I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

• 3 weeks later...

Truth be told, it is in fact just a hidden piece of cut and weld modified railroad track :P
but thank you!
I've been thinking of making a bick but the only way to get the necessary size of material, would be a lucky find from the scrapyard or...forge welding a billet.

There's nothing wrong with a rail anvil, J. I packed one with me on field jobs for years. I lent it to someone in the club probably 15 years ago and haven't seen it since. I filled the space between the web and flanges by welding rail cap into the space. Then I screwed up by welding a piece of 1" plate on top so I'd have a proper face. Still, even with a mildish steel face plate and a crude horn it served just fine for a 65lb. anvil. 

The shape or type anvil makes little real difference, once you develop the skills you can do virtually anything on the face though a bic comes in handy for things like arrow sockets.

Frosty The Lucky.

I just dug this old warhorse out of the rapidly deteriorating remains of my grandfather's old shed. Knowing Papa, he found it cheap somewhere back when they were still shoeing horses at the farm - which was before I was born. Mouseholes not pictured. Next step, a stand for it!

20190907_203719.jpg

On 9/4/2019 at 6:48 PM, J.Leon_Szesny said:

My "anvil" 
hmm does this count? :(
its not as fancy as a real anvil or as big or as heavy but I made it all by myself and I love it!...aaand eventually will get rid of the ugly hammer marks from missed beginner blows, yikes.

J.Leon, check out GS Tongs on youtube.  He has a similar, small but possibly heavier, anvil setup that he uses to make some quality stuff.  You don't need a "classical" London or German style anvil to have fun forging.

What Country is it in?  Looks like a UK coachmaker's anvil---the projecting piece on the side is for making all the clips needed in coachbuilding.

There were over 200 anvil makers in the UK and so without a marking it will be hard to find out which one did that anvil.  Doesn't matter; do the ring and ball bearing tests and if they pass you have a *good* anvil. A bathroom scale will provide the weight and we can even coach you on the CWT system if you want to stamp it that way!

It’s in the UK, I picked it up a few weeks back but haven’t had chance to clean it.

The bounce and ring are superb. There’s no way a set of bathroom scales would help, I’m a fairly big guy but I can’t lift it!

i had wondered what the little projection was for so thanks!

Good idea.  But use the larger piece for your main anvil mounted vertically. You want as much mass directly underneath the blow of the hammer.  Even using a large (largest you can find) sledge hammer head on end will make a good hammering surface.  With the RR track on end, you not only have that larger surface from the face of the track, but you have some good 90 degree edges, though too sharp (but they can easily be relieved with a file........but not too much) to make your 90 degree bends.  You'll want those for example when you make tongs,.

Chris