I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

I imagine you could recess it in your table and use it to help when you punch holes in things.  Just as you would a Hardie  or Pritchard hole.  The end would have to be ground smooth, though.  You might get some good ideas from this thread that Charles started. 

Chris

Hello all,

Well I have been thinking about it for awhile now, and I am finally going to ask if anyone can give me any idea of the production year for me anvil. I bought is about 20 years ago while I was still in school, at the time it cost me all I had. It is one of the best investments I ever made. It came out of a local factory that made shoe. My father worked there and let me know they where sell off equipment. I got lucky and brought this anvil home. It has been stored in several different locations throughout the years that I owned it. About 12 years ago I finally had my life setup and built my forge it has been in my shop ever since. The serial number is obliterated for whatever reason, I believe there is an 8 1 in it. It is a Trenton with Solid Wrought stamped under the logo the 392 is further down on the same side. It has an 1 1/4" hardy. 

Have a great night,

W

anvil  1.JPG

anvil  2.JPG

anvil  3.JPG

anvil  4.JPG

anvil  5.JPG

anvil  6.JPG

anvil  7.JPG

Anvil  8.JPG

Here's mine, brand new to smithing, found this up in Southern Indiana. Columbian about 100 lbs. Sweet ring and great rebound. Stump off a blow down from last winter. Paid $2.00/ lb. The face was in terrible shape, weld splatter all over it, very careful scraping,mild sanding brought it back.  

20190916_191218.jpg

Haha well, using may be a bit interesting but it is great exercise moving them around..... 

Thank you gents. I picked up the big one on Sunday, haven't had the chance of using her yet. 

If I may ask for some advice... A question of the Brooks, the 2nd image, I see that it is missing an o. Is that very out if the ordinary? 

Thanks Chris,

Not sure I would take you up on that any more, back when I weighed 375 pounds and could bench press over 500, dead lift in the 800 for sets maybe. But not any more lol. I am a third the man I once was.

Have a good one,

W

Then again I would have to see what you where putting up on your side of the bargain :P.

Well, lets see..............if you could bench over 500 and are only a "third the man" you once were, that means you could probably press 166 pounds now.  I can't press that, so I'll let you keep your anvil.  But it sure is a nice looking Trenton.  (droo-o-o-o-o-l!)

I do love my anvil!!!

Also I must say I am very glad I found this site as I was getting ready to setup my smithy. I had originally thought to repair the "Damage" to my anvil. God knows what would of come from the ideas banging around in my head at that time. After reading many posts on this site one really stuck with me, "forge on it for a year then make decisions about repairing it" I am very glad I waited to repair my anvil. I have done nothing to it but clean it up and use it for the past many years, and as it turns out that is all it needed. 

Have a great day,

W

Got me a new to me anvil. Fisher 200lbs.. Check out the base.  Look like old railroad ties and threw bolted with tounge and groove. Can't remember right now what its called when a groove is put in both sides and a separate piece the correct size is put in. 

Very lively face.  Doesn't look like the hardie hole has ever been used. 

20191004_180507.jpg

20191004_181252.jpg

20191004_184121.jpg

20191004_184128.jpg

20191004_184133.jpg

20191004_184138.jpg

20191004_184142.jpg

20191004_184146.jpg

20191004_184154.jpg