I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Sorry, Goon Show references are lost on me. When I moved to AK there wasn't any BBC being shown in S. Cal. the "cable" we were hooked up to was for signal strength and only carried the networks and PBS. When I got here, TV was ground mailed up, some was two WEEK delay. it was a huge improvement when one of the networks started air freighting tapes up and it was only two day delay for news and real money maker TV shows. Then someone started air mailing it up and we were down to ONLY one day delay! 

Just imagine how it was to catch the news only one day after folks in S. America or Africa saw it. 

It was about the one day delay days we started HEARING Monte Python and the Hitch Hiker's Guide on PBS radio. When Hitch Hiker's Guide started hitting PBS TV we'd all gather to watch it at the friend with the largest screen TV's place. 

I'd never heard of the Goon Show until you brought it up a while ago. I've watched parts on Youtube but that's about it. 

Wish I could play along but I'm afraid I've lived a sadly deprived of BBC humor life.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My great-grandfather was an early adopter of cat’s-whisker radio when he was in Alaska from 1887-1933. With crystal-clear reception of European signals coming over the Arctic, he found himself much better informed of world events than the folks back home.

Don’t know if he would have appreciated the Goon Show, though. 

GASP; no Goon Show!  Frosty You are hereby written out of the will!   

I generally check around the area where I find something just in case.  The strange thing was there wasn't *anything* to deal with tools or even garage junk around it, just some chicken wire; which with the encrustation of the piece made me wonder if it had been used as a stake...

I got a whole load of antique brace and bit auger bits, plus a really weird looking hammer thingy and a nice little hatchet. I also got a little Craftsman sharpening stone, which is in good shape.  Any idea what the hammer thing is in the back of the first picture?

93BA858C-D6E1-46A8-AD81-AD4E4AFECA29.jpeg

DA2DE092-64EC-493A-A9A8-F044729D122A.jpeg

541A31F7-E89D-4D48-B17E-3FD40EE81A62.jpeg

You have me on the hammer thingy I almost want to think it's for chinking but those usually have short handles. 

I'd call the small hatchet a roofing hatchet.

We used to call round sharpening stones Ax stones. Used in the palm of your hand to sharpen or hone an ax blade in the field.

Frosty The Lucky.

speaking of stones i found this 2 sided stone for a couple bucks at a second hand store, looks to me they're arkansas perhaps?? what you guys think? they something like 400 and 800 grit which is perfect for refining a secondary bevel me thinks.  you guys have any advice on maintenance for these things? ive never owned a real stone before  (at least it looks real to me but im far from an expert obviously) 

stone.jpg

WD 40 is a good oil on a stone as it's more of a solvent than oil. Lube on a sharpening stone's prime function is to keep cuttings from the blade from jamming between particles in the stone, once full a blade will slide on the cuttings and not be ground by the stone. 

I use water on the stone in the kitchen and 3 in 1 for it's litter mate in the shop. The wrong oil can start to gum the stone up, a big mistake I made on the kitchen stone by using cooking oil, it polymerized and turned it into a seriously non-functional sharpening stone. I soaked it in gasoline, let it air dry for a week or so then ran it through a few cycles in the dishwasher. Using it with water means if I start seeing signs of it loading with knife cuttings it goes into the dish washer and comes out ready for action. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I like to spit on my stones. Joking, but i have done it, i usually just use what is close. Motor oil, tranny fluid, WD-40, what ever. 

By the way i do not know if yall know this or not but the WD in WD-40 stnds for water displacement.