I Forge Iron

It followed me home

The 5hp motor for The Pressciousss followed me home from the repair shop. I gave them a 2hp motor that I will never use, as it needs (and I ain't got) three-phase power. Just keeping on their good side.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You may end up regretting getting rid of that motor.  A 2 HP, 3 PH motor can be hooked up to single phase with a VFD and makes a dandy motor for a 2 x 72 belt grinder.  Of course if it was an ODP motor you are probably best letting it go.

My 2x90 runs fine off a 1-1/2hp TEFC motor, so it's unlikely that I'll be investing in building another any time soon, especially since I don't have the budget for a VFD. As it is, I'm rid of something I don't want and can't use, and I've garnered a bit of goodwill. 

(There's also the fact that it was a tang-drive motor, and I don't know how well it would have worked with a grinder setup.)

to be surprise the thing screech bit and after a bit more wd40 dowing it started moving alot of hvare. andone have experience with these? im thinking its either from a little hvfac furnace or automotive related. btw that lever closes to 2 small outlets

blower.jpg

Didn’t quite follow me home, but the seven pieces of WI I purchased on eBay arrived today. All 3/4” round bars 8” long. Covered in some reddish-orange paint. 

Siti don’t know what I will use them for,  Maybe forge square and then forge weld them into a hammer blank.  Maybe draw them out and use them for handles for coffee measuring cups.

While I have not had much time in the forge lately I have been keeping my eye out for useful stuff. It seems like more stuff pops in in the southern part of the state then in the northern where I live. Since my lovely wife lives in the southern part I convinced her to drag home a couple of hand crank blowers for me. The first is a I think a Lancaster 140 which was smaller then I was looking for, and the second is a Buffalo 300. The Buffalo should work nicely for the water cooler coal forge I’m in the process of building. 

I havent got it out of the car trunk yet... so no pics- but I recieved a gift box from a guy while at work today.

Approximately 80-100? lbs of steel overhead gantry crane wheels, probably 20 feet of 3/8"? crane chain, and the 4-5" diameter crane hook its connected to.

One of those- "my buddy makes stuff with steel if you ever come across some" deals. Dunno what I'm doing with it yet...lol.

But, anything free is worth saving up for!:D

Thought crossed my mind... two things kind of... tempering that idea though. 

1. Room, or the lack of.

2. The guy that gave me the stuff repairs cranes. Big ones. So if he had this stuff- it probably was parts replaced for a reason. Which scares me for structural use.

What I've wanted to do for a long time was weld up links of  a chain to use as a mailbox mount for the house. One end cemented in the ground, chain welded in an arc up to the mailbox. Hmmmm....

I have found that where equipment might not get reused for liability reasons for LARGE Multi-Ton critical systems; it is often still way over spec for "personal use".  So ask him!

Add bat wings to the chain and make a Dragon's head cover for the mail box.  AND CEMENT IT IN GOOD!

Well as is my want, I went to the scrapyard Saturday morning and wandered around a while. I didn't find much as they have stopped buying and so new stuff isn't showing up much. They are only staying open by selling car parts and scrap metal to folks like me...

Anyway I saw a hand forged item sticking out of a pile. I first thought it might have been a farm repair for a hydraulics lever but when I got home and cleaned it off I immediately knew that it was a hack for use with a power hammer.  I take it as a sign that I should be working on getting my powerhammers working!