I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Welcome aboard Old Crew, glad to have you. NICE anvil! I don't know about the armorer's anvil part, I was under the impression armoring was what lead to the horn but I lost that book to someone who felt he had a better home.

Take a look through the anvil stand subsection before you put a lot of work into a wood block stand. I used to have mine morticed into wood blocks but now have them on steel tripods. It REALLY quieted them down and has other advantages.

Got a less clunky handle we can address you by? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty

I have been a welder for a long time and have a steel fab shop. That being said I am much more comfortable working with steel than wood. I believe the anvil I just got is  relatively old and assumed it would look better/more authentic on a stump. After setting it on the stump the proportions don’t look right, too large diameter to work effectively. Even though it would look good on a stump I didn’t get it to display I got it to use! So steel tripod it is.

I will be building a forge next and before finding this site had already decided to use 2 ribbon burners . I was looking at pine ridge burners. Last night I read some of the forge info and ribbon burner sections .It was info overload for a beginner !

You and others on this site have definitely done extensive research and have documented it for others benefit 

Thank you

Information overload is the brain needing time to process and categorize the information into a data base. Then go over the information a second time and it starts to make sense. When you use the information it becomes to knowledge. 

There's nothing wrong with aesthetics, nobody's going to fault you for wanting things to look how you wish and a wood block is easy to trim. Well, you need a chain saw or misery whip and a couple teenagers to power it. I've seen some beautiful wood stands that were sawn into truncated pyramidal shape one was even stained to bring out the grain.  

I wasn't and am not trying to convince anybody about mounting their anvil, I'm just passing my reasons and results along. 

Before you try "understanding" the posts regarding multiple outlet burners, including ribbons, bear in mind we're experimenting our "research' is largely look before you leap reports. I lucked out, my train of logic panned out. What I posted in the, "Naturally aspirated ribbon burner" thread is more a log of what I was thinking, the methods I used for testing and how surprised how well the things worked.

Many of the replies are other guys trying to figure the things out, only a couple guys really know anything about ribbon burners and I'm not one of them. What's been posted so far is anything but text book like info, it's more like using braille to choose a house color.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

58 lbs and about 15.5 inches long

My mother in law gave it to me after I spotted in the basement.

She was using it as a door stop. 

It rings when I hit it and a hammer bounces back from it almost as high without effort.

I know absolutely nothing about blacksmithing except what I have seen and read and have just started researching it.

I would welcome any advice or observation.

what does the 3 mean? it is the only marking that I noticed.

20190531_172421[1].jpg

20190531_172513[1].jpg

20190531_172439[1].jpg

• 1 month later...

Just picked up my first Anvil for a whopping $0.00 someone actually painted it to look like a cartoon anvil and put  Acme on the side of it... lol but the thing is for all the years it was outside in a garden the paint must of kept it from rusting... 

20190702_165454.jpg

20190702_165450.jpg

Rescued from a garden! Way to go Dan, you deserve a SWEET SCORE! 

You should buy a stuffed Wile E Coyote doll to put under it on the stand. You wouldn't want to jinx a winning meme would you?

I can't ID a maker but it's a farrier's anvil and a BEAUTY! Paint is a good thing for preserving iron and steel. Hmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi all! A swede here with a strange lump of metal. I think its english and the only words i can read is "BRANDED" 

3 2 7  on one side and 7. 3 on the other. 

Could be 327pounds for 148kg seems fair. As me and a buddy could hardly lift it into his car, might weigh more but who knows, no scales of mine goes higher then 150 kg.

Looks like it was made to make horseshoes. 

Rebound 60-70% on an uncleaned surface. It does ring nicely and to my unttained eye its been used 2 Times since the black paint Finnish is still on the face. 

Second to last image is the side facing the wall with 3 2 7 stamped on it. 

Any thoughts on what it is? 

Thanks! 

/Christopher 

IMG_20190626_200207826.jpg

IMG_20190701_203755527.jpg

IMG_20190701_202952672.jpg

IMG_20190701_201638778.jpg

IMG_20190701_202650800.jpg

If it's the hundredweight system it's 399 pounds. 3x 112 + 2x28+ 7=399lb.

I'm no expert so take it with a grain of salt but someone who knows more will be along soon.  Use it in good health.

Pnut

7 hours ago, JHCC said:

Welcome to IFI! If you haven't yet, please READ THIS FIRST!!!

Done! Great read! 

4 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

"Knowing where you hang your hat will help in the ID."

"Your anvil looks to be in good shape and should do anything asked of it, good find."

Thanks! Yes i put down whereabout my hat hanger is. 

Yeah I found it to be a "must have" when I saw it on an auction in my hoods. 

It net me about 350 us, dirt cheap. 

Anyone got a speculation on the age? I can take better pictures tomorrow too.