I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which can be tricky.  I prefer to use a vertically mounted bullpin I made for my hardy hole and lightly hammer on the thicker sections till they look good.  Of course there is only 1 right way to do something blacksmithing and that is "ANY WAY THAT WORKS!"

Been messing around with some different ideas.

Littleblacksmith

No automatic alt text available.

Thank you!

Littleblacksmith

Been cool seeing all the openers... Here are a few more I've made. Going through my phone (my camera) I realize I haven't made an opener in quite a while... may need to remedy that... It's finally cooling down here so maybe worth firing up the forge this weekend.

Made from a chunk of 4140 shown to the left.

0PDle7X.jpg

Here are a couple made from some cool rebar that was in my shop when we bought the house in 2002.

bUrj0ja.jpg

wLt1Vc9.jpg

Some twisted variations...

Dc9vbRf.jpg

28zk4g9.jpg

Some I have made from files. My first is still my favorite. (the shorter one in the middle of the group photo)

cetKZnS.jpg

4X5FzKK.jpg

And some weirder ones....

0eKN4kA.jpg

QNJIzCO.jpg

PGuU6xx.jpg

I was inspired by this thread, and decided to try my hand at making an opener. I was going for the swaged hoop end but it split off while I was punching it. (my wife asked if it was getting to cool and I said we'll take one more swing.....) so I cleaned up the end and bent a hook instead. It turned out well, and I learned a few lessons from my first opener! 20180818_105704.thumb.jpg.7eb7e1ad09e0568faafbea8d9895e6f8.jpg

Finally got to give the wood handle thing a try today with some scrap I had.

gun blued metal, white oak & copper pins aren't the best visual combination but everything went together easy enough.

I made up 3 more openers to practice putting wood handles on.

thank you Forum for the inspiration!

IMG_7979.JPG

IMG_7980.JPG

IMG_7984.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Grumpy, that is one cool opener. Nice finish - mild steel or high carbon? I like the tab idea. The dimple is different from the usual style. Inspirational. What was the starting stock?

20 hours ago, ausfire said:

Grumpy, that is one cool opener. Nice finish - mild steel or high carbon? I like the tab idea. The dimple is different from the usual style. Inspirational. What was the starting stock?

Started with 3/16 x 3/4 flat stock 5.5"-6" long

17 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

The wood ones look like they should go with an old school wooden bar.  I'd have to use corian as the folks I know keep dropping them in the washtub full of ice!

I had a guy send me a set of Colt 1911 grips. Said he wanted to see if I could do something with them .

So I guess that's my next project.

They're the polymer ones instead of wood.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...