I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently was surfing the net and Rafael Griaudo from Argentina made a similar opener, but I have a client that loves owls so I made this one as a test piece. I started with 1/2" square stock. Half round chisel is shown in pic below for trimming after hot punching, then shaped over the horn of the anvil. 2/20/10 JFK

IMG_20190220_115041155~2.jpg

IMG_20190220_111353196.jpg

IMG_20190220_105640515.jpg

IMG_20190220_105306866.jpg

IMG_20190220_103957961_LL.jpg

Rafael Griaudo from Argentina made a similar opener that I had seen before I made the one I made for a sample piece.

Here are the tools (nothing fancy) I used for the Owl bottle opener,  L to R :

Chisel

Flat round punch

Flat slot punch

Large curved chisel

Eye punch

Small curved chisel

Piece of 1/2" x 1/2" square stock

IMG_20190221_095447171_LL~2.jpg

Thanks, Jeremy.  I have most of those, except the large curved chisel.

Speaking of bottle opener tools, I use a small ball peen hammer to make the lifting tab in a loop opener. After a while they get a bit flat, so I thought the ball on the end of an old socket wrench might work. Welded on a handle and gave it a go for today's ram demo piece. Gives a smaller tab, but neater. I guess it is some kind of high carbon steel so perhaps it will keep its shape longer. Not very neat welding, but does the job:

dimple maker.JPG

Nice Billy, good to try new things. Tried a few myself. I saw a picture similar to the opener on the top, so I thought I'd try it out and see how it works. The tang is a bit weak, but does the job. I started thinking and came up with the bottom one which I like better. I used 3/8" (9.5mm) round stock, but I think 1/4" would also work just fine.

ucDsM7s.jpg

Love the owl Mr. K, I love a good owl.

Nice use of an old tool Aus but I think it would've been more multi purpose if you'd rotated the ratchet 90* so you could still turn sockets. Hmmm?

Nice opener by the way.

Frosty The Lucky.

Here's a couple of openers I made with 1/4" (6.3mm) rod. The braiding is all torch work. I welded the three ends together and drew them out into a hook. The tang is bevelled on the underside to catch the lip of the cap. Something a little different anyway...

mAHkp7m.jpg

Nice, Ted! I had considered doing something similar,  but would probably just make a loop on the other end instead of a hook- the hook seems to put asymmetry into a design that seems to call for symmetry.

On 2/24/2019 at 1:05 AM, ausfire said:

Nah. The ratchet in the socket wrench was seized up and unserviceable. Frosty, you know I would not sacrifice a perfectly usable tool for such a purpose!

I know you wouldn't destroy a good tool. I just saw a missed potential, even seized up it'll turn a socket.

I can't help changing things around in my mind, here I get to air ideas to my friends. You were it is all.:)

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

Been catching up on a few bottle openers while it's been a bit quiet round the forge. People only need a sniff of a cyclone to put them off coming north.

Made a few longhorn and ram openers and then messed around with some 5/8" rebar scrap. It's tough stuff but I kind of like it because it has a great pattern/grip and there's plenty of mass for the loop. It also polishes up quite well. The two on the top are twisted, the other two are left plain.

Any ideas of how to make a rebar handle more interesting? (Without losing the texture).

openers 1.JPG

openers 2.JPG

Love how the rebar looks twisted Aus. More interesting? Offer them as an option for cast concrete counter tops? I'm thinking cast the end into the edge of the counter top but that's be a good way to bruise folks so maybe make a recess so it doesn't protrude beyond the counter top edge. Good man cave bar top openers. Hmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Here's one of mine. I got the inspiration for them while enjoying a Bass Ale, and I tell buyers that even if they drink like a fish, they won't wear one out. I usually start off with 4 or 5 inches of 1/4 x 1, and I like to drill them at the nose so they can be used as a key fob. The tip of the tail works well to pop the tabs on aluminum cans, too.

pipes and fish 025.JPG

Thanks for the comments.

Ted, I'm not sure how a concrete handle would go. Might be a bit unstable. (Not for want of reinforcing steel!) Brass rivets could be a good way of brightening up the handles. Forge a couple of depressions in the steel and add rivets for decoration. Hmmmm...

John, there's certainly no shortage of raw material for these. Off cuts from starter bars, trench mesh corners, slab cut -outs for plumbing etc. Our council rubbish tip is full of this stuff.

Das, the twist does work well provided you don't overdo it.

Frosty, you are right … great man cave items. I often wonder how many of these just get hung up in the bar and never used. Most caps now are twist tops.

And MMM, that fish is just great. Straight to the inspirations file. Thanks.