• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Billy, you weren't kidding about that squirrel cage when you talked to me. That thing is huge! Gonna blow your guys away - bet they won't be complaining about air circulation when you get that set up, lol

I'd love to share some of the stuff that's followed me home lately. Seems I never think of it when it's convenient!

My mother-in-law is constantly telling me not to buy anything - not even used - without checking with her first because she probably has it in the shed. Well, I always forget and go an buy something. Or I assume there's no way she'd have that and buy it. The latest was a propane tank with caddy at an estate sale. Got it for $30 (in a lot along with a floor lamp I need to try to resell and a Cabella's cooler that if I can't get cleaned up is going to the dump, lol). Anyway, then I go visit Dawn and she sends me to the shed to look for something - at which point I discover no less than SIX 20-gal propane tanks. She also had a few of the big ones but I could also see the machinery they were used for. I was like, Dawn! Why the heck do you have so many propane tanks?! And she said, "xxxx I don't know. Rick probably used them for something. You can have em if you want em."  So, I guess now I know I have a source should the need arise - even though I now already have two and I don't even have a gas forge yet, lol

She also sent me home with a big cast iron cauldron which I intend to use as the base for a patio umbrella I got from Marketplace. It's missing its base pole & base mounting plates so I was trying to come up with some way I could still use it.

Non-shop related, she also gave me an old handmade recurve bow that was Rick's from when he hunted as a kid. 

She keeps saying, "The more you take home now, the less you have to deal with when I'm gone." Kinda morbid but true. Not that she's in any circumstance currently that would have her leaving us any time soon, thankfully. It's just a mindset you get into after having to go through all the belongings left behind when someone dies - and we've had our fair share of that in recent years so we're all kinda living in that mentality of "someone will have to go through all this".

Shaina, you may or may not know that propane tanks have to be pressure tested and recertified every 12 years or you should not be able to get them refilled (not everyone checks the date but eventually you will run into someone who does).  Most propane places are set up to hydro test and recertify tanks for a fee.  I have a 30# and a 20# that I snagged at the dump that need this done.  IIRC the 30# has a date from the 80s on it.

GNM

Shaina, cheaper in the long run to pay to have it recertified and refill it at a realio-trulio propane dealer.  Exchange places charge considerably more per gallon/pound and are famous for short fills, that is, not filling the tanks to their maximum capacity but charging you as if they were.  Even if the propane place is further away it still works out in your favor.  Check prices and hassle and make the best choice for yourself.

Here, I usually get my propane at Murdoch's which is a farm and ranch supply place like Tractor Supply or Big R.  The local Ace hardware also has a propane filling station plus larger propane dealers like Suburban Propane.

GNM

Ones man junk... This sucker was heavy. 6" pipe is darn expensive so I've kept an eye open. The plan was to use it as a quench tank. 20230321_103019.thumb.jpg.5cfbc7149ab3a6667d7fd9f3fd68a5d4.jpg

I cut a 4' section out with my newly aquired Oxy/Acetylene torch. I had zero experience with it and I have to say that much fun shouldn't be legal. I welded a cap inside the tube and then welded the tube to a plate to try and get it as water tight as possible but it still had a couple slow leaks. 

20230322_084018.thumb.jpg.d06459b08c94f1aa61d0fd31e76e65b9.jpg

Places like Walmart and the various convenience stores do the exchange of 20 pound propane bottles around here.  I believe those places only put 15 pounds of propane in them so your paying 25% more but you are getting a bottle that is within its certification dates and can be filled anywhere. There is one place around here that will recertify but they never seem interested in doing it and always try to sell you a new bottle instead.   Also, out of date bottles can be cut up or used for other stuff - I keep one just outside the shop door to collect rain water and to use as a quench tub.  I also use them in my sculptures after cutting and welding to the shape I want.  I do have plans to weld some castors on one and add a door and a seat for a roll around shop stool with storage inside.   Be careful when cutting into them to be sure ALL the propane is gone before you cut or drill!   The steel used to make the bottles does have some carbon in it.  I have not tried to make a cutting tool from any of it but it may be heat treatable to hold an edge.  People also make some kind of percussion instrument out of them but I forget what they are called.

