I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Good Day is the shop today, I finally got a good welding fire set up, and managed to finish forging the axe I messed up the last time! A wrapped eye, with a piece of leaf spring for the beard. The eye is a bit on the large side, but I've written down my marks, so I can change it accordingly next time.

IMG_20220123_154629.thumb.jpg.a25b0bd79392d4aae0859839426ed53b.jpg

~Jobtiel

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BillyBones said:

We used to roll up strips of newspaper, tie a string in the middle and soak in paraffin to make fire starters when i was a boy scout.  They worked well and small enough to keep one in your pocket if needed. 

That's what we did in the Boy Scouts. Did you call them "Girl Scout" fire starters? We did.

We kept getting beaten at jamboree fire starting contests, no problem with a one match fire but other troops would get the fire going faster. 

Well. . . One of he scout masters who's name shall be forever be held in confidence made the challenge to use flint and steel. 

He doctored out tinder with potassium nitrate so it always lit on the first spark. The first couple times he over did it so it lit with a whoosh but after he tuned the cheat it just smoked then lit a live flame in about 3 seconds.

All of us carried it in out film can survival kit fire starters. Smokers can roll the tobacco out of a cigarette and use the paper, it's doctored with Potassium nitrate so your smokes won't go out in the ashtray.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nice axe Jobtiel. 
I’d say the log splitter press is a success lol. Really surprised me how powerful it is. This was only half inch bar I was testing with but it still did in 30 seconds what would’ve taken me at least an hour by hand. Definitely need some fine tuning with the one hand operation, getting the rams to stay in line a little better and the next set of dies to fit better but I’m super happy with it so far. 

3D329CDD-DE1E-41D1-892C-713C312AA422.jpeg

That is one heavy duty flue pipe!  should last a very long time.

I spent a few hours roughing in the dragon body and tail, then made a leg and foot. But now that I look at it, I think the appendage is a bit off scale.  The head for him is another one of those "hippo" heads, and I don't like it. I'll try another technique for a more fierce looking head and neck.

IMG_20220123_150918015 (Copy).jpg

I’ll say something that may offend, but it’s just the truth… and keep in mind I say it with good humor in my heart.

I live just north of Monroe LA. I’m not from here. I was raised in Mississippi but I’ve been all over. Up north, down south, out west and foreign countries. And the truth is, Louisianans just can’t drive. 
Rain, sleet, snow, dirt roads, PAVED roads (on the rare occasion you find a good one in this state) Louisianans just can’t drive. 
Uncle Si almost hit me head on, TWICE. 
I’ve had two accidents in my life, both here in Louisiana. More near misses than my Mississippi public education equipped me to count. My old school teachers told me when I ran out of fingers to count on my toes. Well, I ran out of toes to count the near misses on years ago. 
I bought a new car in 2012. The day after I got it I went to city hall to pay my water bill and it was hit in the parking lot while I was inside. I’d parked it in an empty lot across the street. I don’t count that as an accident since I wasn’t in it. 
The fella I replaced at my job had wrecked my work truck twice and sunk it in a wastewater pond. It only had 35K on the odometer when I got it. 
A friend of mine from Texas asked me if trading paint was our state sport or just a sign of affection.

I felt safer cruising the streets of downtown Baghdad then I do when I cruise down to the corner store for a pack of smokes and a Red Bull.

In the shop over this fine weekend I’ve welded some angle iron for the legs of the charcoal forge I’ll be building. Then I went to my buddy’s house down the road to pick up this “small” welding table he found and had offered to me. A “Small” welding table in his book is apparently approximately 5.5’X11’. I’m filing that information away for future reference. It’s too big to be useable to me. My oldest son and I have already discussed using the framework to make a “U” shaped table.

Twistedwillow, here’s that there pipe heating gadget I was talking about.  

D368F5CE-2169-46EE-8EB3-E03259E74BCD.jpeg

And here’s the masterpiece of my weekend. Instead of heating and beating, I did some heating and eating. That’s 17 pounds worth of brisket.

3A8E555C-F9F5-46B5-BD3C-79E266A1F3D2.jpeg

I pick up the older pinecones that are fully open and place them in my pan of hot wax (outside on a propane turkey fryer turned LOW with a steel slab to even out the heat) until the pine cone stops foaming---all the water boiled off and then place on a chunk of expanded metal to cool.

How long do they burn?  I don't rightly know as they are placed under the kindling and logs.  I can say that I never had a fire in the woodstove that took more than one go and the kindling is  much more casual when I use a pinecone.

Safety: remember that hot wax will BURN and BURN YOU.  Use it safely!

You have fun with that! 

I’ve been bit three different times by fiddlebacks! (Brown recluse) I’ve got the scars to prove it! 

also kill quite a few black widows every year around the shop! 

infact I killed one just a couple hrs ago when I was moving a crate from the side of the shop to load on a truck, and it’s in the 30 degrees temp here! 

I’ve learned my lesson about reaching my hand into or under dark places in an around the shop! 

Cut the end welded nib off the end of my cable damascus last night. Waited till I thought it was cooled off to pick it up. It wasn't quite cool enough. Not the first time I didn't give enough time So always give it time then a hand hover test to feel for heat, then give it a bit longer. 

Any hidey place I'm reluctant to reach in without gloves. And I don't have black widows but I've heard of brown recluse here but never saw one. The web from any spider is enough for me. It is probably pretty comical to see when I walk through a spider web then try to figure out where the spider is on me whether there is one on me or not. 

JHCC,

I’m pretty sure there’s also brown recluse in Ohio, but I’m not an expert on them, 

On seeing them an widows, they both tend to be in dark places hiding away, and don’t tend to be in places where you see them, 

I live an work at the same place so I spend all day every day in my shop, so I’m a little more prone to run ins with them then a lot of people,

but I can tell you that you don’t ever want a run in with necrotic venom, 

anyways like Daswulf said all metal should be considered hot metal so why take a chance,

And it’s just as easy to fill the pipe up with railroad spikes like JHCC said and be able to pick up the hot work right away with tongs then wait an hour for it to cool 

I've also dragged field cars in to work on them and been cramped under them when a large fishing spider or wolf spider has shown itself. There is no amount of air from the blow gun to get back under them if I haven't seen the spider leave. 

Lol, that’s about how I am Daswulf! 

When I bring a machine in the shop an lift it up an see a spider run around under there I’m done! 

JHCC, I’ve seen a northern Harrier here and they are not (supposed) to be even close to my region… 

I don’t trust those guys that come up with those wild animal distribution studies… 

A wild critter goes wherever it want to! Lol

if there’s one in the same state as you, then I’d be willing to bet that one has hopped on a Wally World truck and came to visit your neighborhood at some time or another! 

There aren't any dangerously venomous spiders native to Alaska. We do get the occasional brown recluse in a load of produce though but it's rare and I don't think anybody's been bitten/stung/?

Here's something for you arachnophobes. All spiders are venomous there just aren't very many that can penetrate human thick skin. 

I'm with you though, I don't like reaching into tight or blind spaces.

Hmmm, I wonder how many brown recluse could hide in a bucket of RR spikes?

Frosty The Lucky.