I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice work, Grumpy.

Looking at those openers, my very first thought was that they looked like neck ties.  It was only all this talk about weapons that made me see them as possible blades, and even then my first reaction was "Cool, those would be great Kiradashi for woodworkers!"

Either way you cut it, that's some nice work and you could market them to cabinet makers or businessmen.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely headed in the right direction. I have three suggestions: pay attention to keeping the width of the ring consistent, make the taper between the skull and the business end a bit more symmetrical, and get a butcher block/farrier’s brush to scrub off the scale as you work. Attention to detail will definitely pay off. 

Ben,

Simple round drifts are pretty easy to make.  Just do a standard short square/octagon/round taper on each side of the stock, a little hot rasping or grinding on the struck end, and you are good to go.  Medium carbon steel will last longer, but for a 1" drift mild should also be fine.  Make sure you work it with the forging heat soaked all the way into the interior of the stock for efficiency and avoidance of fishmouth.

I use a drift tapered both ends with a 20mm diameter. When it drives though, you know the size is correct. Saves guessing.

If you want to straighten bottle opener #1, a cone mandrel in the hardy hole works well, or at a pinch, around the horn of the anvil. Once you get a set procedure for these things, you will be turning them out consistently. The more you practise the quicker you will be.

Spent some time this weekend making openers... I feel like I'm finally getting better at even(ish) loops and cap hooks. Each opener I make gets tested by holding a full bottle by the cap.

L to R-

Random pattern from 3/16 x 3/4 scrap.

5/8 wrench with a twist.

Old thick file.

Random beach salvaged bolt from old piers, possibly wrought iron (according to the person who gifted the material).

IMG_7992-2.jpg

IMG_7993-2.jpg

IMG_7994-2.jpg

20181111_184229.jpg

20181117_203113.jpg

20181117_231801.jpg

20181117_203221.jpg

Great ideas. I really like the twisted spanner. So was the business end a ring, or was the loop formed from the shaft of the spanner? It doesn't look thick enough to provide the mass, so I'm thinking it must have been a ring/open end spanner.

And that's how I test mine, too. No need to open them  … unless you're thirsty.

On 11/19/2018 at 6:02 AM, ausfire said:

Great ideas. I really like the twisted spanner. So was the business end a ring, or was the loop formed from the shaft of the spanner? It doesn't look thick enough to provide the mass, so I'm thinking it must have been a ring/open end spanner.

And that's how I test mine, too. No need to open them  … unless you're thirsty.

The other end was the box end. I was worried the teeth would make it crack when drawing out the ring.

On 11/19/2018 at 9:07 AM, tkunkel said:

Nice variety of openers.  I like the curved handles and the chisel work.

Thank you! I'm hoping my wife can sell them at her craft table coming up for the holidays. I've given her pendants and leaved to sell with little luck. I think I need something practical to sell, hopefully to the bored husbands dragged out to craft bazaars.