I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I scored some scrap stainless steel perforated sheet from work this week. This is 3/16" thick, with 1/2" diameter holes. I cut a few pieces out and made some little dishes. I really like how they turned out. I'm going to to find some stainless bolts, stick three of them in a pattern through the holes, and tig-weld them on as feet for stability. I may also just put a nut on the bolt to let customers adjust the feet as they like.

I was surprised how well it formed, but there is a lot of open space in the pattern. Stainless has almost a "gooey" feel to it under the hammer.

st.st perf metal 3_16in.jpg

st.st.perf dishes.jpg

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by the industrial surplus place and picked up a couple of organizers on sale. 

27F155DA-275D-4181-8960-A34FA8E70356.thumb.jpeg.41d960f497eec69c1ec7e366964d9a31.jpeg

(Convenient timing, as I’ve been sorting out my supply of nuts and bolts.)

FYI, here’s a panorama of about 1/3 of the place:

D43826F9-8794-4B8C-9088-6E823305A1A0.jpeg

That is huge.  I'd like to visit it.  Not comparing, but just a memory, as a kid when I first started buying tools, there was a place called "Marv's Bargain Barn", a quonset hut filled with pure junk surplus and tools.  I remember to this day buying a wooden handled screwdriver set.  They just pressed the driver shaft into a round hole, no glue, ferrule or anything.  The handle just turned on the shaft.  I tried glueing them but it wouldn't hold so I used a vicegrips on the shaft and the blades bent and the phillips heads sheared off.

Edited by Scott NC

I stated out using a speedy stitcher, but I had a lot of problems with heavier leather and keeping the stitching pulled even. So, I switched to punching and even marking/drilling heavy three layer leather sheaths. Then, using a saddle stitch. Ended up looking better (not good yet!) and I’m pretty sure it’s stronger. (Just my thoughts and experiences…)

Keep it fun,

David

we use them for fast repairs in the back country as on horse gear or packs they work great as long as you don't apply side pressure (breaks the needles) I noticed that this one I bought isn't set as deep in the wood as the older ones that my father owns (could just be years of use that pressed it in deeper)

We use the pro sewing awl which has the spool of thread exposed so you use your thumb to control the stitch tension. Works like a charm once you get used to setting the stitch length. On hard/thick leather soaking it in water makes sewing a breeze with a sewing/lacing pony.

Oh great my Speedy Stitcher IS one of the old ones like your Father's! Heck mine is a Speedy Stitch it's so old the company was to small to afford the er! 

When I want even and solid I use my awl, triangular needles and a saddle stitch. For a while we had fun altering stitch patterns by alternating holes  and or reversing direction, I liked the around the edge X pattern though the chevron was attractive too. It's been so long I'd have to relearn them.

I need to make a cover for the Hawk a friend bought me for Christmas. Maybe I'll start playing with stitch patterns. I wonder if I can find my edger and groovers. Hmmmm, down in the basement. . . DRATS!:(

Frosty The Lucky.

The previous owner passed away but his wife said he had used it shortly before.  It looks like the printer input has been upgraded.  The old input board was in the case and had just a printer cable input.  The one that is installed has printer cable, SD card input and its own power supply.  It came with the water pump, coaxial fan and flex duct so I can install it indoors.  There is an SD card with it so may have some usable files.  I hope to check it out Sunday.  

Kdash, I had the same situation after my wife passed away with all her fiber stuff (spinning and weaving).  Some went to musems and libraries.  Some went to her friends.  And some to the local fiber group to be divided up amongst her friends there.

I suggest that you high grade the ones that you think you would use (I really lust after that box of blue ones shown in the photos) and then donate the rest to a craft or beading group.  You could put her name on each box so that folk woud remember and think of her when they used them.

I am assuming you inherited them after her passing, not in the sense of "inherited" when she was downsizing and passed them to you.

My condolences for her passing if that is what happened.

George

Thank you, she hasn't passed yet but only has a couple weeks left at best.  She wanted me to have them so I drove from Michigan to Southern California, over 5000 miles round trip, in my 20 year old pickup to say goodbye and pick them up.  My daughter and niece has expressed some interest in making some things.  These are mostly high quality beads, alot of natural stone.  

Yea I was planning to do that.  There are some ceramic beads our mother made from an impression of our grandmothers jewelry.  She used to give all the grandkids ornaments for Christmas.  I am going to use those to make ornaments for them all. 

20230508_221419.jpg