• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the advice Frosty. The Mrs has one of those inhalers so I have been trying it but it doesn't make a difference to be honest. Certainly worth a go though. 

They sent me for a chest xray last week to make sure there is nothing else going on. It would be a xxxx of a coincidence if there was though so I suspect it's just a time thing. 

My wife is a stained glass artist and made a gift for my nieces upcoming wedding so I took these…

7888765A-6B8B-41D8-ADE5-B5D02DA5251F.thumb.jpeg.78f54fc1afcdeae3571483441039ec7a.jpeg

and a made a stand. I like nothing about it other than it works as intended (which I am real happy with) It was harder than I thought it would be. The stained glass is super special and a true work of art

F71A9CFC-A4DE-4B08-9B6D-2F7E9259AFFD.thumb.jpeg.b864e625648161a2b6f75942478b483b.jpeg

That's beautiful Pedro, as clean a blend of media as it gets. If you'd put twists and scrolls in your part it would've competed with the glass work and diminished both.

Well done, VERY! My gob is smacked!

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a bunch of 3/8" in 20' lengths that i found in my barn when we bought the house. The problem with it is that it is all galvanized. So i spent a good portion of yesterday cutting these down into 20" sections, that was the biggest thing i could find to soak them in. Put them in  my tub with a gallon of vinegar and went on to do something else only to discover a few minutes later that my tub has a hole in the bottom. No problem lifted the side with the hole and used the good corner of the tub. 

Sometimes "in rust we trust" is not always true, this is galvanized.

image.thumb.jpeg.a67ed5ebeee67d757135a3e3f04f8668.jpeg

So i made a few more bales for chest handles, a cabinet latch to go between 2 doors and hold shut, a hinge thingy to hold the top of a chest from falling all the way back, and a small slot punch for trying a new way to mount the bales to the back plates of the chest handles. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9b6f5522ffea2cd599246a0748f4222f.jpeg

Chad, I'm going to jump in before Frosty makes a joke or comment about burning rubber tires as a forge fuel.  The thing that introduces air into a forge or furnace is a "tuyere" (pronounced "tweer" AFAIK).  A "tyre" is the British spelling of what is a "tire" for Americans.  Tuyere is one of those odd French words that came into English in the late Middle Ages. :D

BTW, your new tuyere looks almost exactly like the one I made recently for my small coal forge.  The old one lasted 20 or so years.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I was wondering why you were showing us the top of your forge, I was expecting to see a new wheel/tire under it. 

Then I was going to say he was showing a new air grate, not tuyere. I believe the tuyere is below the air grate including the ash dump and air supply on a bottom blast forge. Isn't it?

I read a long time ago that tuyere is from really old (middle?)French, meaning "To Air" maybe originally pronounced To Air and later Anglicized to tweer. I no longer have access to the material so I'm relying on my dented memory so that's a maybe.

Sounds good though doesn't it?

Frosty The Lucky.

"Tuyere" ultimately derives from the Old French "toiere", which means "pipe".

The oldest examples in Middle English are mostly variantions of "tuer". Other forms over the centuries have included "tweer", "toyer", and "twyer". "Tuyere" (sometimes with the French spelling "tuyère") has been the primary spelling in English since about the mid-19th century.

There's also the "tue-iron" variation (with and without the hyphen), also spelled "tew-iron", "towiron", "taurn", and the like.

Some use from leaf spring.

I fixed axe today welded leaf spring to eye.

Axe was like garbage now I think it can be useful tool.

And days before made chisel.

Have plenty of leaf spring for new projects.

IMG_20220501_220431.jpg

IMG_20220501_220450.jpg

Looks like autocorrect got me.   I actually had to ask another Smith how it was pronounced at a conference.   Not a common word anymore.  Thanks for the correction.  I was run down this morning.   Should have made some coffee.

I hope you weren't run down by something on tyres! :o

No sweat Chad, autocorrect gets us all now and then. Every time my comp updates I have to go through it and turn autocorrect and other annoying bloatware off. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Did a bit more on the repoussé project, but had to scrap it because the metal was too thin and kept tearing. 

Interesting detail with the pitch: while the last addition of rosin stiffened it up considerably, it turned out to be still rather amorphous, with a good bit flowing out sideways when I left the pitch bowl at an angle overnight. I peeled it all off of the bowl and the workpiece and put it in its storage pot; we’ll see how it settles over time  

CF891182-773A-4B95-A80C-19D796018C1D.jpeg

That's rather amusing, considering that the OED entry on "tyre" states:

A variant spelling of tire n.2, both being used indifferently in 15th and 16th centuries. In 17th cent. tire became the settled spelling, and has so continued in U.S.; but in Great Britain tyre has been revived for the pneumatic tires of bicycles, carriages, and motor cars, and is also sometimes used for iron or steel tires

In other words, anyone outside the UK who uses "tyre" to indicate an iron or steel tire is doing exactly the same thing as those who revived it for pneumatic tires, but to a completely opposite purpose.

John - Hope you are feeling better. Having done exactly one repousse' project I'm by no means an expert, but I did a lot of research before I started. I ended up doing stake repousse' rather than use pitch or a shot bag. Of course I was using stainless which also has less give than many other metals. Too much deformation at one time will require a lot of annealing. 

Chad - These guys never tyre of good natured ribbing. Next time just call it a great grate.