Nice snag on the 6" pipe!

M.J.Lampert It's a 1500 2wd short bed with a v6 and a Gen Z Anti Theft Device, I mean Standard Transmission, which surprised the heck out of me.  A very pleasant surprise.  Stereo's out.  Heater is iffy, and it needs a throttle position sensor, a whopping 18 dollar part.  I also want to put a deer strainer on the front and get a camper shell for the back.  along with an actual towing receiver on the back.  Right now it just has a ball on the bumper, and I never did trust those.

Will.  Around me an average exchange might be 30 dollars.  I get refilled at Tractor Supply and my last top off was 10 bucks.  Prior to that, 15.  Another time, I think their gauge was malfunctioning, as it read only 7/10's of a gallon and would not take any more.  The guy just told me it was my lucky day, no charge.

The thing to do is get your tanks refilled until they're about to go out of certification, and then take them in for exchange!

(Actually, I'm thinking of seeing if my local Airgas will let me exchange two 20-pound tanks for a 40-pounder. That would take up a good bit less floor space.)

The nice thing about refilling is that you are paying for the actual amount of gas you're buying, not a flat rate that may or may not match the volume you think you're purchasing. Additionally, you can take a half-full tank in for a top-up and not lose its value in an exchange.

I just recently found a place nearby that fills tanks.  the downside for me is they operate on farmers hours and are only open till noon on Saturdays, so If I run out in the evening, I'm out of luck.

I'm thinking about getting a backup tank, but it hasn't really inconvenienced me too much so far.  Last time the tank ran out I was tired and it happened at a good stopping point.

I have been hearing ads lately for a service called Cinch or cynch or some such that does tank exchange deliveries to your door on kind of a subscription basis.  They don't serve my area but may be something for other folks around here

I've got five 20-pounders that I rotate through the forge setup (it takes two 20-pounders daisy-chained together) and a 40-pounder on the oxypropane torch. Nothing worse than running out of propane at a critical moment!

Will, yes.  It is cheaper by the gallon to refill than to exchange and you only pay for what you receive.  I rarely completely empty a tank and would lose the value of the remaining propane by exchanging in addition to paying more per gallon and trusting that the tank I received was filled to capacity.  That said, in some urban and suburban areas it may be tough to find a place that refills tanks.  Exchange places are all over.

Re places that want to exdhange or sell you a new tank:  There is more profit for them in doing what they want than the one time charge (the last time I had it done IIRC it was $12) for recertification which is good for 12 years.

Finally, bigger is usually better in use because a large mass is harder to freeze up while using it.  However, there are significant problems with moving larger tanks around.  A full 30# tank is about as much as I can handle.  I have a dirt floor shop (former stable) and rolling them is not an option like it would be on a concrete floor.  I have had issues with 20# tanks freezing up on my forge but that is rare with the 30# tanks unless it is nearly empty.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

7 hours ago, Paul TIKI said:

M.J.Lampert It's a 1500 2wd short bed with a v6 and a Gen Z Anti Theft Device, I mean Standard Transmission, which surprised the heck out of me.  A very pleasant surprise.

I always heard that as a millennial anti theft (either way it wont keep this teenager from driving it :D). 

M.J.Lampert

Gewoon IK yes, it's a manual.  It's seems so uncommon to come across those anymore.  I wasn't even aware that trucks still had Manual transmissions anymore.  I look foward to seeing how much better mileage it will get compared to my last truck.

Anyone want a wrecked Silverado?

Dave 51B... three on the tree?  That's something I haven't heard in a long while.  even longer since my last attempt to drive one.  I was the new guy on a used car lot and they told me to move an old dodge truck around to the back.  That poor truck's clutch when I got done...