I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Oh don't worry, I will.  I put it on the cart to roll it over to weigh it.  So you think it's a fisher anvil?   How old do you think it is.  I'll take a wire brush and try to look for some markings tomorrow. You seem to be an expert frosty.  Is this of for a beginner or should I get something a little smaller.  And if I were to sell it what do you think I should ask?

Ah, I'm hardly an anvil expert, there are just some things everybody needs to get right. Unless I'm not seeing it right that's the Fisher "Eagle and Anchor" logo showing in the first Pic. 

Maybe too heavy? You sure don't hear that often, what's it weigh? She's an excellent beginner or master best known for being quiet. Your neighbors will thank you. :wub:

Frosty The Lucky.

22 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Russell, Frosty was answering Dave. Yours is not a Fisher.

Yeah, I'm confused I was confusing before and after pics of Dave's anvil. :wacko:

Who was it accused me of being an expert? I was JINXED! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 2/27/2019 at 5:36 PM, Frosty said:

Nice Fisher Dave but get off that plastic cart before trying to use it okay? She needs a solid stand under her to do her job properly.

I wasn't planning on using it on that cart.  I only put it on the cart to clean it and move it around.  Thank you for looking out for me though.

Thanks
David 

I'd already sent the post when I took another look and it's obviously not cast. Swedish steel though! Ahhh, close.

I don't know what those are really called, lugs just came to mind and they're on the corners so that's what I called them.  The look like they want to rock forwards a little when you tighten the lag screws and put a pinch on the anvil foot. Yes, no, maybe?

Frosty The Lucky.

On 3/1/2019 at 2:50 AM, Lars_ said:

Yes they do, that's why the bolt-screws have that angle. 

I think the fact that you have 2 at each foot is the best part since they will lever against each other and hold for a very long time. 

It was a fine day in the workshop.  My original ASO, in use for the past year, got an update today!  I saw a large bar of A2 tool steel on the off-cuts section at my steel supplier.  $1.20 per pound.  My old ASO was a 45 pound block of cold rolled steel.  No rebound.  My hammer bounces off the new top.  I have a larger, heavier plate for the bottom that will take the total weight up to about 100 pounds, but I need a bigger stump first.

ASO.jpg.287decd05b740fd7dbf7b328ecbdc25f.jpg

top.jpg.4318f69704ea54d902cc43d7de27efeb.jpganvil.jpg.a45ab381abf805a340b179c448ec790d.jpg

Dan: That isn't an ASO by a long shot. ASO stands for (Anvil Shaped Object) and refers to cheap cast iron objects that LOOK like anvils but won't work like one. 

The definition of anvil is something you beat against, by definition you have an anvil. It just isn't a London Pattern anvil. The world is full of excellent work done on anvils that look nothing like London Pattern anvils. 

Your anvil is a fine example. Show us some of your forgings, we LOVE pictures. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. New guy here. What’s up with this Anvil? I’m using it as is  now and don’t think I’ll mess it up by welding it. It’s an m & h armitage 0.3.12 mousehole anvil. I bought it on the cheap off a retired farmer. I’ve just buffed it with a buffing wheel a bit to identify. Any comments are appreciated unless your going to say it’s trash. Lol

Dan

9ACDE42C-6E8B-4FDB-AEC5-C8174735D19C.jpeg

13D6A6D9-711C-4B97-8D30-E75F74DA093D.jpeg

I guess I posted this in the wrong spot. Sorry

Well, what's up with it is the face plate on the tail is delaminating and much broken off. The good news is it looks like it's still a perfectly usable anvil. At least mostly half of it which is fine. Looks like the pritchel hole is still usable, and you can still use hardy tools in the hardy hole but I wouldn't do heavy hitting back there. 

0.3.12 in hundredweight would have been 96#. They were usually give or take 10# and probably a little less with the missing pieces.

No worries tho, you have a usable anvil there. Just avoid hitting on the edges where the faceplate is broken. 

Trash? TRASH?!? You do realize that you’re talking about The Undisputed King of Anvils, don’t you?

As noted, though, it’s been through a lot. The good news is that it still has its face, and so long as it isn’t delaminated, you should be fine. Tap it lightly over the face to see if you hear any changes in pitch: a solidly welded face will have a nice clear “ping”, while a delamination will have more of a “whack” or even a “thud”. Anywhere that pings should be safe for use. 

4 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Trash? TRASH?!? You do realize that you’re talking about The Undisputed King of Anvils, don’t you?

As noted, though, it’s been through a lot. The good news is that it still has its face, and so long as it isn’t delaminated, you should be fine. Tap it lightly over the face to see if you hear any changes in pitch: a solidly welded face will have a nice clear “ping”, while a delamination will have more of a “whack” or even a “thud”. Anywhere that pings should be safe for use. 

Awesome! Thanks for the info. It pings beautifully on the remaining face plate

14 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

What Das said, a perfectly usable anvil. BTW Welcome to IFI... I always suggest this thread to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

Thank you sir. I will head over and do some reading. First forum I have ever been on. Lol

24 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Well, what's up with it is the face plate on the tail is delaminating and much broken off. The good news is it looks like it's still a perfectly usable anvil. At least mostly half of it which is fine. Looks like the pritchel hole is still usable, and you can still use hardy tools in the hardy hole but I wouldn't do heavy hitting back there. 

0.3.12 in hundredweight would have been 96#. They were usually give or take 10# and probably a little less with the missing pieces.

No worries tho, you have a usable anvil there. Just avoid hitting on the edges where the faceplate is broken. 

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated!