Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The story goes like this way:

A couple of weeks ago, at the local craiglist I found a cheapo lever hoist with 3 m roller chain, load capacity 750 kg

Last week I went to visit a friend and he had several lever/chain hoists and this one followed me home. Load capacity 1500 kg, link chain length 1.5 m.

Both of them vintage German BKS ZugHub hoists at some point the company started being called Yale ...

RTlGyKG.jpg

fmk3B3W.jpg

IWcEDUt.jpg

Also this nice treasure was  tugged along with the bigger chain hoist, almost certain German Solingen scissors more then 100 years old, cuts as if it is brand new. Ruler 400 mm long. Just look at the craftsmanship of the pivot that connects the hinge! If you guys know the correct origin and age of the scissors, please let me know.

WV8MEyM.jpg

Rppjhqr.jpg

l4tAHah.jpg

The small lever hoist handle is  bent. Do you guys think that I can toss this handle in the forge and straighten it?

Thanks

Last year I built an anvil from chunks of steel. It has served this beginner pretty well but the top surface is only mild steel and the deep gouges & dents are beginning to be a problem, at least in how I feel about it.

I saw these 88lb Vevor/Acciaio on eBay the other day for cheaper than I've ever seen them, so decided to pull the trigger. I'm still a beginner and these are still aimed at my demographic, so probably a pretty good fit.

It arrived this morning.

Some time with wire brush & abrasives converted into something I don't mind looking at. Also, I was quite surprised that less than 5 minutes with a narrow belt air grinder is all it took to fit the hardy hole for my 1" tools (the Vevor site specs the hardy hole at .9 inches (22mm) so I expected that to be more work)

Here it is sitting on the one I made last year.

FYI mine weighs in at 130lbs. I think the "missing" mass between the arch on the Vevor could make a significant difference, but I'm gonna try it out for a while before I start getting goofy with it.

vevor.thumb.jpg.23a2d53b22e397b63c891f257b5ca0a7.jpg

I waited too long so couldn't edit, but what I meant above when I said "mine weighs in at 130lbs." I meant the one I made, i.e. the one Acciaio is setting on. The MD40 Acciaio obviously doesn't weigh that much. Maybe obvious, but didn't seem clear when I re-read it.

Picked up a little toolbox and a heavy stepstool from the industrial surplus place. (They were supposed to be holding a tool cabinet for me, but couldn’t find it. I’m waiting to hear back about that.)

15096461-D808-4964-AB08-4C31DC49263B.thumb.jpeg.3c2a632d49cc71691c02f011fe3c4900.jpeg

Also, Frazer gave me a nice little soapstone holder when I visited his shop yesterday. I look forward to using it!

3D2335A3-B20D-4EE6-840F-D44B083B41B9.thumb.jpeg.0aa3a4fa21915a9bd973e6652daad8a1.jpeg

That step stool came in quite handy. Honestly, it came as no surprise that you just so happened to come prepared.

I would say you should stop at the surplus store more often but I think, depending on who you ask, you're there plenty often as it is.

Did anyone got expirence and luck to get some free stuff extre when you buy something.

One blacksmith from other city i went with my car to buy anvil and forge that he sold me, gave me two hammers extra, files, hot chisel, and screws.

He is electrician but he use to work with smithing too.

23 hours ago, natkova said:

Did anyone got expirence and luck to get some free stuff extre when you buy something.

My welding supply guy gave me a handful of soapstone refills when I went to refill my propane tanks. Lovely gesture, which slightly offer the current high price of propane. 

TwistedWillow just kept throwing stuff in my car when I went there to buy an anvil and post vice! Super appreciated. 

Regarding the masonry chisel, I use one as my hot cut since I didn't already have one made. Mine is a bit wider than yours but yours would do fine for smaller stock! Also would work as a hot chisel for making grooves for fancy twists or whatever. 

Got this 40oz (2.5lb) ball peen at a tool surplus store. I tried it out yesterday on some 3/4 square, and maybe it was just because I was excited to use it, or because I haven’t forged in a while, or because the steel was really hot, but it was moving the steel quickly! It felt really good! The only problem is that my primary 2.2 lb. cross peen might start collecting some dust…

23313182-FE65-43C0-9A86-FBE07620358F.jpeg

If the hammer works, the hammer works. Just make sure you've softened the edges of the face (no sharp dents!) and sanded the finish off the handle (no blisters!) before you make it your primary hammer.

Part of that hammer's increased ability to move material is - perhaps obviously - due to the increased overall weight (which is biased toward the flat face). Another big contributor would be if the ball peen has a smaller face (in terms of square inches) vs the cross peen. The less material you're working on at a time the further it moves per strike. Half on half off blows work on the same principle.

It's always nice to find a hammer that plays nice with your swing.