I found online for a given run length..   But I won't give you any help and tell you to do it right.. :) 

Especially since I am not an electrician and only they know how to do wiring or figure out exactly what size cord you need for a 45ft run if the welder draws 50amps.. 

By the way how many amps does it draw?  There should be a tag on it..   Again not helping.. Just curious. 

JHCC that is some sweet looking work..   way to go.. Looks like you are using just about every piece of equipment you have in the shop for various aspects of the design.. 

I meant to ask.. Your design or theirs? 

Not to worry, Jennifer.  Not doing anything my electrician doesn't say he'd do!    I'm sure he'll put in a 50 amp breaker.  The 220V line from the box to the outlet I presently have is only 8 feet, but it's 30 amp.  There won't be any two 220V machines or pieces of equipment running at the same time.  I'm not worried, Tim is a licensed electrician and knows what he's doing.  Frankly, when it comes to dem lectricks, I don't listen to anyone on-line. 

Chris it's a good thing too.. Because I was not helping in any way..  

Conrad that is a sweet looking hammer..   That face shape is what I was looking to do on the steeled wrought iron 4.5lbs I started to work on.. 

Very nice hammer.. I really like the lines..  If you place it on the handle overhanging the anvil will it rotate or does it balance on the side? (faces evenly weighted)? 

Is that anvil on the ground you modeling anvil?  I was going to say that is a little bit low for my liking.. :) 

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

You didn't bury a possum pretending to be dead did you Billy?

Nope, he wasn't playing possum. Unless of course they get stiff and dont move when ya poke em with a stick then pick up with a shovel and carry outside. The irony of it, 2nd one this year. We had one in the office at work that died and i had to dispose of it also. 

My daughter came over today with the grandkids, she says she wants a pet possum i just said :huh:. Man their tails are creepy. 

Down in Puerto Rico the lightning bugs have blue lights. That is weird. I did not know there was none in SOCAL. 

My favorite anvil is a hay Budden.. Used the same one for over 30 years.. Came out of retirement and put 6 smallish dents in it in 6months.. I then retired it in favor of denting a New Peddinghaus instead..  I miss the hay budden and will pull it out of retirement when the danger of me being inaccurate is gone. 

9 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

JHCC that is some sweet looking work..   way to go.. Looks like you are using just about every piece of equipment you have in the shop for various aspects of the design.. 

I meant to ask.. Your design or theirs? 

Basically mine, within their parameters. Those were: six candles each (five in a circle around a taller central one), about 12" tall x 14" diameter (ish). The priest also noted "something that looks classic, 'churchy' and will not fall down/apart" that would be appropriate for a 19th-century Russian village church.

First of all that double ended scroll fork; I was hoping it was one where the forks were back to back at one end; as having a tool where the "handle" might be black hot sounds painful to me!  Of course I too have a burn today; wouldn't be too bad save that students have been using my favorite tongs to wax their S hooks and so there was a coating of melted wax that transferred to the skin of my wrist.  If it had been a bit hotter and smoking I might had avoided contact...At work with one sleeve rolled up this week.

Saturday I went to the scrap yard and brought home 180# of steel/wrought iron, the heavy hitter was another Oxy welding tank that went through a fire.  It will still make a bell, several forge shells and a dishing form.  In the shop I sanded down some of the new to me tong handles and worked on a large machinist vise that has some issues and came with the hoard. It's missing the clip that pulls the moving jaw out; but I was able to clean it enough that I could pull and push it to use any rust to help polish the ways---WD40 as a carrier. (Told my wife that if she wanted to give me a Valentin's present; more WD40 would be a great one...) I mounted 4 garden rake heads on a set of rolling shelves to hang tools from and sorted the wrenches I got earlier at the scrapyard.

Sunday I finished off a bottle opener---rather Minoan in my opinion. I also painted the tong handles with my tool colour. Mounted my B1 more securely, and drug in another large damaged machinist vise---Parker 30 1/2?  weighs around 100# I believe.  The moving arm screw and screwbox are ok the mounting casting is broken---I was able to  crank the moving arm all the way out and remove the screwbox.

rake1.jpg.f0751c7b6809ace4caf5820219afbb52.jpgrake2.jpg.24368d515fcc031547e8666585bb6289.jpg  parkervise1.jpg.6d309d543d1e17abc1a394cc7b5b8983.jpg

Possums ( or is it Opossums?) don't last long around here. My dogs see to it that they don't. You ever see the teeth on those guys? Yikes. 

Conrad, that is one gorgeous hammer. Well done! 

JHCC, looks like it's coming along nicely. 

Thomas, you get a lot done on the weekends! That's great. I have some rakes like that. Never thought of using them for tool organizers. 

The word "opossum" comes from the Powhatan language and was recorded in the early 17th century as "opassom" or "aposoum". That is sometimes shortened to "possum", which also refers to a number of arboreal marsupials of similar appearance found in Australia and New Guinea (so called because of their resemblance to the Virginia opossum). The correct plural is "opossums" or "possums".

There is no connection with the Latin "possum", which means "we are able".