• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This little guy isn't actually mine. He's staying with us for awhile. His name is Samwise. I've never had a Guinea pig before, but I love this little critter. He loves pets and snuggles. And hay;) I think when he goes home, I'll have to get one. Add another critter to the menagerie. 

The indigenous folks raise them for food in the Andes. Mmm mm.      Just kidding I don't know how tasty they are. I like the little  critters. They do make a bunch of different noises. I could imagine a herd of them could get a little annoying.

Pnut

23 hours ago, JHCC said:

The question is, was the hay buddin’?

That is a bad pun by my (very low) standards.  

3 hours ago, pnut said:

The indigenous folks raise them for food in the Andes. Mmm mm.      Just kidding I don't know how tasty they are. I like the little  critters. They do make a bunch of different noises. I could imagine a herd of them could get a little annoying.

Pnut

A herd of guinea pigs, looking out on the yard and seeing nothing my lumps of furry cuteness, all little squeaky voices and whiskers. There are people that have a fear of mice and such that would extend to guinea pigs but not me. Can you imagine what it would look like driving this herd from one pasture to the next. There is a Far Side comic waiting to happen.   

On 8/16/2019 at 8:29 PM, Daswulf said:

I'm sure I'll ask where this gas forge has been all my life once done tho. :)

Congrats! They are fun to light! Fun to build too! The sound from my two 1/4" burners is kinda soothing. But they are only 1/4"ers. 

On 8/16/2019 at 7:21 PM, Frosty said:

I only anchor things that really need anchoring.

I too am always rearranging until things find their cozy little nooks. The idea of portable is appealing. This piece of gym equipment scrounged from the metal bin is what I have on hand. the "4x4" is only for reference. some cutting/tweaking with optional stake holes may make it a candidate for a postvise stand.

On 8/16/2019 at 7:21 PM, Frosty said:

gozinta pin

could not come up with search results as to what this is. 

IMG-3128.JPG

IMG-3134.JPG

IMG-3135.JPG

IMG-3136 (1).JPG

Picked up a new leg vice today. It was a lucky eBay win.... £25. Turns out it has 5" jaws and must weight 30kg at least. Its almost seized up but the screw is well greased and looks perfect.

The jaws have replaceable plates like a bench vice which seems to be unusual. Is this a problem? The screws holding these plates in place are dropping out so I assume the threqds are stripping. Is this likely to be original or a badly thought through modification??

20190819_225642.jpg

I picked up a nice chisel at a garage sale for 10 cents.  The name on it is Mayhew Alloy.  Has a sharp ring to it, so I'm guessing it's hardened and is a cold cut chisel.  It has a 1" wide cutting surface.  Can I assume correctly it will work with hot cutting?  Or would it be better to naturalize it first?

p3566451878-4.jpg

Couple of days’ haul: a used 1HP motor, a magnetic-mount lamp, some safety gear, a toaster oven, and an old file (all for about sixty bucks from the industrial surplus place) and 25 lbs of 1/2” square drops from my steel supplier. 

1E44DE37-0C21-4830-AB5C-77DA0A9F7E0F.jpeg

The motor isn’t working right now, but I’m hoping that’s just a matter of a loose connection inside the ammeter box. 

1 hour ago, Steve Shimanek said:

Mayhew was produced domestically as far as I remember, so no need to go about naturalizing, checking passports, etc. However, it will probably be too short for hot cutting, unless you hold it with tongs.

It's 8 1/2" long, so a gloved hand wouldn't have a problem with the heat.

Boy, JHCC, I'd love to pick up a motor like that.  Really hope to build a 2x72 belt sander some day.

My 2x90 has a 1-1/2HP motor, which I’d consider the bare minimum. 

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

I’m hoping that’s just a matter of a loose connection inside the ammeter box. 

Turns out to have been a cut wire that was quickly reattached, and now everything works great. Unfortunately, the small pulley I was planning to use is for the wrong shaft size, so I’ll have to get another one. 

Wow, a little gold mine. Reeltree, I suppose they would certainly make really nice (and very strong!) hooks, but it would seem overkill to use good quality spring steel on things that are usually made from cheaper, easily obtainable mild stock. Were it me, I think I'd save those for a "higher use" application, ha. Anyway, lots of good material there, Les, have fun with it!

Excellent, I envy you having a good supply like that. Recycled spring steel in small sizes seems to be relatively rare around here, although large junked coil springs are available if you can get help to carry one to your truck. :)

The one I picked up was 1/4" spring wire.  The guys at Korney's said to just stick as much of it as I could get in the forge, drop it down over a piece of rebar clamped in a vise and grab the end with a pair of vise grips and "head south".  :D  Cut it off where it stops unwinding.................and repeat as necessary.  Haven't done it yet, but it made sense to me.

:D

That was the one thing they warned be about.................said I'd end up with a much longer piece than I thought.  Oh well, just stop when you have what you need and cut it off.  There will be plenty left.  One of the guys said he heated up a full spring and did that and ended up going clear out the door of the shop.  3.1416 x the diameter of the spring x the number of coils......it'll amaze you.