I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I haven't tried it, but I've been told muriatic acid can be used to strip chrome. If you try it, just check local authorities for disposal procedures. 

I believe most chrome is applied to nickel, but that doesn't mean all. 

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, CtG said:

Let me be plain- for some people who develop a body toxicity of zinc and other compounds resulting from inhalation of fumes developed by heating or welding on galvanized steel, the headache and dizziness MAY be alleviated by consuming cows milk.

Milk for the headache and dizziness instead of aspirin, tylenol, etc.?  Next we will need refrigerated medicine cabinets to keep the milk fresh I suppose.  (grin)

If you have them all cut up.. you can send them to me.. I would be happy to use them.. :) 

If I am welding inside I use a Miller Papr system built into the helmet that is supposed to remove all metals and weld gunk.. 

In the world there is no safe way to do anything..   Everything we do has some form of risk..  I'm not saying this to be a jerk..  but risk management is crucial for the survival.. 

But the reality is we all do things that are not best practice..  How many have sucked on the end of a siphon hose??  or Welded in their enclosed shop because it was cold out..  Exhaust leak, etc, etc, etc, etc.. 

Or started the forge and the stack was cold so the smoke poured in instead of out.. 

The list goes on and on..  Today I stopped after trimming some horses and did some Free style solo rock climbing on wet, lichen covered rocks with moss on them to boot.. 20ft up.. 

We all have a finite life span and some are more prone to exposure problems than others..    

I can not do deep diving because my incidence for DCS is above average because of all the joint damage.. yet I still go diving..   I just don't go as deep.  :) 

We all do things and complacency  plays in..   I can hold my breath for 5 minutes.. How do I know..  LOL Because sometimes when I use the belt grinder  I don't wear a respirator so hold my breath and walk outside to take another one before going in and grinding again..  

LOL.. I think thats why I like to file.. :)

So we all agree that Galvanized is bad to weld on or heat to a higher temp that creates smoke.. 

As pointed out before.. Electric arc welding has some real nasty stuff too. 

OSHA_FS-3647_Welding.pdf

Ahhh cadmium.... makes a gorgeous, deep yellow... also makes dead people. 

No, really, true cad yellow is very pretty. 

Cadmium is also hyper-toxic.

Isn't it odd that so many things that can (and do!) kill us so easily prove to be so fantastically useful in the correct context and/or combination? Chlorine gas is a horrible, vile green monster that will oxidize everything it touches aggressively. Sodium can react with the water on your skin (let alone the air!) to burn and/or explode. Sodium chloride though? We need it for proper cellular communication and development. 

Fluorine is a fun one. Vicious and violent... "the dirt is burning!!" But it can sure make for some sweet non-stick compounds!

Oxygen is poisonous in the correct concentration and pressure. Ever heard of "free radicals"? Or maybe "oxidative stress"?  

Divers know!

Fluoroelastomeric compounds! Yes! Perfect example! 

Fluorine is fascinating and frightening. 

There is. Head over to the safety sub-section. Lots of topics pertaining to these issues. 

For mobile users you need to be at the "Home" level. Scroll down, you will find "Safety". 

Ultimately, I (and I'm sure I speak for the many) would prefer folks to be safe and well educated so they can know what the risks are. If you wish to take risks, knowing the dangers, well.... that is your choice! We are all people and get to make choices. Even if it may be in my best interests to never have alcohol, tobacco, or caffeine,  I have the option to choose to allow myself exposure to these things. At least in my country of origin (USA for the last 401 years paternal) these options are given to us. 

I quit tobacco when I nearly died of Meningitis (time will tell if it sticks) 

Anyway, pertaining to shop topics, I stripped the lacquer off of my new replacement 10lb sledge for my service truck. It isn't "mine" but I will be BLO and pine-tarring the handle to prevent blisters vs. the rather sticky lacquer CAT furnishes. 

I don't often have to swing the sledge, but when I do I would rather it not destroy me. Thanks to striking for LBS to know the difference!

I don't have anything to add to the current conversation. But I wasn't expecting to get out to the shop tonight, so surprise! Wolf #2.  I think it needs maybe a little step between the bridge of the nose and forehead. I don't know. But I'll keep tweaking it till I get it to a good base form to start from. What do y'all think?

20200205_215540.jpg

I like the face portion, of both wolves! Really, I enjoy the whole thing.

My question is, do you think there would be an effective way to give a "neck" emphasis? 

Regardless, well done! 

My efforts basically ended in orange peel and denatured alcohol odors in the garage haha 

20200205_173048.jpg

12 hours ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

think it needs maybe a little step between the bridge of the nose and forehead.

Isolate the nose at the forehead and again at the back of the head over the edge of your anvil. Doing across a corner will give you clearance to shape the neck to the opener ring. Then refine the shapes to make a distinct muzzle/forehead and the back of a dog's skull is also visible though usually less prominent.  The bottom of the head from nose to the base of the neck is a smooth line unless you open the mouth, then it hinges close to the vertical eye line, a little behind is better if you don't know for sure. It varies some between breeds. 

A wolf in profile is reasonably easy to do, the longer and thinner the muzzle the easier, Doxies or Grayhounds for instance. A pug or bulldog on the other hand are tough to get right. 

I like this opener CGL, you just need to make up a good story to explain why it's streamlined for swimming. Aquaman's dog, maybe? If anybody gives you trouble about something like this, do it a couple more times and tell them you're experimenting and if they don't understand that you don't have time to explain the basics. 

I looked up those naked necked chickens, good terms thank you. What are they REALLY, domestic vultures? Maybe the Chinese Crested of the chicken species?  Creapy looking enough I'm strangely attracted to the pics, makes a person want to reassure them that the universe doesn't really hate them. How do they taste, their eggs? Eggs are single serving liquid chickens. Mmmmmm.

How's Tommie coming along on his forge?

Frosty The lucky.

Thanks Frosty. I was actually just sketching out what you just described in how to shape this thing. I've been using one of my dogs as a model. His head is similar to how a wolf looks. Streamlined I think would be the word I'm looking for. What if I were to curve the neck down some like horse heads are usually done? I know what you're saying about the "swimming" look it has. :blink: Got to remedy that. I guess he could be a dog fish. I thought about making the loop end to look like a tail. But I don't want it to look hokey either. We'll see what #3 turns out like and y'all can critique it. Thanks for your input! 

We didn't get the chickens until this morning. Those little naked necks are cute right now. They have a fluff on the top of their heads, and bald as a bird ( pun intended) around their necks. They sure stand out from the other chicks! I don't know about eggs or meat with these guys. I never even heard of them until a few months ago. Our first ones but I'm looking forward to watching them grow. When it gets a bit warmer, I'll get pictures of them. 

He hasn't been able to start on the forge yet between work and the chicken tractors. It may be a minute till he gets time, but it'll happen. Thanks for your help with that also. 

Prep work for a commission for two church candlesticks: ordered some flat bar from my supplier, prepped some stock for the cups and drip pans, and made some specialized tooling:

6593C709-27AF-471B-9319-398EC123EE8B.jpeg

(Also set myself on fire with the sparks from the grinder, but the only lasting damage was two holes in the arm of my sweater and a really nasty lingering smell.)

Finished a candle holder. First time attempting a basket twist so it could be a lot cleaner at the ends of the twist. I lost a more material to scale than I expected (note to self leave things a little thicker next time), but overall I'm still happy with how it turned out for my first go at something like this.

IMG_2020-02-06_22-14-52[1].jpeg

IMG_2020-02-06_22-13-49[1].jpeg

IMG_2020-02-06_22-13-24[1].jpeg