• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Worked with my grandson. He thought he was making a knife, but he was really learning to turn round bar into flat bar, assuming he didn’t get distracted and forget to keep track of how long his steel had been in the fire. When distracted, which was most of the time, he learned how to burn steel. Gotta admit though, he isn’t a quitter. We were out there from just after breakfast until well past dark. 

The hood is to keep the flames from kissing his face and burning his hair. It was a windy day and predicting which way the flames would blow was difficult to predict. I need to make him a leather apron and possibly a welder’s jacket. He likes being way too close to the fire for my liking. 

Saturday: Scrapyard, only brought home 70 pounds, most of that as two large truck coil springs; but also some 3/4" round real wrought iron, a stand to make another tong rack, a porta-band saw blade to make small billets with using the small sewer snake that passed the heat-quench-break test, some 1/2" black pipe for chilies and a large lug wrench to make tongs from.

Sunday: after church and lunch we're going to take an anvil and postvise up to the Fine Arts Metals class as a loan to a friend who is an instructor. (Hidden Agenda: stuff I won't have to haul back and forth when I do a class up there!)  If we have time after that I'm going to work on the second hook for my coat rack.  I had some ideas I want to try out on the dragon head.

On 2/7/2021 at 7:29 AM, Kexel Werkstatt said:

Simple bookend.

wow can i somewhat copy your idea

11 minutes ago, alexandr said:

The second year I have been working on the stairs.

it would take me twice as long just to learn those scrolls awesome work hope one day i can get that good

I made a nail header out of a RR spring clip, a slot punch from a S7 pharmaceutical pin punch and a square punch from a car spring. All to make one wonky nail. (Ran out of time)

the RR clip is some tough stuff and made the S7 pin seem easy to forge. I did not heat treat the slot punch but it worked perfectly to punch the handle end with no deformation at all and a lot of heats to get through the clip. I drilled the nail hole before punching square. Still need to put some files to it as the nail got a little stuck but not bad355D58C4-2FC7-424B-9DFC-187777826301.thumb.jpeg.f7c5f3a4b7a2214c606995952b44c91a.jpeg

Not much work in the shop lately due to end of semester finals. I've been trying to get up to the shop when I can I was able to complete this hidden tang Bowie knife I've been working on it here and there since January. The handle wood is from a broken ax handle, the guard is a cut off piece from a pipe fence that was left over from when it got put in. And the blade it's self was from another half of a pry bar from an old project. Now all I have to do is make a sheath, kydex looks easy but leather looks better and fits the rustic old western style.

image.png.c04ea5548af5bbf27315da379c7b2c05.png

Are the bits and reins weak?  Thicker/heavier stock to build them from.

Is the bit length to rein length ratio off? (Long bits to short reins makes the leverage work against you!)  remake with a better ratio.

Is your hand strength low?  Make a "keeper" and use the tongs like vise grips.

I think bits are weak they are thin , i basically used 5 mm like 1/6inch  flat bar and i just twisted it to get reins.

Reins were too long so i cut them, because when tongs want to close and when you want to hold them you can't grip them they opened too much at reins hand.

I think reins are too weak.

IMG_20210209_192729.jpg

IMG_20210209_192629.jpg