I Forge Iron

It followed me home

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Don't forget Flint Ridge in Ohio too; while you can't collect in the park; there lots of place outside the park!

Look up a flintknapping friend of mine, Roy Miller.  He owns a quarry right on Flint Ridge.  The fossil type stuff is cast aside in the pits by Roy and other flintknappers because they can't use it.  I have some beautiful crystal formations from there.  The Nether's farm is another place that lets you quarry flint or whatever you pick up.  

2 hours ago, Cavpilot2k said:

Went by the scrap yard and picked up 2 coil springs

I've made punches out of coil spring and they work great.  I cut them in pieces, then I normalized them a couple of times before I put a hammer to them.  Once I got them octagon in shape (prevents them rolling all over the place) and the tip in the shape I wanted,  I normalized them again I think 3 times then went in for my final heat up to non-magnetic, then a soak at that temp.  When I quenched mine, I did them in water.  I quenched the tip end first, then the struck end and left the heat in the middle to run up to both ends until I got the color I wanted.  It helps to have a grinding stone there to polish it right after the quench so you can see the colors really well.  

Some might think the normalizing is overkill, but those springs have taken a lot of abuse and stress so I'd rather relieve that as much as I can.  I also prefer to cut what I need out of the coil springs instead of trying to unwind them into a straight piece.  I think that's a lot of stress on a rapidly cooling piece of metal.  I think it can be done, but cutting a piece out is just as easy in my book.  Good luck and show us the punches and things you get out of it.  

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, JHCC said:

And it's only half an hour from the Miami County Fairgrounds. Shall we all meet up at Quad-State?

One of these days for sure! Quad Sate is high on my bucket list and Deb can attend the spinner gathering, (Wool Gathering?) that runs about the same time and not far off. It's a win win for a couple snowbirding RVers.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, MC Hammer said:

I've made punches out of coil spring and they work great.  I cut them in pieces, then I normalized them a couple of times before I put a hammer to them.  Once I got them octagon in shape (prevents them rolling all over the place) and the tip in the shape I wanted,  I normalized them again I think 3 times then went in for my final heat up to non-magnetic, then a soak at that temp.  When I quenched mine, I did them in water.  I quenched the tip end first, then the struck end and left the heat in the middle to run up to both ends until I got the color I wanted.  It helps to have a grinding stone there to polish it right after the quench so you can see the colors really well.  

I like the idea of normalizing them to relieve stress. 

I've made a few punches from another coil previously, and I did exactly what you said - cut as needed. No reason to unroll the whole thing (although the one destined to become a spring fuller is going to get a few feet straightened out - that'll be "fun"...

Frosty, i do believe it is Oakes Quarry. We just call it The Quarry park. Most of the local people i have seen there use it as a dog walking park. 

I used to live on Flintridge drive when i was a kid. 

Flint is the "Gemstone" of Ohio. Yeah, instead of diamond, sapphire, ruby, emerald or even amethyst, we chose flint. 

Mr. B. Bones.

Flint was functionally more valuable than emerald, ruby, amethyst, etc.

It was used to start fires, ignite flint-lock muskets and pistols.*

And Ohio only joined the United States in 1803.

Regards to all the forum denizens.

SLAG.

* cap-lock percussion firearms came into use in the 1830's and 1840's, they did not require flint.

On 3/22/2019 at 10:14 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Wool Gathering is usually the weekend before Q-S  leaving the time between for flint and fossil fossicking.

The RV is welcome at Quad-State, they have hook-ups for them on site.

Better and BETTER!

Flint is really hard to come by within a reasonable distance here. A person generally has to buy it here. :rolleyes: AK natives didn't use chipped stone much, polished yes and then mostly bone, antler and ivory for tools. 

Frosty The Lucky.

This year i plan on Quad state, it will be my first. I will be the soot covered guy in work cloths. Mayhap i can get the old lady to go. 

On the 21st and 22nd of sept. there is a wool gathering at Youngs Jersey Dairy also, try the black raspberry ice cream on a hot fudge brownie sunday. That is the weekend before Quad state. Youngs is about a 20 -25 minute drive from SOFA. 

That was just a tongue in cheek thing about us lame buckeyes choosing flint as our gem stone. If looking around you can find lots of flint made tools and weapons just in the creeks around here. Did i mention the Indian mounds? Really quite impressive. (look at my spinning hypno disc and come to Ohio, come to Ohio, come to Ohio) 

Any way i found this old trunk in my barn today. ( i just moved into a new house about Thanksgiving and i am still exploring my barn that has all kinds of stuff still in it, some cool, most junk and trash)

20190323_190423.thumb.jpg.b06a69f3d680e8e6db4d8d61323641b3.jpg

20190323_190438.thumb.jpg.fe78b45c560d125121db5a64188d5b95.jpg

20190323_190524.thumb.jpg.fadb88d9fce249763a6e32b9928f74dd.jpg

All the hardware is stamped sheet metal but the nails holding it on are bent over on the back sides. No screws, well 1 screw that replaced a nail. I am thinking early mass production maybe? Any way kind of cool regardless. 

Nodules or lenses? I have no clue what those are. My knowledge of what is under my feet is basically hard and solid = rock, loose and soft = dirt. I know that it is a flint heavy area, but honestly i barely know what it looks like. From the pieces i have seen people collect i am going to guess it would nodules. They are usually kind of lumpy and somewhat roundish. And i suspect a lens would be somewhat flat. 

6 hours ago, BillyBones said:

They are usually kind of lumpy and somewhat roundish. And i suspect a lens would be somewhat flat. 

Roundish would be nodules and a lens refers to layered, strata would've been clearer. The different formations have to do with how it forms. I should've tried looking it up but thought you might know. 

If Deb and I get down that way for Wool Gathering and Quad State maybe we can organize a little IFI knap in and flake some tools. I've worked flint exactly one time briefly. What rudimentary knapping experience is with obsidian though I've had bad luck with local chert. 

It just occurred to me we can forge strikers and flints as a project. If I can talk Deb into letting me bring kit it'll be minimal. Stake anvil, couple hammers, couple chisels, punch maybe, hack saw files a pair of tongs, minimal. Be fun, I haven't forged out of a camp fire in years.

Frosty The Lucky.

Picked up a "ford type" wrench at the fleamarket for US$2  the narrow jaws  make them handy for doing reverse twists.

Didn't get a 16"x4' grader blade with multiple 1: square holes in it. at the scrap yard. Didn't get the two small forklift tines either.  Already have some of each... I did pick up a small cross peen sledge head, a splitting maul head and a RR spike driving hammer head all for future use as stock.