• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure what the one beside the brass one is for though. It's just a small steel one, I've seen something like it before but don't know what it would be used for originally.

@daswulf I think it was your vise I saw was painted red and black. What kind of paint did you use? I'm probably gonna use rustoleum or something.

Alright, I'll have to check it out then.

Found some pipe wrenches and monkey wrenches on CL (near you das) $30 for the lot. Also has a box of files listed for $1 each, gonna see how much I can get them all for. Taking my mom to the dentist Tuesday, gonna go up then and grab them.

00G0G_bWh6tIAAreB_600x450.jpg

Oh yeah, James. Hes a really nice guy. I've bought some stuff from him before. Keep meaning to stop back and see what he has but just haven't had the time. He will deal a bit so don't be affraid to haggle. He probably has stuff not listed. 

Hmm. If you don't buy the wrenches let me know. I might,  lol. 

I'm definitely getting them, I have wanted a monkey wrench to make a twisting wrench out of. I don't like the thought of ruining an old tool by welding to it but with having a few I won't mind. If you want a few of them though some of them will just sit around after I buy them so if you want a few I'll take a picture of the ones I don't have an immediate use for to see if you want any. Basically getting them for $1.50 each so I could send a few in the mail or meet you somewhere.

Ayup, drill hammer. A 2 lb. drill hammer is my most recommended hammer for beginners. If it's a 3 lb. drill hammer save it till you develop good hammer skills or only use it rarely when you NEED a heavier hammer. Too heavy a hammer is harder to control and is more likely to do permanent injury to the user.

When you go garage saling for tools keep your eyes open for that hammer head, they're common and it's oly been recently they've been putting plastic & rubber handles on them. Pick up a few wood handled ones and change it out for a slab handle. You'll like the difference. Honest. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Lil tip that you reminded me of. He mentioned that he lists stuff high and gradually lowers prices till he gets a bite. Just watch, dont let him load you up with stuff you Can't use or Don't need lol. Again tho, he is a nice guy. 

Haha, gotcha. From what was listed I want the wrenches and those files because somehow I've only got a few. He also had a few other things like sockets and random handles, might see if there's a big socket I don't have or a handle/crank I can use. Hoping he might have a useful hammer or two. I've been using like a 1.75# ball peen, I have a 2.5# straight peen but I really need a 2# I think. The ball peen is nice because my arm can handle it but I think a little more weight will save me some energy for the half inch bar. 2.5 is a little much for me right now. Need to start doing pull ups again. I guess being 5' 9" and 125# is pretty small. lol

Was almost out of coal so I went and saw my coal guy today. A lot nicer looking batch than the last one. Weighed out at 2200lbs. Now to shovel it from one bed to another. ugh...

20190309_140610.thumb.jpg.52158d2f57895c9986e5d54d7941f953.jpg

20190309_140559.thumb.jpg.f9680805b9f0eaa1c861f29965350a1d.jpg

Got another old truck bed up on the hill so if this burns nice I might go get another batch and be stocked up. 

$20 off Craigslist. A nice saw I can cut my knife scales with, and any wood I need to build shelving or stands with. Works pretty good. Will probably need to get inside and spray with some lubricant and put a new blade on. A project for the upcoming week.

20190309_151106.jpg

Das, Next load of coal, put several 5 gallon plastic buckets into the bed of the truck. Then have them dump the load of coal into the truck bed, filling the buckets at the same time.  Unload the buckets at the shop, then unload the loose coal at the storage area.  Saves handling the coal twice.

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

Frosty, backed up close but indeed had to shovel it all. 

No scoop shovel, roof too low to stand in the back of the truck? :o

Make friends with someone with a dump truck or hire a teenager?

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't usually go to the fleamarket on Saturdays as Sunday is the big day around here; but I had driven the 40+ miles anyway to help my mother and stock up at Sam's Club; so I stopped by anyway.  1 set of tongs suitable for holding short chisels for hot work, A gas tank valve protector to make a wind bell out of, 4 older carabiners (not the cheap modern HF ones)   US$8 total.  

I turned down the two medium sized wood handled adjustable wrenches and the 6 "ford" adjustable wrenches at US$5 per cause I have a pile of them already.  One fellow had a saw set in the original box and offered to sell it and an old saw filer's vise to me for $4; but I'm past needing to buy stuff because it's "neat" or cheap.  Turned down a medium sized ballpeen for $2  as $1 is my buy point for them...

Thomas, as time goes on in the realm of forging, I find myself getting more stingy at fleamarkets as well. Either have it, can make it, or just not paying "that" price because i have it/ them already. Getting wise makes us more stingy lol. Don't mean that in a bad way either.