• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know exactly what you mean. No, actually I don't consider them toys but tools to make life easier and go further in what I want to do. I just used it today to cut my demo forge table ( over 1/8" stainless). What would have taken me a long while to cut with a 4 1/2" cutoff wheel took me less then a minute. And I have many more uses and ideas for use. Not a toy but a great tool. 

Not the best haul of election signs, alas. Most had been collected quickly, presumably for use in future campaigns. I did pick up a few that had been posted on public land and which I therefore considered fair game. A couple of friends let me have theirs as well.

86E0C526-CBC6-4F25-B86D-4EC773E888B1.jpeg

example:  heat and straighten the bends and then bend the middle back on itself. Leave about 6" for a handle and then hot twist in a post vise  till about 8" from the ends. Bend the ends out and then back in line and point and you have a nice marshmallow roasting fork.  I did this once with a cub scout den where each kid made their own  one at a time with my assistance and then proved them in with hot dogs and smores.

example: take 4 straight lengths and forge weld the ends together and twist tightly, untwist into a linear basket useful for many things (I use them for campfire cooking handles).

example: plain hooks to hang items for painting

As I tell folks "There is a crop every year and a bumper crop every 4 years" ,   though I'm forcasting a heavy crop for next year too!

On 10/11/2017 at 2:11 AM, Anachronist58 said:

Anyone know of this type of vise?

Nice hall of tooling, it's a machine vice, with a rather nice jaw arrangement, you also seem to have a magnetic base for a dial indicator or the likes and the calibrated ring from a rotary table. All engineers tooling. If you have no use for them you may want to pass them on to an Engineer who would, possible swap or sale.