• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read somewhere somewhen rats and coyotes live everywhere humans do. Coyotes around here though not a lot it's getting too built up and almost nobody puts trash out for pickup. It's also a state law to use bear resistant trash cans. 

Every fall the local NBC affiliate and one of the news papers hold a fat bear photo contest and that little blacky would have been in the running. Ah, here you go. https://www.nps.gov/katm/learn/fat-bear-week-2021.htm

Frosty The Lucky.

Rats, yes. They hitchhike on ships and get everywhere we have.

Coyotes, OTOH, are North American critters - not global. Wiki says one was spotted on the far side of the Panama canal in 2013 so they'll probaly claim South America in the next century or so. Unless ACME gets there first.

18 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced increased coyote vocals when the trains were nea

i hear them yodeling and singing nehind my house where the rail lin runs. i think coyotes have learned to use rail lines as thoroughfares through built up areas. i found a young one dead not too long ago. no discernable external damage so im assuming it was poisoned.

Pnut

When i am at work at night i will go out for a smoke. You can hear the coyotes howling in the distance. Seems there are a lot more now than there used to be. 20 years ago if you would have told me they were in Ohio i would have called you full of it. Now they are everywhere and have become a nuisance for livestock. 

First time i ever saw one was when i was at NTC, Ft. Irwin Cali, one evening one of them came trotting through where we had our pup tents set up. That was about the same time i almost stepped on a sidewinder getting out of a truck. 

One day i was tasked with clearing a space to park the tank. So out i got with my entrenching tool and started whacking away at the brush and stuff. My Lt. comes by and about flipped out. I was in the process of whacking down Joshua trees. They did tell me not  do it before we got there but just like the Army they failed to show me what a Joshua tree looked like. 

On 1/24/2022 at 10:15 AM, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Locally here we have 3 types of venomous snakes 2 venomous spiders, 1 scorpion, a bunch of wasps, bees and hornet species, and quite a few poisonous plants 

no wolves though, I think they got wiped out over a hundred years ago,

theres black bears but they are pretty rare to see one, I only ever hear about a bear sighting maybe once a year, 

we have coyotes, cougars, wolves, lynx, bobcat, black bears Grizzly bears, and i think some black widows only snake here is the garter snake there is some rattlers 400-450ish km from us do don't expect to see them here

22 hours ago, DHarris said:

I wish I could find a non-Facebook link to the video, but can’t. It is at this year’s Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo. My nephew, Zach Phillips, is currently tied for 2nd in Bareback going into the second round. He scored 88 points. He missed a spur, but other than that it was a very clean ride. The horse performed great. Really gave him a challenge. 

Zach is currently 15th in the world and was for a time I think 2nd in the nation. Really a quality man. His rookie season he finished with a spiral fracture of one of his leg bones. I didn’t think he would come back from that, but he has. He and his wife live outside of Gillette, Wyoming. 

good for him wish him luck

M.J.Lampert

Thomas, yes we have centipedes, but I have only seen one here at the house.

Yodel dogs are here as well.  I like the Kit foxes we have with their big ears and bushy tails.

Rattle snakes and sidewinders are around, but I have yet to see one. I have seen some BIG gopher snakes though. One had to be over 5' long. I waited for it to get across the bridge and head down to the river.  Later I realized I had messed up. I should have taken it home, and pointed it down one of the gopher holes on the property.

Another local I have yet to see is a Gila Monster, the only venomous lizard in the USA.

All we have here are black widows, brown recluse, moccasins, rarely nowadays, a cane rattler, oh, and alligators. When I was working as a chem e for a major oil company, we had a lot of expatriates and other non-locals. I put together a presentation for them. At around two am the night before I was awakened by my three legged Catahoula hound barking. He and a five foot alligator were in a standoff. It still isn't legal to kill a 'gator here unless you have the tags for it, so I called the police. He took one look and said "I ain't touching that. What do you want to do?" So I made a pole snare out of a piece of plastic pipe and baling wire, hooked him by the head and tossed him in my truck. The cop said to follow him and I did to a remote area near Lake Pontchartrain where I released the 'gator. He was amazed I handled it so easily. I told him that wrestling alligators before breakfast was par for the course when you do offshore chemical engineering support!

What really shook me was what I found in Houston. We had a vacant lot two exits north of the major interstate intersection of downtown Houston. I had to go cut the grass once a month and once I saw something colorful writhing in the grass where I made my last pass. It was a coral snake. He had apparently picked up his head while the mower was passing over. It was definitely "red touching yellow". We used to live there when I was a toddler and as a kid I spent days exploring the banks of the Little Oak Bayou that ran next to it. I never knew there were coral snakes there.

I forget the correct term, "trans arctic" is sticking in my head but I don't think it's right. Anyway, animals and humans have been migrating around the world along the arctic circle, crossing oceans on the ice. Coyotes haven't migrated very far south of the sub arctic on the Eurasian continent but they've been there for a while. 

THE most dangerous animal in Alaska, not counting texting drivers are moose. I don't remember the last person mauled by a polar bear let alone killed and a brown bear mauls someone every couple few years, blackies not so often. 

Then again the mosquitos are pretty bad.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty The Lucky.

Back when the ocean level was 300' lower there were a lot more interconnected places for travel. 

One of the issues with tracking the arrival of Humans into the Americas is that they probably hugged the shoreline which is now 300' down *and* all the sites were subjected to wave erosion as sea levels rose.

Circumpolar fits, thanks. 

Lowered sea levels is a good probability and costal circumpolar people tend to be sea farers. Native Alaskans and Siberians not only share languages and cultures but many if not all are related by blood. People on the chain hunt together or visit regularly. 

Humans get around but I'm pretty sure coyotes don't build boats though rafting on an ice flow is a possibility. I'll put more weight on lowered sea levels during the ice age for their spread.

Frosty The Lucky.

I read where back in the 1800's yodel dogs were only out West, but as humans expanded Westward they expanded Eastward and are now all across the U.S.

One of the locals saw one out back one day and only had a paintball gun handy. She tagged it twice before it left. She said a friend mentioned to her later that she saw a pink and orange coyote, and she told her that was the one she tagged.  One guy I know uses a Thompson Center G1 in 45 ACP with 16" barrel and Gemtech Blackside suppressor for yodel dog control. That is the quietest firearm I have ever shot. All you hear is the drop of the hammer, and bullet whizzing downrange.  I have not seen any on my property, or any tracks, but I know they have been close by as I can hear their yipping clearly when they make a kill.

My grand parents had a small shed on the back of their property. One day i went out to get something and found a garter snake just hanging out. This snake was every bit of 5' long and a good 1 1/2" around. Biggest garter snake i have ever seen in my life. 

Something i just learned a minute ago, garter snakes are venomous. Their saliva contains neurotoxins, kind of like the Komodo Dragon i guess, but it is generally harmless to humans.