I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

16 hours ago, FlatLiner said:

Nice score Pepr. It's hard to find an anvil in our neck of the woods for that price.:)

I was sweating bullets when I went to pick it up. I couldn't believe I was getting it for that price!

Are you with the ABANA affiliate down there? I have been curious in paying them a visit some day as there aren't any other groups around here.

Thanks Frosty, but I think I'm going to hold onto this one for a while. I can assure you that it will be in good hands. Besides, I think I heard that you live in Alaska and I don't want to triple the cost of this anvil getting it up there! 

I definitely want to make a new stand for it, but I'm torn between the wood block pattern or just welding one up. I work as a welder, so it would probably be cheaper and more in my area of expertise just to fabricate one out of the scrap bin at work. 

You make a great point on the safety issue, it didn't even cross my mind! I was just concerned about being able to draw out over that edge without getting snagletooth marks in everything. :D

5 hours ago, JHCC said:

Los soportes soldados tienen la ventaja significativa de ser notablemente más silenciosos. Echa un vistazo a algunos de los hilos del soporte de yunque para ideas.

Thank you very much for your answer

Roinfante: There should be a date stamped in the side opposite name but if you're really interested you'l need to remove the paint. 

I'm a HUGE fan of Swedish cast steel anvils, don't let the edge chipping bother you, stay off them till you've used it a while and develop good hammer control. Once you have some experience you'll know how much if at all you need to address the chipping.

You're in for a treat, that's an excellent anvil, wear and all. GREAT SCORE!

Frosty The Lucky.

After several longer than ideal road trips to look at used anvils that were mediocre for often a higher price per pound I broke down and bought a new 50kg/110# Kanca. Info on hardness and durability to follow in the kanca anvil thread.

20190405_102730.jpg

Took a little while to work the second job and squirrel away enough for this one. Had originally planned on a smaller NC anvil. So I'm glad I spent the time hunting for an older one. The extra investment means I'm in a range where I won't need to think about a bigger anvil for a long time. It is also the style of anvil I had most wanted instead of a ferrier anvil with a bunch of gizmos for shoeing that I don't really need.

How much experience?   I have an anvil I keep close to my big shop anvil to true up fork tines with.  I have not found a tapered sq horn that it wide enough where the thickness it right for this task. OTOK I make few "clips" and those I tend to do in the screwpress.   YMMV

Hi - New here.

I bought an anvil last week from a bush property in South Australia. Hundredweight system stamped, so assume English.

1.2.22 - 190 pounds.  Other side appears to be stamped WH, but partly obscured by chisel marks.

Not a bad face, but severely worn cutting step. Nice ring and hammer rebound, but I haven't got a ball-bearing yet!

Any guesses on maker?...or date? Will try to get some better pictures as I clean it up.

Cheers

Port Wakefield 190lbs - Originally from St Kilda.jpg

Port Wakefield 80Kgs - 2.jpg

Port Wakefield 80Kgs - 3.jpg

Edited by HammerDownUnder
typing Error

Cheers, mate - thanks for the welcome!

I think I have now answered my own questions after wire-brushing some more gunk & rust off the side of my anvil. It is an English ATTWOOD. It has had a hard life.

There are a lot of chisel marks obscuring the letter stamps, but below the brand there appears to be an "S" and maybe a "T" - possibly once spelling Stourbridge.

At the bottom is "WH". After looking at a few online photos of Attwood anvils, it is suggested that this might be the mark (initials) of the man who forged it? I have seen one other WH and also DC. The letter stamps are "sans-serif", which suggests a later production period - early ones (c1840s) appear to have letter stamps with serifs. I am guessing early 20th century? (...or certainly first quarter.) Length is 26 inches.

My anvil also has handling holes and a flat base.

I will continue to clean it up and then make a mount for it. I think I will need to build-up the cutting table, which is fairly well eroded down from years of hard work. I had originally thought the top face was original and pretty good, but after cleaning off some muck, it appears to have already been welded and built up. Must get a ball-bearing! Rings well and light hammers rebound quite nicely!

Cheers to all. I have already learned a great deal from this forum! Thanks.

ATTWOOD Stamp.jpg

Handling Hole 1.jpg

Handling Hole 2.jpg

Flat Base.jpg

6 hours ago, Lou L said:

I love the Attwood duo of hammer and anvil.  You were fated to have that anvil find you.  I love the anvil.  

Yes sir, Lou I think you are absolutely correct! I think fate had something to do with that acquisition! A happy coincidence & an unexpected surprise. Right place and right time for me!! Doesn't happen often.

172 hay budden carved out by hand a red wood  block for a stand  and have a 1/2” top plate bolted down  with flat bar welded to some pipe that’s welders rk rhe plate so I have tong and hammer holders on bothbsides but  now is to big and i want to change the stand but not bad first run  That I fallowed the anvil mag write up on how to repair adds damage and repaired mine and fixed some top plate damage and am waiting to have a freind who has a mini machine shop and is going to use a surface grinder to give me the most accurate flat top plate but don’t want him taking more than a 1/32 off the original top plate and said he could clean up all the weld build up on the sides cause I was nervous to do it and mess it up cause it took 6 hours to fix and so far had bony lost any rebound what so ever but didn’t want to do it again I’d i didn’t have to . Also repaired 5 other anvils this way which paid for my 110 columbian and the 240$ in electrodes

120 columbian not mounted yet am going to build steel stand 

110columbian  needs stand 

FA0C23B1-B6AD-4008-ADD4-B878D0EA39D6.jpeg

Hello!  Long time reader, first time poster.  I just picked up my first anvil in Milwaukee this weekend.  Wonder if anyone here can tell me more about it from the pictures?  So far I haven't found any markings of any sort, it seems to have good rebound but it looks like maybe it was nicked with a cutting torch in a couple spots and someone banged on the face with a chisel it looks like.  I plan on cleaning it up with a wire wheel once I get back from vacation.

IMG_7279.thumb.jpg.bd2019d9e1ca10d584495eecc2a70ef6.jpgIMG_7278.thumb.jpg.f9e50648bb6d60def6808454aaaf8b66.jpgIMG_7277.thumb.jpg.064dcb87267f53e9630761c40643f015.jpgIMG_7276.thumb.jpg.ab14ecbf9532eb98f72ce906690b11eb.jpgIMG_7280.thumb.jpg.bc1762a88e1190e5e8258a9aed9443b7.jpg