• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, GolFisHunt said:

That sounds like a tasty sandwich

I was just about to say. I might call em possums but farther back in the holler they just call em dinner. 

Pnut

I had burgoo with possum in it but that particular batch of stew had some similarities to a famous ark.

Shouldnt that be MacPossum? 

Back when we lived further back in the holler i ate possum once but was long ago and i really can not remember what it was like. I do remember that raccoon and ground hog (or as my ex wifes people called them whistle pigs) aint to bad though. 

When the possum was named in the 1600's it was spelled "Apossum". However they were compares to "pigges". While at work i looked up the difference. They say that "opossum" is N. American while "possum" is Australia, NZ, S. Pacific.  

While looking that up i found a famous possum on the facebook. Cant remember her name but she is cross eyed and has a bunch of followers.  

Yeah, no possum/opossum in Northern Colorado. It kind of flip-flopped depending on who you talked to if the "o" was there or not. 

Once we moved to Texas I got to see a live one pretty close. Eating fallen pomegranates from the tree in the back of where we were renting. That thing looked prehistoric- and the Mouse House had me convinced they might be cute. Faaaaar from it. 

Though the possum I've seen pictures of from down under look much more like what I had in mind. 

I am curious though-

Firefly, lightning bug, glowfly... growing up (we didn't have them) we called them lightning bugs when we would visit my uncle in Missouri.

That jig for making pentagonal sections is pretty cool- simple things I'd never thought of abound I'm finding haha

1 hour ago, BillyBones said:

While looking that up i found a famous possum on the facebook. Cant remember her name but she is cross eyed and has a bunch of followers

There used to be a hobo i l was friends with when I was growing up in Covington KY that had a pet possum named smirk.

Pnut

Possums are the one animal around here that are on my immediate hit list. I leave snakes alone and skunks are even grudgingly tolerated. Possums are carriers of a protozoan called sarcosistis horses (and mules) pick up the eggs of the Protozoa from eating grass where the possums poop. If the protozoan goes into the muscles of the horse basically no harm done but if they get into the nervous system or brain the horses are seriously damaged. I’ve had a horse and a mule which were infected? In their nervous system. Watching the damage done to these animals was enough to turn me into a possum hater!  Sorry if my words are misspelled or terms misused. 

bill D

My property is possum friendly. Ive relocated two that got into the chicken coop but they were just eating the chickens food not the chickens. I catch them eating the cat food I put out for the ferals once in a while, and see them out foraging in the yard at times at night. I don't mind the possums, raccoons or even skunks as long as they don't seem agressive or go after my chickens.

I really don't like the groundhogs. They've been a major pain in the garden and their holes when I mow the fields. 

I bet, Thomas! I don't mind critters running around here as long as they leave the livestock alone. My dogs see it differently however, so they tread here at their own risk. I worry more about snakes than anything. Had a couple of rabbits killed by them. Coyotes are always around, but I've never any problems with them. 

When I moved to my little piece of heaven here in the woods in 1999, the place was crawling with Coyote, Raccoons, etc., etc., etc.  The previous owners of the property even asked me to continue feeding the Raccoons dog food at night.  :o  (didn't take me long to realize her little pets were actually a "herd" of 50 plus Raccoons that EXPECTED to be fed at sundown every night and would be all over my roof, back porch.............on my lawn chairs and paws on the patio doors waiting.  What a mess!)  But that's a whole 'nother story.  So back to the Coyote population.  Started shooting them any time I'd see one.  They were always stalking my Llamas.  I had 23 Llamas at the time and wanted to keep them!  Didn't take but about two years to stop the problem.  Don't know if I decimated the packs or just "convinced" them to move to another neighborhood, but while we hear them all the time, we seldom see them any more. 

From what i understand possums do not get rabies either. 

Ground hog aint to bad a little fatty but then again looking at them wouldnt you expect that. 

I had a ground hog for a pet for a few months one summer. Had to turn him loose when he started trying to burrow in the yard. I got one now that likes to go into the barn, but i think that is just so he can fight with the cats. He attacks them on site. 

"Dang woodchucks! Quit chuckin my wood!" I actually thought there was a new lumber place that opened up first time i saw that commercial.