• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didnt welded reins but i get them from thin pieces to squerish.

I just pounded with hammer and to be honest i did some twisting on handles too so i can get some thickness, but it was almost in vein.

I figured out how forge work and can i combine my forge with lignite i can.

From late Sunday and not today, but interesting how cool randomness can be. 

Odd bit of WI with decent iron around the outside and slaggy iron in the center, sort of like a “pig in a blanket” or some sort of candy bar. I decided to disrupt it straight down on itself and wound up with that odd- looking, alien smiling face. Any ideas about how that may have happened?

BE3B1346-D52C-40D8-9299-433FFE4221CB.jpeg

4237FFB8-6E7B-4D4A-BE62-970E0B67EFB7.jpeg

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Wheelbarrows have been used for at least 500 years and over a lot of the world. Everything from wood to low carbon wrought iron to various steels have been used for axles.  Spark test it and see what the carbon content is!

I dont have grinder, can i test it somehow with hammer and forge.
Some steels give sparks when you hit them.

Without knowing anybody with a grinder you could use; the next test would be to forge a section to about 1/8" thin and then heat to critical and quench in water and wearing PPE try to break the piece,  If it shatters easily then it has enough carbon to harden.  Check the grain, the finer the better.  It still won't tell you as much as the spark test but it's a start!

My grandpa worked at Wright Pat AFB. He told me that it was his job to feed the aliens. That kind of looks how he described them. I know gramps would never pull my leg so it has to be true. But i am still waiting for my baby fingers to fall off so i can get my adult ones. 

I have an app on my phone, it is free, called sky view. I think it only shows thing that are visible with the naked eye but it show the planets, stars, constellations, and even the Hubble and ISS.

On 2/10/2021 at 12:22 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Without knowing anybody with a grinder you could use; the next test would be to forge a section to about 1/8" thin and then heat to critical and quench in water and wearing PPE try to break the piece,

To be honest I have neighbor with angle grinder, but I really hate that tool I feel like every moment disc will fall of and stab to my face.

I worked with them on job iam not inexperienced , but never had courage to buy one.

In this case, fear can be a good thing, if it keeps you from doing anything stupid like taking the guard off or not wearing safety glasses, a respirator, and a facemask. Fantastically useful tools, but definitely not something to play around with.

On 2/10/2021 at 1:21 PM, ThomasPowers said:

I'd start by looking for Pluto:

Goofy lost his dog?! :o 

Is there a way to subscribe or follow xkcd? I gave myself a headache looking. I shouldn't have taken that sip of iced tea. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.