• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Josh, I’m not even gonna lie man, I know a little about the Golden Ratio phenomenon and it kinda freaks me out. Not in a bad way, but like you said, it’s found EVERYWHERE. It amazes me, it’s awe inspiring once you see it.
The Golden Ratio applies to our own bodies, other animals, plants, and heavily subconsciously influences human design as you demonstrate with your cards there. 
Look at the shape of most nations’ flags. Playing cards, many drawers and cabinets, windows, even kitchen chairs. Doorways, the shapes of cars and trucks, the bends in a river, the threads in a spider’s web. 
A fella could start a religion based on the Golden Ratio.

Uh. . . D. I don't know what you're thinking showing photos of the frog in your crotch on a public forum!:rolleyes:

S/He looks to be snoozing comfortably.

Have you heard folks in the S.E. have to be careful of the cold dormant iguanas falling out of trees. :o

Frosty The Lucky.

Truthfully, the Golden Ratio isn’t as prevalent as people think. For one thing, the so-called “Golden Spiral” is simply one of an infinite variety of logarithmic spirals found in nature. Flags are almost always in whole number ratios, such as 2:3, 1:2, or 3:5. Indeed, almost all classical architecture is based on whole-number ratios rather than on the Golden Radio. 

I find it hard to believe ANYBODY uses them as door mats, they're kind of squishy don't you think?

However, acknowledging the truth I'm often wrong I'll tentatively believe the concept but Iguana see pictures FIRST!

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol,

I’ll be honest I don’t have much experience with them,

we ain’t go no iguanas here! something or someone would end up eating them,

I’ve read the stories about people in Florida dealing with them though, apparently it’s open Season on them lizards down there,

so I just figured they’d have to figure out what to with all the surplus iguanas and door mats came to mind! Along with boots, purses and chili lol 

I suggest striking or etching "molon labe" in Greek letters (ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ)  into the final blade.  This format is Classical Greek grammar and letters and you might want to research the more archaic form of the letters and the Doric dialect Leonidas would have used.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

TW, the higher C content for dinner triangles will give you more of a "ring" and less of a "clank."  Unwound coil springs are good material.

GNM

34 minutes ago, Frosty said:

You forgot automatic hats.

When life gives you hats make socks out of em! 

George, I don’t know the carbon content of sucker rod but it rings pretty loud and the rings hangs on awhile,

didn’t get no clank sound with it, but thanks for the heads up I won’t bother making any bells from mild 

Josh, that looks great. You going to bring it to Kenny’s? I’ll have your nail header, it’s still sitting in my tool bucket.

For the first time in two weeks, I spent a couple hours at the forge. Took the whole time to weld up some 1” cable.

B07BBCED-6028-4D67-9984-E0E284C975DB.jpeg.7495216dce7e245c766681d1e5c90db6.jpeg

It’s now 3/4” x 1/4” x 19”. Going to try to make gomia with cable on the outside, the some heavy (3/32” thick) bandsaw blade, and maybe 1095 or an old file as the core. (I’m replacing the cable knife I made my wife that was stolen from her van…) 

Keep it fun,

David

1 hour ago, George N. M. said:

I suggest striking or etching "molon labe" in Greek letters (ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ)  into the final blade.  This format is Classical Greek grammar and letters and you might want to research the more archaic form of the letters and the Doric dialect Leonidas would have used.

Maybe I'll get a rifle or 2 with that etched in.

After church I was going to get a load of composted horse manure for my wife's raised bed garden.  Well when I told her where I would be she got the "totally lost" look so I asked her if she wanted to go with me.  She said yes; so 20 buckets, two shovels and one wife were loaded in the truck. We went down past our next door neighbor's place, turned south on the first irrigation canal dirt road, went to where the arroyo cuts it, then up the arroyo about 40' and turn left and follow the tracks of the ATV they use to haul manure.   She actually wanted to help shovel  the not shinola; not rough as it's been months since we had a good rain and dried it's very light.  

Got home and unloaded and then I told her to go stand where she wanted the first raised bed.  Then I brought a 2x12"x8'+ there and asked her how it should be aligned. Got that one staked in place and got another one and asked how far apart she wanted it.  So *finally* I got the location and dimensions of her raised bed. I'd have fastened the first one together; but we had a cord of wood on the way and I went and cleaned up the stacking area.

My wife was offered and accepted 1.5 cords of seasoned cedar and pinon that was stacked for us.  I'll have to split a lot of it but cedar splits *beautifully*.  Weather was trending bad, cloudy cold and breezy, snow on the way; so I went inside and had hot coco in front of the woodstove window.   (The wood seller also offered us as much of the "detritus" from working wood at his woodyard as we wanted for free; just bring a truck to be loaded!   So the bottom layer and the mulch layer of the raised beds are probably taken care of.)   Cost so far is under US$10 for wood, livestock panels, metal for L brackets, composted manure. I'll have to add in a gallon of gas to that after we get the detritus...

No shop work today! (But happy happy and warm wife!)

wow those calipers are impreasice the eye punch las well. John you look like you have been very busy tiols look fantastix. thats a good idea for a charm piece. keep u9 the excellent work every ody its hreat motivarion for me when i fk ally get time and this bitter cold goes away so i can light my forge. 

love the ttee frog pet and pics too.

On 1/28/2022 at 3:49 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Like the old Goon Show  line:  "I talk to the trees; that's why they put me away...."

haha. I'm here, cause I'm not all there

worked on some knifes finished shaping a 1095 hunting knife and started a few 3-3.5in belt knifes out of leaf springs pics in the future