Jump to content
I Forge Iron


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About bajajoaquin

  • Rank
    Junior Member

Profile Information

  • Location
    San Diego, California

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Curious how your S7 anvil top plate worked out. Did you weld it or solder it? How were the results? I'm in the process of doing a similar project.

  2. Just a guess, but if a name is Newfoundland Law, he’s not in Vancouver. (As an unrelated aside, I was born in Toronto. Like most Canadians if that era, we made fun of Newfies. When I moved to Southern California as a child, I did t understand that they weren’t a universal source of fun. Now that I’m an adult, I dream about having enough time to go to Newfoundland and think that the people there are probably among the most enviable on earth.)
  3. Yes, I have those options, but they really don't address my goals, and really don't provide any new information. If mild steel was as good as tool steel, we'd see anvils made from mild steel. I have an anvil with a tool steel face, I don't want to go backwards. A saddle of S7 would not be a part of the mass of the anvil and would lose a large amount of efficiency. This would be a backward step. That JHM anvil is ductile iron rather than steel, and would be darn near a thousand bucks by the time I get it shipped. It's significantly smaller than my current 185-lb anvil, and I don
  4. That's a great read. It will be something else that my wife looks at on the bedside table and shakes her head. I am at work, so I can't really read it, but I don't see anything in there that indicates I can't run a reasonably efficient multi-loop coil. I need to pay attention to design, but it looks like there's no theoretical problem with it.
  5. I've been dancing around what to do with anvils, since my Hill has beat up edges. Prices of anvils in my area (Southern California) are unreasonably high, and I have a small stash of 95-lb mild steel blocks. Some searching shows that I can find an S-7 plate of the right dimensions for my steel blocks for about $100. This would be a 1" thick plate. The idea is to use the technique of using a steel bar to support the center of the plate off the steel body, then using a welder to fill the void with welding wire. I was looking at drawings, and decided that having it on the diagonal would give a be
  6. To be clear, I think what you're calling the "base" is what we would call a "stand." If you're asking if Hay Budden ever made a cast-iron "base" then people will think of the bottom half of the body where the waist blends into the feet. That's the "base" of the anvil. Did Hay Budden ever offer a cast-iron stand? I don't know, but that's a different question.
  7. Any opinion on multiple loops per fixture? What are the downsides of having a 3/4”, 1.5” and a 2.5” (or similar) on a single coil? That way you could have multiple size ranges without having to change coils.
  8. Looks to me like that Champion is set up to run off a line shaft.
  9. Corian is a nice material. It would make a nice opener handle.
  10. 5x5x20 calculates out to 142 lb. Thats a nice sized anvil. Whats it from? Who knows?
  11. Charcoal, surpisingly, is carbon neutral. Tree grows in our lifetime, absorbs carbon. Charcoal made and burned, carbon released. Okay, you have carbon input to make charcoal and transport it, but the fuel itself is neutral. The problem with fossil fuels is that it is carbon sequestered over millions of years being released in decades. So if you live in the Pacific Northwest, they have like 90% hydro and induction is probably cleanest. In coal county, charcoal, and hard to say what would be best in natural gas states (it’s pretty clean given its transport costs but it’s still a foss
  12. I’ll read that, thanks. I’m curious to see as my heaviest use was for an hour a day maybe an hour and a half. It was idling for well over half that time. So if it’s just the appearance of a draw, I don’t think that would account for $350 at that amount.
  13. I think what he's saying is that the profile of the draw gets surcharges. My interpretation is that if you have very high peak draws, you get charged more. I haven't read my bill that closely yet, but it makes sense. I used my forge a lot in July when it was very hot, and grid load was also likely very high. That seems to me to be the conditions under which you'd see a surcharge. I remember having this discussion with Grant Sarver (RIP) about electrical use. He believed that the net cost of use was lower than coal or propane, and it was based on the same calculation as you are indicating:
  14. Hmmm. That might explain my $350 electric bill. I thought it was the AC
  • Create New...