• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nodebt, now your avatar will emblazen the top of page 444, for eternity!

Igor the Eyesore is tall enough at 25' but the slope of my property makes every rigging job fraught with hazard.  I do have two trees of sufficient height and girth, but the catenary tension will be stupendous. :blink:

Robert Taylor

Rats!  I might have to change my avatar photo.  Ole whiskers is getting boring.  Haha, I thought you were calling it Igor the Eyesore before I read on.  :D

I bet that lift comes in handy.  I have nothing that high to reach.  Now if it came with all terrain tires.....

20200808_143903.thumb.jpg.6f326f373555eccea5c93fc15646f1c7.jpg

Got these today. A little Colombian bench vice, 3 1/2", little top tool i found i a box of hammers, nice little 2#(or so) cross pein, and a combo square level protracter thing i cant for the life of me remember the name of. $45. Vice and square thing worth it in my opinion. I like the little baby hardy hole in the vice.

Also found this in my barn, new turning wrench it looks like to me. 

20200808_145456.thumb.jpg.0411d442019dbcc23803497bd6cc018a.jpg

Finished cleaning this up.  From a box lot at an auction, buried beneath the chisels and a couple of planes.  The handle is new and of no interest [I put it back on for display]  but the head is forged--one long piece folded over and welded together with a high carbon steel bit and poll. I started one of these in a class but never finished it.  I figure it is either a very old axe or the product of a contemporary smith that did not age well [the axe, not the smith].  It will never but used but I like the age it shows.

It followed me home as do many auction lots.  Two of the regional auctioneers seem to get all of the barns , Amish, and rural properties to clean out and are of the most interest to me.IMG_4427.thumb.jpeg.489d814a7af22b159caabd1e1aa0e766.jpegIMG_4430.thumb.jpeg.4c411f6c8637f18dfdba759d03bc91d5.jpegIMG_4428.thumb.jpeg.d0b08aab0558e23637dffef0cd2d5acc.jpegIMG_4431.thumb.jpeg.94a1a7e14ff970399b1706fd5fb297d7.jpeg

Yesterday’s flea market finds: a nice big tap wrench and a lovely pair of Swiss dressmaker’s shears in excellent shape (dirty, but nice and sharp). With an old 7/8” - 1” wrench thrown in for good measure, $15 for for the lot. 

8B5FC4C9-E898-4991-BA14-0B010DBE9297.jpeg

Billy, I use a wrench like that at work constantly. I would like to get a couple more in different sizes. I like them better than pipe wrenches on unions, and other parts because they don't leave teeth marks.

The protractor head is part of a combination square set. The other two pieces would be a 90 / 45 degree head, and a vee head for centerlining round stock. Who is the maker?

Went and bought two steel drums from a guy nearby, turned out to be a teacher I had in high school. Figure I will try my hand on a 55 gallon forge before I start welding one from steel. The 2nd one I figured I could use to store coal in. Used to contain diesel in the 1970s.

rhbHJGr.jpg

Also picked up an old axe head, currently marinating in the electrolysis solution

bAgkMWD.jpg

Be very careful how you cut that drum, you'd be amazed how many decades an old fuel oil drum can maintain a flammable air fuel ratio. They make quite the boom.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the hatchet head turns out.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm gonna let them air out a few days and also fill with water. I left the hatchet head in the solution overnight and it will keep on going while I am at work today.

I wonder if I should've gotten a third barrel, been thinking of making a stove too to burn scrap wood in. Oh well gotta pace the projects out...

OK here's how the axe head turned out:

sKHzpIs.jpg

24fpDXN.jpg

Brand is Kellokoski, they where the 2nd  most popular finnish axe makers, Billnäs was always the market leader, but this axe looked so much like a Billnäs I thought it was one until I got it cleaned up. Kellokoski copied the Billnäs look since they where no.1 in peoples minds.

rcdpnsQ.jpg

The eye looks like maybe it was forge welded together? Or how to interpret those edges at the front and back, looks like two seams meeting, maybe just the drift that was like that?

5isEges.jpg

Yeah I believe most of these axes where iron with a forge welded on steel for edge. They made them for quite a long time though and the method of construction changed over time though, the latter ones I think where all steel, think they stopped making them around the 70s.

A quick trip to the industrial surplus place netted me a box of ten 14” discs for the cutoff saw ($30), a dirty but perfectly serviceable leather welding jacket ($20), and an auto-darkening welding mask ($40). That last needs new batteries, but that shouldn’t be an issue. 

7F5E9E28-7075-40C8-A5D0-E766ABFAB314.jpeg

I have used elevator weights to fashion an anvil "hold down". They were discarded by a crew that was refurbishing an elevator.

I picked some of them up and added them to my scrap pile.

I attached them to an automobile timing chain. (metal one of course), and fitted same on the anvil.

SLAG.