• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Randy Griffin said:

What's wrong with the jeep?

Welp, it's a strange problem. It runs, idles, and revs, but when I try to drive it's dogging real bad and misfiring and pretty much dying. I'll have to check some things, and do a compression test. Last time I fired it up after sitting a few days it was idling rough and burning oil. Ugh. 

Golfish, that's some nice work! 

That sounds like this Honda Prelude my son bought. Got it home ok, then it started doing what your describing with your jeep. Replaced several things, lots of study of manuals and even you tube. Good bit of swearing. Even had a Honda guy look at it. It's still sitting and he bought another car... hope you can get yours fixed. 

GFH, that's nice work. The twist and that tight scroll are really nice on the far right one. Good job

Hey Das. If it has point's replace the condensor. We were working on a 48 ford flathead with dual carbs that had similar symptoms. Carb cleaning did not help. We replaced the condensor on the practily new Mallory distributor. Problem solved. Only took 6 hours to figure that out. Ugh. 

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

It runs, idles, and revs, but when I try to drive it's dogging real bad and misfiring

What year is your Jeep? Any codes? If you do not have a scanner AZ will do it for free as long as it is a 96 or newer. I will have to assume though that you working in a body shop if, i recall correctly, that you would have access to a scanner.  If you can access Identifix that will pretty much lead you in the right direction. They will show most common fixes along with TSBs, wiring diagrams and a load of other things. Saved my behind more than once. I do have an account with them so if ya need help with that hit me up. 

Something you may want to try. Unbolt your exhaust from the manifold. If it runs better i would guess you have a plugged or plugging up cat.  

If you have a timing belt check the timing also. 

Anyway as with anything ask 100 people you will get 1000 answers. Best thing to do is scan for codes then start diagnostics and eliminate things 1 by 1. 

Thanks all. It's an 08 with more sensors and electrical than I'd like. I have a more simple code reader and when this happened it was only reading multiple misfires. It's had codes pop up for a Long time about the o2 sensors but never ran bad. Just cleared them and it'd stay off for a while. Then a few months back it was running rough.changed the plugs and wires and it was running like new. 

I was on my way to work one 18°f morning and as I was gunning it on the on ramp to get on the highway it just slammed down/bogged down like i hit the brakes or something. It was going but was dogging real bad. Then it just couldn't pick up speed and stalled. Tried to getit going a few times to no avail so I called a friend. It would fire up, and idle and rev fine but no go with load of trying to go. At first thought it was a fuel issue. Then after trying seafoam and some high test, no luck. Then after sitting a week or so its idling rough and i can smell burning oil in the exhaust so hense needing more tests and such, but in a warm shop out of the weather.

Before I really go tearing into it I might trailer it to work and see if the good scanner can tell me anything.

Billy, I'm thinking the idea of blocked up cats is a possibility. Of course theres two. Ugh. 

I had the same problem with my 87 Z24 (still have it with 233687 miles on it). It was garage kept and didn't get driven for several days. Seems a pack rat had packed the muffler full of acorns and dry dog food. Had to replace the muffler and make a wire grill to keep the rats out.

I hate/ love the new vehicles with all the computer stuff on them. They run great and get good gas mileage, but the old shade tree mechanic like me doesn’t have the computer stuff to find the problem. Give me the old stuff and I’ll be able to stop on the side of the road and get it running, at least most of the time,  it may rattle and groan, but it will get me home 

Das, I picked up a decent OBDII reader from Harbor freight a few years ago. Normally $200 and marked down to $69.99. Money well spent, and has saved me more than that by using it. They are running a new brand now, but give them a look. There is a guy on YouTube that goes by Schrodinger's Box , and he delves into what these codes mean, and what can trigger them. It is more diagnostics and actually checking the components and not just a parts swapping channel.  You learn things like how intake manifold issues can trigger an O2 sensor. With a decent code reader you can actually see what the sensor is reading as the car is operated. Mine does live data, graphing, and more. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

The Dodge, you can get in anywhere you need to work on it. The Ford, I can't even see into unless I get a step stool 

I remember having cars and pick ups that you could sit in the engine compartment while you wrenched on them. Now you have to either be a contortionist or take half the car apart to do a simple repair. 

Pnut

1 minute ago, pnut said:

Now you have to either be a contortionist

I have always said a good mechanic is not what they know but the ability to get their hands into places they are not supposed to go.

2 hours ago, Daswulf said:

It's had codes pop up for a Long time about the o2 sensors

Those can be caused by a failing cat. If it is backing up and the #1 sensor is getting exhaust gasses it will not read right and the #2 will be "lean". A bad O2 can also take out the cat becuase the computer is trying to compensate for either a rich or lean condition. 

I work on transmissions for a living but i know cars pretty well, if you need any help just hit me up. I can at least let you know where to get the info ya need.

Thanks Billy. transmissions have always been my bane. not too bad with engines and suspension is mostly easy just some wrestling here and there.  I do bodywork for a living tho so suspension is often part of it. Rarely engine work other than minor. Lots of rads and condensors. The occasional pully or alternator. I've mostly done engine work out of necessity. 

I'll probably be getting it in the shop tonight after the lil one is asleep. Mom is on bed rest (nothing too serious we hope) so daddy gatta put in overtime. :) my dad was kind enough to let me borrow his truck till my jeep is fixed so no real rush. I did replace the tranny a few years back. my luck I got one of the bad ones. Hoping I don't have to do that again. 

I appreciate the offer. 

On 1/3/2020 at 2:31 PM, CrazyGoatLady said:

I just found out I have an order for some cutlery from one of my husbands co-workers. My first paid job

CGL, that's a nice little turn of events! :)

Daswulf, the onset of symptoms sounds like it's electrical in nature to me, however, I ain't an auto mechanic, just trailers. 

Getting into crazy locations helps with any vehicular work, especially boats.